I Didn't Know Blalock Had Other Talents

falcons007

Here's the PFT article from yesterday:

Justin Blalock returns to his tuba roots tonight

Posted by Darin Gantt on June 27, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT

350x-203.jpg?w=250 AP

And now for something completely different.

While the football world’s attention is captured by other matters, Falcons left guard Justin Blalock is going to use his time tonight to play a little tuba with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra.

Of course.

Justin Blalock is a first-rate tuba player,” Atlanta Symphony Orchestra president Stanley Romanstein told Kevin Hageland of the Plano Star Courier.

Naturally.

Blalock said he began playing the offensive lineman of orchestra instruments when he was in sixth grade, and had to choose between orchestra, choir or band.

“I really wanted to play the drums at first, but I was steered away from that, which I’m sure my parents were happy about,” he said.

He said he played both football and tuba until 11th grade, when he let the marching band slide while he focused on his athletic career.

“It was tough to play when I wasn’t in band anymore because you don’t really see tubas just lying around,” Blalock said.

Nor do you see NFL linemen in symphonies, but you can tonight when the Atlanta Symphony plays a benefit concert alongside a youth orchestra.

Blalock said he took a few lessons recently, and admitted there was pressure involved.

“There is definitely a sense of excitement, but I think I’m mostly nervous,” he said. “There are going to be a lot of really good musicians out there and I don’t want to mess this up.”

Matt Ryan and the members of the Falcons offense have the exact same feeling.

http://profootballta...-roots-tonight/

Its kind of a contradiction, football player with a marching band till 11th grade. Being football player is cool in HS, not so much being on marching band.

Lol yeah, and I was thinking, did he have to go perform with the band at halftime rather than take a break between halves?

That would kind of suck...

Aside from his intelligence and durability I think he's an underrated lineman. Strong as an ox and always comes to play. His mean streak could be turned up a notch, but he's still a solid piece that we've been able to depend on every game.

Its kind of a contradiction, football player with a marching band till 11th grade. Being football player is cool in HS, not so much being on marching band.

Pretty sure in 11th grade he would have already been huge. Doubt many people would have tried to bully him about band

Yeah, congrats to him. Its harder to perform on such a big stage. Better to keep busy with stuff like this, than play with guns.

If I recall, he is big into guns too...seriously. He's a Texas boy though...they learn to shoot a rifle before their first words over there.

If I recall, he is big into guns too...seriously. He's a Texas boy though...they learn to shoot a rifle before their first words over there.

I was talking about showing off your gun in pics and trotting out with glock and shooting some one. I have no problem with people using guns in the shooting range or when they go out for hunting.