Kennesaw State Names Their 1St Dc

ruinah

Not sure if anyone here cares much about little ole Kennesaw State and their proposed football team, but I figured I'd say this news bit anyway. Slow college football news right now, anyway.

Kennesaw State's Brian Bohannon Names Brian Newberry Defensive Coordinator

6/17/2013 2:40:00 PM

KENNESAW, Ga. (June 17, 2013) – Brian Newberry, who has 14 years of collegiate coaching experience at four different levels (Football Bowl Subdivision, Football Championship Series Division, Division II and Division III), has been named defensive coordinator at Kennesaw State, head coach Brian Bohannon announced on Monday.

“I am grateful to Coach Bohannon and Vaughn Williams for this tremendous opportunity and thrilled to be joining the KSU family,” Newberry said. “KSU is a special place and I couldn't be more excited about getting to work with this staff and beginning the process of building a successful program that we will all be proud of.”

Newberry becomes the seventh hire and sixth assistant coach for Bohannon who was named the Owls’ first-ever head coach on Mar. 24. Grant Chesnut was hired as offensive coordinator and offensive line coach on Apr. 16. Liam Klein and Shane Bowen were announced as assistant coaches on Apr. 17 and Apr. 18, respectively, while Jay Bailey was hired as director of football operations on May 13, Tim Glanton was tabbed A-backs/slot position coach on May 20 and Brett Gilliland was selected quarterbacks/B-backs coach on May 28.

“After interviewing several guys, and talking to some more, I just thought he would fit in with this group of (coaches),” Bohannon said. “He has a tremendous amount of experience coaching at different levels, has been successful with his defensive schemes, and everyone I have spoken to has said he builds great relationships with the student-athletes.”

Newberry joins the Kennesaw State coaching staff after spending the 2012 season as defensive coordinator at Division II Northern Michigan. While leading the defensive unit, Newberry coached first-team Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) defensive lineman Zach Anderson and three linebackers who received GLIAC honorable mention recognition.

Prior to his one season at Northern Michigan, Newberry served as defensive coordinator/linebackers coach at the University of the South in Sewanee, Tenn., in 2011 where the Tigers improved their scoring defense by 16 points per game, and total defense by 85 yards a contest.

Newberry’s coaching experience also includes four seasons (2007-10) as defensive backs coach at Elon and five years (2004-06, 2001 and 2002) as defensive coordinator/defensive backs coach at Washington & Lee University. He also served as a graduate assistant/defensive line coach at Rice during the spring of 2004, spent one season as a defensive backs coach at Lehigh and began his coaching career at Southern Arkansas where he was a graduate assistant coaching the defensive backs and wide receivers in 1999 and 2000.

While defensive backs coach at Elon, Newberry mentored five players who earned All-Southern Conference honors and in 2009, the Phoenix defense ranked fifth nationally in total defense.

In 2004, Newberry’s Washington & Lee defense produced a school-record 43 sacks and ranked among the Division III leaders in rushing defense. The Generals’ defense led the Old Dominion Athletic Conference in pass defense, rush defense and scoring defense in 2005 and in 2006, Washington & Lee forced 30 turnovers and ranked among the nation’s leaders in pass defense.

Newberry played collegiately at Baylor and graduated in 1998 with a bachelor’s of science degree in education. He helped the Bears to the Southwest Conference co-championship and an appearance in the 1994 Alamo Bowl and to a No. 5 national ranking in total defense in 1995.

" Tim Glanton was tabbed A-backs/slot position coach on May 20 and Brett Gilliland was selected quarterbacks/B-backs coach on May 28." Missed the announcement on these guys. Looks like the beginnings of triple-option already. Somewhat expected that from a HC that spent much of his career following Coach Paul Johnson around.