I Crave In Depth Journalism

Izo#2883

As opposed to the sensationalistic pieces that NFL.com and espn displays. The majority of writers do not explain their views very well and their oppinions present themselfs as premature.

Example being how they crown young Qb's without thought of simplified offensive playbooks, or using teams on a 1-2 season roll and declare them powerhouses. Matt Ryan being displayed as the most overrated Falcon of all time while Keith Brooking is the most underrated.

It might just be their oppinion but the argument becomes onesided and unsubstantiated. I dont want a former players oppinion, I want sound substantiated assesments.

As a show of not being narrow minded, I need to present the possibility that my viewpoint could be due to my age and the grumpyfication process thats starting to kick in.

Most of the guys in the media have their favorites, we may not be one of them for most. It causes a situation where we won't receive the most coverage or we receive slanted coverage. We have to win the SB to quiet the naysayers, we won't get credit for anything less. It will always be they are a good team, but.....we will eventually get it done. Hopefully this season, Rise Up!

It was not clear, but I meant it for the entire league and not just the Falcons. There is absolutely no reason to give a player like Tim Tebow the attention he is getting based on football and he might be the best exemple of how the entire branch of journalism is twisted atm. They have the ability to ask questions and focus on more in depth aspects of football and this is how they conduct themselfs..!

I don't even watch NFLN/ESPN. I'm too busy to care or I just don't want to. why people would care so much about what some talking head on TV baffles me. the only guy that I've ever seen get under my skin on a show was heath evans. I don't even watch his ******** anymore, so it really won't bother me again.

and as herr doktor said, there's a difference between hype and journalism.

Two points:

1. Thanks to the Falcon Filter, we don't have controversial players to grab the casual fan's attention, so the attention will be focused on the Tebows, Pacmans, and (now) Aaron Hernandezs of the league. That is actuall a good thing not to be compelling.

2. These tools are well aware that their e-mails and Twitter accounts get blown up when they insult the Birds and our fans, so they want to egg it on to increase their popularity. Don't feed the beast and they'll leave us alone with the instigation.

I ABSOLUTELY agree that the quality of in-depth analysis and journalism in sports is very weak. Even more it has been further diluted by the internet which has given a forum to fan blogs such Bleacher Report or others that are simply to create content or controversy without regard to journalistic values, ethics, integrity or accuracy.

The broadcast media have an agenda. To them it is 100% about viewer ratings that drive advertising revenue, and 0% about either news or covering the game at a level that truly educates and informs fans. The sad thing is, that even the NFL itself and it's own TV network do it, even though they out of everyone should owe a duty to the fans to be 100% fair and impartial. They do this brilliant sport a massive disservice in the pathetic, dumbed down and biased way they cover it. They are basicaly prostitutes, selling themselves to the big market teams and teams with lage fan bases built on histocial successes. If you are a franchise like ours without a huge fansbase, you get disrespected and treated with disdain and contempt no matter what you do, whereas if you're a big market team or have a big national following or a stroyline they can milk, they will build you up to be the 72 Dolphins if you win 3 consecutive games.

I would honestly argue that we are right where we need(or fans should want to be) as far as media coverage goes.

Think about it, most articles we get cover the team pretty well(such as the reports and what not you'd get from yahoo) and the segments on the team usually focus on just that - THE TEAM. Instead of say the Jets who have nothing but articles on Rex Ryan tattoos or Tebow or whatever is the most sensationalist thing at the moment. In fact, Id argue we are heading that direction with the whole Matt Ryan hasn't won a playoff and Roddy White/Richard Sherman stuff you keep hearing.

The fact is most people don't go to ESPN to hear about Kroy Biermann. They want to hear all the outlandish stuff. And who can blame them? Id rather hear about that some of the time then how say, a Seahawks backup DE is doing at camp. I could care less because its not my team and that's how other teams fans feel about us.

Also, its football guys. Only so much you can say, even while the seasons going on. Most of the times these articles/reports just reiterate what you already know or have hear a million times before.

As opposed to the sensationalistic pieces that NFL.com and espn displays. The majority of writers do not explain their views very well and their oppinions present themselfs as premature.

Example being how they crown young Qb's without thought of simplified offensive playbooks, or using teams on a 1-2 season roll and declare them powerhouses. Matt Ryan being displayed as the most overrated Falcon of all time while Keith Brooking is the most underrated.

It might just be their oppinion but the argument becomes onesided and unsubstantiated. I dont want a former players oppinion, I want sound substantiated assesments.

As a show of not being narrow minded, I need to present the possibility that my viewpoint could be due to my age and the grumpyfication process thats starting to kick in.

I saw that & it blew my mind. Keith Brooking was overrated IMHO & I am a Tech guy. Guess he forgot to mention Brookings blown coverage in the 2008 WC round against Arizona on 3 & 16 that cost us the game....OR his taunting of the dirty bird when we played them a couple of years later.

I would prefer not to get the same type of media attention that the Patriots are getting.

That being said, I think that jounalism as a whole has been declining over the past couple of year. With all the information we get through television, newspapers and the internet, true in depht journalism has died, and everyone is looking for headlines....not facts.

Can someone explain to me why Atlanta is considered a small market? Atlanta is not the biggest town ever, but it's not a hole in the wall either. I believe Georgia is the 8th most populated state in the country, and I know there is more to being a big market than just population but I just don't understand the culture.

The only explanation I can think of is championships. Boston is a big market because the Celtics have won (I think) 17 championships along w/ the Pats obviously winning a lot.

Atlanta only has 1 championship, and 3 sports teams. That's the only reasoning I can think of as to why we're considered a "small market." But if anyone can explain it more in depth, please do.

Because it's not a big NFL market.Its a college football city, with a lot of transplants and people and very slow to get behind the team.

We have one of the worst fanbases in the NFL. The networks and NFL only care about the teams with the big fan bases because viewing figures generate advertising revenue.