We Are Not Ten Yards Away From A Super Bowl

Yes we were ten yards away from a Super Bowl on Sunday January 20, 2013 around 4:00 pm ET. We choked though. After opening the NFCCG game with a 17-0 lead, the defense proceeded to give up 24 points and the offense totally went to sleep and got blanked in the second half. We lost 28-24 and blew another #1 seed.

Since then we have seen Abe, Turner, Clabo, Grimes, Hope, McClure, Vance, Dunta, Owens, Pete, Cox, Svitek and Palmer get shown the door. That's a slew of experienced players. Five of em former Pro Bowlers.

Dimi has done a good job of replacing Abe and Turner with Osi and Sjax. But the rest of the slack will have to be taken up by some combination of unproven rooks and virtual rooks like Johnson, Holmes, Trufant, Alford, Mitchell, Konz, Travian, Franks, Ewing, Coffman and Lolo. That ain't the same team folks! Not even close.

Add to that the fact that we play a division winner's schedule that includes the likes of GB, SF, NE, SEA, NO and WAS. Not to mention fringe teams like TB, MIA, CAR, STL and ARI that could flip a switch in 2013. And that's just the regular season.

Keep in mind Smitty has not done a good job of handling the tougher odd year schedules that came after successful even years. Remember we followed 11 wins with 9, then followed 13 wins with 10. Does anybody out there think we'll follow 13 wins with 13 or more in 2013? With this schedule, possibly six new starters and a bunch of rooks and virtual rooks? Alrighty then.

I honestly believe we will take a step back in 2013 and struggle to get to the playoffs. I wouldn't be shocked if we only win 9 or 10 games and miss the playoffs. I think the 2014 season will more likely be our year. If somehow we make the playoffs in 2013, I just hope we get hot in the second season like the last five Super Champions and bring home a Lombardi.

I truly hope I'm wrong. If I am wrong, I invite a good post digger like Idae or Coop to dig this thread up and rub it in my face.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How and who said we " are " ten yards away from a Superbowl? Cause if you meant "were" your first sentence proves that we were. We surely aren't ten yards away now. We have a season to play first. Thank god , because this man ( me ) loves football. The regular season , the post season , all of it. I enjoy the ride through it all.

Naah, it's a legit concern , presented rationally. No need to dig it up.

My thoughts- 2009 was racked by injuries, 10 wins gets us into the post season dance most years.

I think the second year of both schemes means improvement on both sides.

Also think Ryan is going to have an incredible year, SJAX will make play action deadly- Ryan is a master of play action, Jones is poised to take off, Gonzo is back, Think the run game will keep the lulls that we saw in the offense from happening.

Think we'll see far fewer breakdowns on the D side with another year in the scheme.

Anyone of the usual jackwagons care to post your prediction on this thread for the 2013 youth movement team with the division winner's schedule so we can pull it up next year? Didn't think so.

I said 14 wins last year. I'll go 12 this year.

What was your prediction for last season? The usual unbridled optimism?

Anyone of the usual jackwagons care to post your prediction on this thread for the 2013 youth movement team with the division winner's schedule so we can pull it up next year? Didn't think so.

I've been saying it for months. My pre training camp , pre preseason prediction ( lot of pre's lol ) , is 11-4 with #2 seed. I think our Oline surprises a lot of people , and I think one of the young DEs steps up.

That won't be changing until after Preseason , it could go up, it could go down.

Last time I asked you to make a prediction you flipped out and said you don't do that. emot-cawg.gif

I've been saying it for months. My pre training camp , pre preseason prediction ( lot of pre's lol ) , is 11-4 with #2 seed. I think our Oline surprises a lot of people , and I think one of the young DEs steps up.

That won't be changing until after Preseason , it could go up, it could go down.

Last time I asked you to make a prediction you flipped out and said you don't do that. emot-cawg.gif

You mean 11-5 or 12-4, would hate it if we just had a game disappear on us.

I'm thinking 14-2 is fully possible

Anticipating a strike this season?

The defensive ends and the fact we will be fronting rookie CBs in at least one spot worry me more than anything else ....Goodman was not the stud at Clemson that people think ...I hear mofos saying he will be an instant force/starter, but except for the LSU game there was not much to him ...maybe he is maturing into his body, he could be The Freak lite, or he could be a 4th round JA98, we just dont know ....

Naah, it's a legit concern , presented rationally. No need to dig it up.

My thoughts- 2009 was racked by injuries, 10 wins gets us into the post season dance most years.

I think the second year of both schemes means improvement on both sides.

Also think Ryan is going to have an incredible year, SJAX will make play action deadly- Ryan is a master of play action, Jones is poised to take off, Gonzo is back, Think the run game will keep the lulls that we saw in the offense from happening.

Think we'll see far fewer breakdowns on the D side with another year in the scheme.

I'm curious as to how you rate our injury circumstances the last 5 years. I believe we've been quite fortunate in that regard.

Let's take this logic a step further:

The Ravens are not Super Bowl winners. They were on February 3, 2013. But right now, they are in the middle of their offseason.

On a related note, championships are won in the preseason.

http://boards.atlant...reseason-games/

LMAO. Only 2 of the last 14 Super Bowl Champs had a losing preseason.

Of course we are 7-13 (.350) in the preseason under Smitty and Dimi. 1-7 in the last two years. Thanks for bringing this up. Still ringing true.

PRESEASON RECORDS OF SUPER BOWL CHAMPION TEAMS FROM 1999-2012

2012 - BAL - 2-2

2011 - NYG - 2-2

2010 - GB - 2-2

2009 - NO - 3-1

2008 - PIT - 3-1

2007 - NYG - 4-0

2006 - IND - 1-3

2005 - PIT - 3-1

2004 - NE - 1-3

2003 - NE - 4-0

2002 - TB - 3-1

2001 - NE - 3-1

2000 - BAL - 4-0

1999 - STL - 3-1

TOTAL - 38-18 (.679)

@NO - L

MIA - W

@STL - W

NE - W

NYJ - W

TB - W

@ARZ - W

@CAR - W

SEA - W

@TB - W

NO - W

@BUF - W

@GB - L

WAS - W

@SF - W

CAR - L

13-3 and I think its completely possible. We lost 5 probowlers, but all ones that you would have complained if the Falcons retained them. You act like some football genius analyst because you sit back and put a negative spin on everything. If you really are a Falcons fan since 1970, can't you just acknowledge and enjoy the prolonged success this team is having under this regime, instead of casting doubt in any way you can. The team and these coaches deserve better fans than the one you're being.

LMAO. Only 2 of the last 14 Super Bowl Champs had a losing preseason.

Of course we are 7-13 (.350) in the preseason under Smitty and Dimi. 1-7 in the last two years. Thanks for bringing this up. Still ringing true.

PRESEASON RECORDS OF SUPER BOWL CHAMPION TEAMS FROM 1999-2012

2012 - BAL - 2-2

2011 - NYG - 2-2

2010 - GB - 2-2

2009 - NO - 3-1

2008 - PIT - 3-1

2007 - NYG - 4-0

2006 - IND - 1-3

2005 - PIT - 3-1

2004 - NE - 1-3

2003 - NE - 4-0

2002 - TB - 3-1

2001 - NE - 3-1

2000 - BAL - 4-0

1999 - STL - 3-1

TOTAL - 38-18 (.679)

Cmon 70, that means jackchit, LOL....you are really grasping straws with THAT Bush it bro ...

I'm curious as to how you rate our injury circumstances the last 5 years. I believe we've been quite fortunate in that regard.

09 Falcons had lots of injuries. Falcons played the Saints that year with something like10 of the top 15 offensive players missing.

Losing HD & Norwood really hurt in 09- hey really allowed Ryan to spread the field in 08

Jerry's injury hurt as well.

Grimes missing the playoffs in 11 and the next season hurt.

Abe & Turner being hurt really affected the playoffs last year.

Babs has been hurt a lot the last couple of years, Peters was on the PUP list to start last season.

Think the Falcons have had their fair share of injuries. Don't know how it compares to other teams, don't really care.

If we went 15-1 regular season with a loss to Buffalo, and then smoked the Saints and 49ers in the playoffs and then crushed the Ravens n the Superbowl, some of you would ***** about the Bills game.

Oh and you'd complain we didn't win the preseason games too.