Quizz

Jacquizz Rodgers acknowledged he isn't exactly sure of his role following the Falcons' addition of Steven Jackson.

Rodgers should still play plenty because he's a largely effective back and S-Jax is 30 years old, but his role isn't as defined as it was last season. Complementing less-versatile Michael Turner last year, Rodgers handled nearly 30 percent of the carries and played more snaps than the starter. "When I get in the game, I’m going to try to make my plays and try to get my number called more," said Quizz. "I’ll try to make every carry and every catch count."

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution Jun 23 - 6:49 PM

Falcons DE Cliff Matthews has bulked up this offseason in an effort to play both inside and outside.

Matthews, a 2011 seventh-round pick, is listed at 268 pounds by the team's official website. He doesn't need to get much bigger, as the Falcons don't boast heavy defensive tackles -- starters Peria Jerry and Jonathan Babineaux weigh less than 290. Atlanta drafted two defensive ends this year, so Matthews is just making himself more versatile in order to secure a roster spot.

Source: atlantafalcons.com Jun 23 - 12:14 PM

I don't think it's going to change. About 150 touches. He had 94 carries and 53 catches for 764 total yards. I think if he gets another 150 touches and brings his YPC to about 4-4.5, then he'd be exactly what we need.

Steven Jackson's signing was moreso an indication of how bad Turner was but it was also an indication that Rodgers needs to develop a lil bit more. It sounds like he understands that so I hope he continues to work hard and doesn't take this as a negative.

He sounds like he is taking it the right way. He didn't vent on twitter like Snelling did or seemed to do

Guest King Jigsaw

Quizz's role will be the same as last year: keep the true starter fresh. I don't think Quizz will ever be a true feature, as much as I love him. Last year we used Quizz more to keep Turner fresh. Turner was in mid-season form against Seattle. Peaking at the right time has been a problem for us. I bet we strike gold doing the same thing with SJax.

Quizz is one of my favs. He should get about the same number of carries as last year. I don't think we will work Jackson to death the way the rams did. I think quizz has some up side and will get better with experience. However I think his lack of home run speed, will prevent him from becoming a feature back.

i dont see Quizz role being reduced at all. For being small as he is, and picking up the bliztes as well as he did, The coaching staff aint gonna fine ya!

Plus its fun to see him breaking other teams defensive players ankles

(same answer from an identical thread)

I think he knows where he stands.. he's more of a relief type back.. he's no adrian peterson, but he serves his purpose, and serves it well.

He will never carry the bulk of the carries (unless an injury happens), but he will allow the starting back to rest, and will always provide a good option on passing downs when Jackson isn't in.

He can run nicely, he can catch pretty nicely, he can block decently.. he's a well rounded back.. he'll be an asset to the team as long as he stays healthy.

I think Quizz will get about the same work as he did last year ....

Quizz's role will be the same as last year: keep the true starter fresh. I don't think Quizz will ever be a true feature, as much as I love him. Last year we used Quizz more to keep Turner fresh. Turner was in mid-season form against Seattle. Peaking at the right time has been a problem for us. I bet we strike gold doing the same thing with SJax.

Well, Quizz's role did expand as the season went on, but I'm not sure it was as much about keeping Turner fresh as it was that he was ineffective.

Where I see a difference with Jackson is that Quizz won't necessarily be prinarily the third-down back like his role was intended to be last year, since Jackson is such a great pass-catcher too.

What worries me about Quizz is the same thing that contributed to Turner's struggles: the O-line just wasn't giving them many holes to work with, and neither he or Turner are the type of backs at this stage of their careers to make yards on their own without help... Granted Quizz did show a bit more elusiveness as the season wore on, but neither has Steven Jackson's vision to make yards on his own.

I think Quizz probably gets as much work as last year, but I don't think it will be in nearly as many important situations, where they can trust Jackson way more... For one thing, it won't be passing situations that will wear Jackson down as much as running between the tackles, so I think they still ride Jackson when it matters, and run Quizz when it doesn't matter as much, or when Jackson needs a break to stay fresh.

he needs to. I'd like to see him get at least 40% of the snaps and let his role decrease as SJ39 gets going later in the season unless he proves to be a major contributor.

Yea, they want SJax fresh for the playoff push and playoffs themselves so there is no repeat of the blown leads, the one thing I worry about Quizz is this new helmet rule, because his whole game is sticking his helmet in peoples guts and knocking them off balance ....,

Quizz should be the feature back for the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Otherwise we will get shades of Turner when Jackson appears, the opposition will expect a more run based attack. I expect Koetter to have plenty of screen type plays dialled up it will be nice to see all 3 RB'S and the FB all causing visual mayhem to opposition defenses as we can rely on all 4 players to catch and or block for MR12.

O line play will dictate how often Jackson gets used IMO. If it isn't any better or worse god forbid then Jackson may be used more heavily. If they dictate well then Koetter can pick and choose some amazingly cute permutations..........!

Edited by leftfield

(same answer from an identical thread)

I think he knows where he stands.. he's more of a relief type back.. he's no adrian peterson, but he serves his purpose, and serves it well.

He will never carry the bulk of the carries (unless an injury happens), but he will allow the starting back to rest, and will always provide a good option on passing downs when Jackson isn't in.

He can run nicely, he can catch pretty nicely, he can block decently.. he's a well rounded back.. he'll be an asset to the team as long as he stays healthy.

Yeah. I think he will have the same amount of touches as he did last year, although I believe his YPC will increase. When he comes in the game now it won't be as a change of back/as a receiving back, like last year. Last year opposing teams knew when Turner was in the game we were most likely to run and when Quizz was in we were going to pass.