Team Notes From Yahoo Sports

theProf

Atlanta Falcons

New Falcons back Steven Jackson emerged from spring practices anticipating a major leap in receptions, which makes sense because OC Dirk Koetter likes to throw the ball. A lot. "You're throwing routes to him, and he's the size of Julio Jones and he's a running back," Matt Ryan told CBS Sports. "He has such soft hands, too." S-Jax will diversify the complexion of Atlanta's offense. Whereas old feature back Michael Turner couldn't function on passing downs, the pass game is a strength of Jackson's. Opponents always had a feel for what was coming when Turner was in the game. They’ll have to be less proactive and more reactive now. ... Julio Jones finished as the No. 8 receiver in fantasy points per game as a rookie. In 2012, Jones ranked tenth and tied for sixth in touchdowns (10). He's aiming for new heights. Julio cut beef and pork out of his diet, and has gone organic. “I feel l much better,” he told FOX Sports Atlanta. "Especially playing football, I feel that stuff sits on you.” Jones will be 24 1/2 when Week 1 commences and hasn't reached his ceiling. Over the final eight games last season -- including playoffs -- Jones racked up 49 catches for 703 yards and seven touchdowns.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfc-team-team-notes-052700651--nfl.html

Jackson looking for more receptions ??

2012 completions

80-100 Gonzo, White

60-79 JJones(79)

40-59 Rodgers

20-39 Douglas (38), Snelling (Jackson 39 @ Rams)

10-19 (Turner 19)

0 -9 7 different Recivers

Just where do you see Jackson, Toilolo, Coffman, Ewing fitting in 2013?

Will Gonzo play less??

What about the #4, #5 WRs? will they stay in single digits? (and the fans ***** that they are no good)

Can Ryan complete enough passes to satisfy the Fans or will we continue to here things like HD lousy gotta go etc. ?

Heck of a lot of targets

Edited by delaigle

2012 completions

80-100 Gonzo, White

60-79 JJones(79)

40-59 Rodgers

10-19 (Turner 19)

Will Gonzo play less??

What about the #4, #5 WRs? will they stay in single digits? (and the fans ***** that they are no good)

Can Ryan complete enough passes to satisfy the Fans or will we continue to here things like HD lousy gotta go etc. ?

Heck of a lot of targets

Egg. Zack. Lee.

2012 completions

80-100 Gonzo, White

60-79 JJones(79)

40-59 Rodgers

10-19 (Turner 19)

Will Gonzo play less??

Heck of a lot of targets

Yep!

I forsee, way to many check-downs for my liking...more interested in how SJax will sure up the run game. Does SJax being a passing threat get

us over the hump(SB)? I've never seen a team blessed with more receiving threats. It was "pick your poison' last season

even with MT. I always thought MT was a good pass/blocker...how did that tip Atl's hand?

for me it just solidifies our strength in depth. 3 good RB's all who can catch/block. 4 good receiving TE's with a FB who can block/catch.

Then ther's the 5/6 WR's who have matured and offer solidity & great play-making ability.

No longer just "pick your poison" moreover "an embarrassment of riches!"

O line play becomes the main concern(how quick can this new line become consistent and serviceable) that and Matt's big game mentality.

First team to 30 pts wins

2012 completions

80-100 Gonzo, White

60-79 JJones(79)

40-59 Rodgers

10-19 (Turner 19)

Will Gonzo play less??

Heck of a lot of targets

You looking at the receptions not Targets. Turner had 30 Targets and just 19 completions, I could see S-Jax getting those and some more. It is not far fetched to predict him getting 50-60 targets. Quizz had 53 completions out of 59 targets. No reason to believe Steven Jackson will drop passes or can't haul in most targets from Ryan.

Yep!

I forsee, way to many check-downs for my liking...more interested in how SJax will sure up the run game. Does SJax being a passing threat get

us over the hump(SB)? I've never seen a team blessed with more receiving threats. It was "pick your poison' last season

even with MT. I always thought MT was a good pass/blocker...how did that tip Atl's hand?

Because teams knew that, for an overwhelming majority of the time, we were running when Turner was in the game because he wasn't really a catching threat. Now, with Jackson, the intentions won't be as obvious.

I find it funny that some feel this isn't a positive having a RB that can catch passes. He doesn't have to catch many but knowing he will catch it if you throw it to him makes a big difference. Open your eyes. It's like upgrading to a 50 inch tv from a 32 inch. You don't have to do it but it sure is nice if you can.

I find it funny that some feel this isn't a positive having a RB that can catch passes. He doesn't have to catch many but knowing he will catch it if you throw it to him makes a big difference. Open your eyes. It's like upgrading to a 50 inch tv from a 32 inch. You don't have to do it but it sure is nice if you can.

Steven Jackson will easily get atleast 50-60 targets, they don't have to pull out a feature back in passing situations like last year. Turner still got 30 targets.

It's not that I do not think SJax isn't an upgrade or that I don't think they need a receiving RB.

My point was just the opposite it was about the FANS.

With SJax there to catch more passes what happens to HD's numbers?

What happens to Toilolo number? What happens to Coffman's numbers?

What about the #4 #5 wRS?

I just think the RECEPTION numbers may change significantly and that we will hear a lot more B******* about the players.

IE HD not any better, Toilolo is a waste. Coffman still sucks,

Cone?, Davis? Toone? Whoever? is not NFL material.

No matter what Ryan does there will be nay sayers about the receivers UNLESS each and everyone of them catches over 80 passes;.

Edited by delaigle

2012 completions

80-100 Gonzo, White

60-79 JJones(79)

40-59 Rodgers

10-19 (Turner 19)

Will Gonzo play less??

Heck of a lot of targets

Honestly, as long as we are not having to force throws, one of our top 4 should have a favorable matchup and I'll be happy that we are throwing to the guy that's open. Those other guys you mention will not get very many opportunities unless something catastrophic happens, God forbid, or if we are playing with a lot of leads.

As far as distribution, I expect the number of throws to RB's to be around 150, the number of throws to WR's to be about 350, and the number of throws to TE's to be around 150. That would be about 650 pass attempts, and Ryan attempted 615 last season. For anyone thinking that is unrealistic, the Lions threw 740 passes last season.

Steven Jackson had a 72% catch rate while Quizz had a 90% catch rate. For arguments sake, let's just say they catch about 75% of their passes. That's 112 receptions they have to split, with probably 70/40 Jackson/Quizz.

Ryan had over 60% completion throwing to WR's last season, and I'm going to go on the higher side and say 65% completed to WR's due to the added threat of underneath passes with the Jackson/Gonzalez combination. That's 227 receptions for WR's. Our WR's had 213 last season.

Ryan completed 75% to TE's last season. So that's 112 receptions for our TE's. 90 for Gonzo, 22 split between Coffman/Toilolo and anyone else.

That is the perfect distribution in my opinion. That's 451 completions on 650 attempts, 69.3% completion. That is only a 0.7% higher completion rate from last season for Ryan and in my opinion, very realistic expectations.

You looking at the receptions not Targets. Turner had 30 Targets and just 19 completions, I could see S-Jax getting those and some more. It is not far fetched to predict him getting 50-60 targets. Quizz had 53 completions out of 59 targets. No reason to believe Steven Jackson will drop passes or can't haul in most targets from Ryan.

From the following article, S-Jax expects to catch 3 to 4 passes per game:

"Meanwhile, Jackson is the right guy at the right time for the Falcons -- in every possible way. He adds leadership, power, speed, hands, balance and closing ability to a bona fide Super Bowl contender. Jackson equally helps Matt Ryan and the Falcons' defense.

Atlanta boasts one of the most potent passing attacks in the league, with Ryan spreading the ball around to Julio Jones, Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez. But those guys need someone to take the heat off -- someone to pound the rock, provide balance and help protect fourth-quarter leads. Michael Turner wore down and wasn't reliable in the big spot. Jackson is a pro's pro, champing at the bit to play for a contender.

Talking to Jackson this week on my SiriusXM show, "Schein on Sports," the running back explained his role with the new team: "We might be in the teens carrying the ball, but I expect to catch the ball, too, out of the backfield, which will be another three or four touches. That will put me right around the high-teens. If I have that ability to make an impact on a game, and my tough running, hard-nosed, downhill running, we will definitely be able to close out games after establishing leads." Perfect. Absolutely perfect.

Craig Kimbrel is the star closer for the Braves. Steven Jackson might turn out to be the best closer in Atlanta.

When this high-powered attack takes a lead, the Falcons need a runner they can trust. They need someone to protect the ball, move the chains, pick up the hard-earned yards. That's Jackson. Even with nine years of wear and tear, Jackson is still in great shape. At recent organized team activities and minicamps, he dazzled Falcons brass with his condition. Jackson was an elite runner with the St. Louis Rams for years. He wouldn't be considered that any more. Last year, he logged 1,042 rushing yards -- a far cry from the 1,416 in 2009. But that's irrelevant to the importance of the Jackson. His fantasy stats won't tell the story. Judge him by how he performs late in games. Judge him by how he keeps Atlanta's defense fresh and on the sideline. This gem of a move by Thomas Dimitroff impacts the entire team. Falcons defenders should be giddy.

For Jackson, it wasn't easy for the career Ram to venture elsewhere, but he said he was motivated by the Falcons' Super Bowl potential. In fact, he confirms there were "phone calls" with the Packers about the possibility of relocating to Green Bay. But understandably, Jackson was enamored with the Falcons' talent and how he could fit in.

"Each and every year, teams retool and refine their rosters," Jackson said. "I'll tell you what, we are in minicamp right now and we all know what we present on offense, but our defense is flying around. I think they understand there's a lot on them. People are not giving them the credit they want, and those guys are practicing like it. If we come out here and play to the potential of the talent we have on this team, we very possibility can be a threat (for the Super Bowl)."

There is a growing sense that Jackson could be the missing link to getting this team over the hump and into the Super Bowl. I think he generates a wonderful buzz and confidence in Atlanta. He is exactly what the Falcons need to make a long, sustained run.

Follow Adam Schein on Twitter @AdamSchein.

From the following article, S-Jax expects to catch 3 to 4 passes per game:

"Meanwhile, Jackson is the right guy at the right time for the Falcons -- in every possible way. He adds leadership, power, speed, hands, balance and closing ability to a bona fide Super Bowl contender. Jackson equally helps Matt Ryan and the Falcons' defense.

Atlanta boasts one of the most potent passing attacks in the league, with Ryan spreading the ball around to Julio Jones, Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez. But those guys need someone to take the heat off -- someone to pound the rock, provide balance and help protect fourth-quarter leads. Michael Turner wore down and wasn't reliable in the big spot. Jackson is a pro's pro, champing at the bit to play for a contender.

Talking to Jackson this week on my SiriusXM show, "Schein on Sports," the running back explained his role with the new team: "We might be in the teens carrying the ball, but I expect to catch the ball, too, out of the backfield, which will be another three or four touches. That will put me right around the high-teens. If I have that ability to make an impact on a game, and my tough running, hard-nosed, downhill running, we will definitely be able to close out games after establishing leads." Perfect. Absolutely perfect.

Craig Kimbrel is the star closer for the Braves. Steven Jackson might turn out to be the best closer in Atlanta.

When this high-powered attack takes a lead, the Falcons need a runner they can trust. They need someone to protect the ball, move the chains, pick up the hard-earned yards. That's Jackson. Even with nine years of wear and tear, Jackson is still in great shape. At recent organized team activities and minicamps, he dazzled Falcons brass with his condition. Jackson was an elite runner with the St. Louis Rams for years. He wouldn't be considered that any more. Last year, he logged 1,042 rushing yards -- a far cry from the 1,416 in 2009. But that's irrelevant to the importance of the Jackson. His fantasy stats won't tell the story. Judge him by how he performs late in games. Judge him by how he keeps Atlanta's defense fresh and on the sideline. This gem of a move by Thomas Dimitroff impacts the entire team. Falcons defenders should be giddy.

For Jackson, it wasn't easy for the career Ram to venture elsewhere, but he said he was motivated by the Falcons' Super Bowl potential. In fact, he confirms there were "phone calls" with the Packers about the possibility of relocating to Green Bay. But understandably, Jackson was enamored with the Falcons' talent and how he could fit in.

"Each and every year, teams retool and refine their rosters," Jackson said. "I'll tell you what, we are in minicamp right now and we all know what we present on offense, but our defense is flying around. I think they understand there's a lot on them. People are not giving them the credit they want, and those guys are practicing like it. If we come out here and play to the potential of the talent we have on this team, we very possibility can be a threat (for the Super Bowl)."

There is a growing sense that Jackson could be the missing link to getting this team over the hump and into the Super Bowl. I think he generates a wonderful buzz and confidence in Atlanta. He is exactly what the Falcons need to make a long, sustained run.

Follow Adam Schein on Twitter @AdamSchein.

Which will put him in the range of 50-60 targets. He can probably catch higher percentage this year. The Difference being Matt Ryan throwing him the ball not Bradford.

Ok let's think about it in a different way

615 pass attempts and 378? rush attempts in 2012

what will be the number of pass attempts and number of rushes in 2013

How much will the total number of plays go up?

remember that this defense will have to get the ball back more quickly and more frequently for any increases on the Offensive side.

Edited by delaigle

2012 completions

80-100 Gonzo, White

60-79 JJones(79)

40-59 Rodgers

10-19 (Turner 19)

Will Gonzo play less??

Heck of a lot of targets

That's what makes your offense elite. Having a qb that can spread the ball around and unselfish players around him. Unfortunately, Roddy is too much of a diva too allow Ryan to spread the ball. Brees can spread the ball around hitting 7 different targets a game and you don't hear a peep from the guys around him. You don't see Colston talking garbage in the media after every game do you? that's what makes a solid, unpredictable offense.

That's what makes your offense elite. Having a qb that can spread the ball around and unselfish players around him. Unfortunately, Roddy is too much of a diva too allow Ryan to spread the ball. Brees can spread the ball around hitting 7 different targets a game and you don't hear a peep from the guys around him. You don't see Colston talking garbage in the media after every game do you? that's what makes a solid, unpredictable offense.

You're making stuff up now. When has Roddy been in the media complaining about Julio or TG or anybody else getting the ball?

Trust me. There's no diva in this locker room. Its clear. You're really scared about the potential that you have to try and find something but its not there. Be weary!

You're making stuff up now. When has Roddy been in the media complaining about Julio or TG or anybody else getting the ball?

Trust me. There's no diva in this locker room. Its clear. You're really scared about the potential that you have to try and find something but its not there. Be weary!

dont mind the saint fan trynna find something negative & false to say

Ok let's think about it in a different way

615 pass attempts and 378? rush attempts in 2012

what will be the number of pass attempts and number of rushes in 2013

How much will the total number of plays go up?

remember that this defense will have to get the ball back more quickly and more frequently for any increases on the Offensive side.

Or they could just up the tempo on offence, Patriot style, although I really doubt that will happen

Edited by Cam Topdrew Bottom