New Orleans Saints Tackle Jason Smith Hoping To Resurrect Career, Shed 'bust' Label

SuperAINTSfan

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/06/new_orleans_saints_tackle_jaso.html

"I think oftentimes, you take a peek at a player that was selected as high as he was and graded out as high as he was," Payton said of the decision to sign Smith this offseason. "He is a tremendous worker and has athletic ability. So it's another opportunity, and it's oftentimes you are able to get a player maybe his second time around or third time around that can come in and find a niche."

It's funny to think of Smith as a "sleeper." But for the first time since he was drafted out of Baylor in 2009, Smith has been operating below the radar this summer in Saints camp.

Seems like he has a good head on his shouders. Doesbt take anything for granted and knows he has to work as hard as anyone else

This part of the article made me hopeful for the guy:

When asked why the Saints will be a good fit for Smith, Strief said it's more about the culture and camaraderie among players than scheme.

"I think maybe it's more the techniques that were gonna use, maybe the tips that we can give him," Strief said. "And who knows, it's all speculation, but maybe if you're a guy drafted that high you come in and they expect you to be a player. And if you're not, well, 'Why aren't you?' Instead of, 'Hey ,we have to grow this guy up just like any other player.'

"So yeah, he is a very good athlete, he is very strong and explosive. Those are all tools that you can't coach. That doesn't mean you don't still have to grow as a player and learn the tricks of the trade."

He's still young. If he can find the right scheme and avoid future concussions, no reason the guy cant get another 5-10 years out of his career.

Saints blocking scheme gives a lot of help to the tackles. He won't be asked to take on elite pass rushers one on one.

He's far, far more physically talented than Bushrod and he made two probowls in the system.

Great point, just look at the guy we picked off the Falcons practice squad and was playing a week later when Brown got injured. He had a great game and a half, until he got injured. The point is he came from practice squad and put up a performance that PFF graded in top 15%.

As much S I like what I read on Smith, I also like the possibly to T. Armstead getting a chance to start and maybe winning the starting position full time by 2014

Great point, just look at the guy we picked off the Falcons practice squad and was playing a week later when Brown got injured. He had a great game and a half, until he got injured. The point is he came from practice squad and put up a performance that PFF graded in top 15%.

As much S I like what I read on Smith, I also like the possibly to T. Armstead getting a chance to start and maybe winning the starting position full time by 2014

I think Armstead will be the starter,come game 1.

How much of New Orleans' offensive line success was due to Aaron Kromer and how much will he be missed? I'm not sure but I'd feel better if he were still in The Big Easy.

I hope it wasnt all Kromer. lol Payton has a lot to say on blocking scheme but the teaching part was Kromer. Hopefully Ingall is just as good