How Should We React To People Continuing To Use The N Word?

Nono

Is it not 2013? Do we have a black president? Do we not live in a society of more equality? How is possible that there are still people continuing to use the "n" word? Is it just hate or ignorance and some people you will never reach and eventually they will die off or do we need to collectively handle this differently? Federal laws that regulate people's use of this word. Maybe sue people that use it black or white, ban the word and impose jail time? I am hurt and saddened.

I just shake my head and realize rednecks will be rednecks and eventually, maybe not in my life things will change and people will be embarassed by such hatred because of skin color.

I don't care. **** everyone can say it for all I care. I have had a lot of non blacks call me that to be funny and to try to insult me. Does nothing to me one way or the other

you are the new generation that knows this word will die off along with old rednecks

Is it not 2013? Yes.

Do we have a black president? Technically he is bi-racial, but yes.

Do we not live in a society of more equality? Racially - yes.

How is possible that there are still people continuing to use the "n" word? Really? A word can not be eradicated, no matter how vile.

Is it just hate or ignorance and some people you will never reach and eventually they will die off or do we need to collectively handle this differently? The best strategy is to simply ignore it. The fact that a redneck old lady using a word some number of years ago is a news story is just stupid to tell the truth.

Federal laws that regulate people's use of this word. Maybe sue people that use it black or white, ban the word and impose jail time? I guess we will have to start by giving Quentin Tarantino life in prison. Seriously....no. Completely destroying the 1st Amendment is the wrong course of action.

I am hurt and saddened. They can't hurt you unless you let them.

I just shake my head and realize rednecks will be rednecks and eventually, maybe not in my life things will change and people will be embarassed by such hatred because of skin color. Racism will never be eradicated, but we've come a long way.

Is it not 2013? Do we have a black president? Do we not live in a society of more equality? How is possible that there are still people continuing to use the "n" word? Is it just hate or ignorance and some people you will never reach and eventually they will die off or do we need to collectively handle this differently? Federal laws that regulate people's use of this word. Maybe sue people that use it black or white, ban the word and impose jail time? I am hurt and saddened.

I just shake my head and realize rednecks will be rednecks and eventually, maybe not in my life things will change and people will be embarassed by such hatred because of skin color.

Because only white "rednecks" have ever used this word. Not a single person in history of any other ethnicity has ever used this word. So to punish this one, specific group of people, let's throw the first amendment out the door and sue them every time they use it.

As Peyton said, you are going to bankrupt Quentin Tarantino, but your idea will also take down the rap music industry. So maybe it's not the worst idea you've ever given us.

If you are referring to Paula Deen, I would say that she's paying a pretty significant price for having used that word all those years ago. As for the rest of us, it's not like people are using the word in public and professional situations with impunity. (Except for the aforementioned rap artists)

Speaking as a non-black person, I don't know of another word that would do such harm to my personal and professional reputation if I used it. So what exactly do you want?

Edited by Gritzblitz 2.0

If you are referring to Paula Deen, I would say that she's paying a pretty significant price for having used that word all those years ago. As for the rest of us, it's not like people are using the word in public and professional situations with impunity. (Except for the aforementioned rap artists)

Speaking as a non-black person, I don't know of another word that do such harm to my personal and professional reputation if I used it. So what exactly do you want?

Good points all.

Racism exists on all sides of the fence and always will. Somewhere there will be a white person that hates all non-whites. Somewhere there will be a black person that despises whites/latinos or whoever. Somewhere, there's the Asian that thinks all Americans are lazy SOB's.

And every single one of us is prejudiced to some degree whether anyone wants to admit it or not. It's reality and there's no way to get rid of reality.

Racism exists on all sides of the fence and always will. Somewhere there will be a white person that hates all non-whites. Somewhere there will be a black person that despises whites/latinos or whoever. Somewhere, there's the Asian that thinks all Americans are lazy SOB's.

And every single one of us is prejudiced to some degree whether anyone wants to admit it or not. It's reality and there's no way to get rid of reality.

Intolerance can take on many disguises, as well as any cause. There will always be intolerance.

the werd itself iz juzt a werd.

it should'nt b changed lik thay r trin 2 do wit tha Mark Twain character. thatz juzt censorship n unamerican

i'm not personally a fan of tha werd, butt i think it'z fine 2 use it when having a discussion about tha werd itself -- butt wrong if it'z used 4 tha degradation of another human being.

people who use it az some sort of term of endearment wit their homiez (blak or white) r jus stupid.

#Garrow'z Pearlz of Wizdom

Edited by Garrow69

One step is to stop with the idiotic rationalization that there is some big difference between a and er.

Because only white "rednecks" have ever used this word. Not a single person in history of any other ethnicity has ever used this word. So to punish this one, specific group of people, let's throw the first amendment out the door and sue them every time they use it.

As Peyton said, you are going to bankrupt Quentin Tarantino, but your idea will also take down the rap music industry. So maybe it's not the worst idea you've ever given us.

DirksHR.gif

One step is to stop with the idiotic rationalization that there is some big difference between a and er.

THIS. because I guarantee you if someone calls a black girl or guy a N***a you will get the same reaction as calling them a N****r.

so please **** off idiots.

1. Yes, it's 2013 and yes we have a black president and that's a sign things are better, and that there is more racial equality. 2. Some people will always be racist. Like has been said before, Deen has paid a huge price for saying it, I'm not sure why you think it's viewed as some ok thing. The fact that it is even newsworthy shows that it isn't. The thought of ending all racism happening is pretentious, SOME people being racist doesn't make it a racist country. You shouldn't overreact like a lot of people do, and act as if just because one person is racist it means the whole country is......Think about it, a white person in the South using the word makes the news and gets backlash. That alone should tell you things are different. 3. Some people you will never reach, don't pursue impossible goals. If I were you, I'd just consider the racists morons, dislike them but don't let them get to you. That's what I do with black panther types. Basically, as long as the person has no power to actually hurt you don't worry about it. There are more than enough white people who don't feel that way, as there are plenty of blacks who aren't racist against whites. 4. We will NEVER ban or sue people for the word, and never should. Free speech is a key right in this country. You should be allowed to say whatever you want, just the same as it's your right to dislike anyone for what they say. Legality and morality are entirely separate. Does it really mean anything to you, any kind of change if people just don't say it for fear of jail, but in their minds actually dislike black people? 5. Many people already have become embarrassed and ashamed of the fact that they hated people so much just for skin color, I'm sure more will do that in the future. However, it never will be completely gone from the world. Forms of hatred will always exist, bare in mind it's not just an American problem. On other continents, the majority of people are one color unlike the US, but people hate others of different nationalities rather than race, other tribes and whatever else.

One is what blacks call each other, the other is what's used as a racial slur. However, if a white person says it they likely wouldn't get any better of a reaction so your right. Ultimately for me, it's stupid to have some word that you say all the time, but get upset if others say it. It's not a big enough deal to start a fight over, but it is pretty stupid in my opinion. Ideally speaking, you shouldn't say a word that you wouldn't want to hear others use in the same fashion.

Using it makes one sound ignorant, but it shouldn't be banned; it's a ****ing word, not assault. And the bigger deal you make of its use, the more power you give the word (and, by extension, the racists).

Edited by Borat