Microsoft Changes Policies

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-removing-xbox-one-drm-514390310

"This could be the biggest backtrack in gaming history: Microsoft will reverse course on their DRM policies for Xbox One, dropping their Internet requirements and all restrictions on used games, according to the websites WhatHiFi and GiantBomb.

According to both reports, the announcement will be made today.

UPDATE: Looks like Microsoft is updating their Xbox One Q&A, but the new page isn't live yet. No word on which policies are changing. We're updating as we learn more.

Citing multiple sources, GiantBomb says Microsoft has decided to remove a laundry list of Xbox One restrictions that customers considered negative:

• No more always online requirement
  • The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
  • All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
  • Authentication is no longer necessary
  • An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
  • All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
  • No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
  • Region locks have been dropped

This comes after heavy criticism following an E3 in which Sony bragged about their own policies for the PS4, which Sony says will not restrict used games or require an Internet connection.

Since they revealed the Xbox One in May, Microsoft has faced non-stop criticism for announced policies that could drastically change the way we play games in the future. The Xbox One, they said, would require players to connect to the Internet once every 24 hours in order to keep the box playing games. You would have to activate each game by registering it on the web before playing. The console would also restrict the way that game discs are traded, borrowed, and shared, limiting the number of people who could own and play each game, and restricting trade-ins on a publisher-by-publisher basis.

Microsoft has justified these policies by saying that these moves are consistent with a shift to digital seen on Steam, iTunes and other digital platforms.

By reversing on those policies, Microsoft calls a lot of things into question: what will become of the Xbox One's family sharing plan? Will publishers find other ways to block used games? And what of all the rhetoric of how "the bits"—the data on each game disc, rather than the discs themselves—are the future?

We've reached out to Microsoft for comment but have not heard back yet."

BUT BUT BUT SONY HAS THE JUMP ITZ OVERS MICRO$$$$$OFT !!!!

ZOMG !!!!

- butt hurt Sony fanz!

You're right(although don't know if I'd called them butthurt) I told them in my thread that this evens the playing field now because the casual gamers don't know about this stuff or even understand(some of them) so if they see this their like ZOMG XBOX ONE FOR ME LOVE KINECT!!!! lol

It's great to hear these changes are coming. If it holds true, I'm very open to picking one up down the line.

I have no opinion on the "well this is a huge backtrack and it hurts their image" stuff... it was the right thing for them to do, period. I'm glad to see they listened.

Still not going back. If they dropped the price it may be considered but I don't see anything worth switching back for at $499.and I've been a loyal xbox guy from day 1.

I still think PS4 looks like the better platform, but this drastic change in policy is huge... they will get some of their supporters back for sure.

The price is still a big sticking point though.

I've already pre-ordered my PS4 and I'm happy with that decision since I have exactly zero interest in Kinect and other such nonsense that MS is still peddling but man the numbers on Xbox One preorders must have been far below what they were expecting to elicit this level of response.

Good on MS for listening to their customers though, and I genuinely believe they got completely screwed over by EA (and others) who told them Sony was on board with this DRM horsecrap as well, then got completely thrown under the bus by those same companies when Sony elected not to be bullied.

I wouldn't put if past them, this is the same company that developed windows ME and windows 8

Windows 8 isn't as bad as Vista was I've used all 3, and Vista had to be the worst of them all.

What I really don't get is people saying they wouldn't put it past Microsoft to re-enable these policies what about Sony? least we not forget a lot of stuff that has changed throughout PS3 lifetime.

It's funny the PS3 "It only does everything" advertisement that use to be on was misleading if you knew of the changes that happened. Just saying though.

I've already pre-ordered my PS4 and I'm happy with that decision since I have exactly zero interest in Kinect and other such nonsense that MS is still peddling but man the numbers on Xbox One preorders must have been far below what they were expecting to elicit this level of response.

Good on MS for listening to their customers though, and I genuinely believe they got completely screwed over by EA (and others) who told them Sony was on board with this DRM horsecrap as well, then got completely thrown under the bus by those same companies when Sony elected not to be bullied.

You know, the more I think on this the less I believe this is consumer driven. Ultimately it benefits the consumer and gaming in general, but I think this 180 is due to the preorder numbers showing that PS4 is destroying XB1 even in the US. Plus the fact that their garbage policies had begun making their way into the larger market's eyes with Jimmy Fallon.

Yeah, I think this is much more sales/money driven than listening to the consumers. Like I said though it benefits us in the end and these changes were the right thing to do, so I'm off the hate wagon.

I'm getting PS4 on day one... but at this point, if MS holds true to the changes then I may very well pick up XB1 in 2014.

I still think PS4 looks like the better platform, but this drastic change in policy is huge... they will get some of their supporters back for sure.

The price is still a big sticking point though.

the price is the biggest thing for me. I'm no lawyer lol. Although I started saving money months ago, I still want to have enough to buy at least 3 games At launch. I used most of my saved money on our vacation last month lol

the price is the biggest thing for me. I'm no lawyer lol. Although I started saving money months ago, I still want to have enough to buy at least 3 games At launch. I used most of my saved money on our vacation last month lol

Yeah I hear you... if it wasn't for my monthly VA disability compensation (which isn't much, but it helps) then I wouldn't be getting anything at launch. Right now I'm trying to decide which games I want at launch and which ones I'll just wait for. Planning on probably just picking up two games at launch because it looks like they will have some pretty excellent free to play games available early on.

Yeah I hear you... if it wasn't for my monthly VA disability compensation (which isn't much, but it helps) then I wouldn't be getting anything at launch. Right now I'm trying to decide which games I want at launch and which ones I'll just wait for. Planning on probably just picking up two games at launch because it looks like they will have some pretty excellent free to play games available early on.

for me it's madden for sure, undecided on 2k and live right now, drive club and killzone are on my list right now

for me it's madden for sure, undecided on 2k and live right now, drive club and killzone are on my list right now

I'm gonna try out DriveClub through PS Plus since they are giving a limited version to members free as the first PS4 entry to the instant game collection.

I'm thinking Battlefield 4 + Watch Dogs at launch. I want Killzone but I can wait to buy that one unless it has a really good multiplayer. Wanna get AC4, but I can wait on a price drop for that one.

The game I wanted most was inFamous: Second Son, but it got pushed back to early 2014. That game looks awesome and definitely the most "next gen" of Sony's titles so far.

Also want to pick up Diablo 3 to flex my inner nerd a lil bit.

I'll probably rent Madden. I don't enjoy football video games nearly as much as I used to for some reason.... NCAA included.

I'm gonna try out DriveClub through PS Plus since they are giving a limited version to members free as the first PS4 entry to the instant game collection.

I'm thinking Battlefield 4 + Watch Dogs at launch. I want Killzone but I can wait to buy that one unless it has a really good multiplayer. Wanna get AC4, but I can wait on a price drop for that one.

The game I wanted most was inFamous: Second Son, but it got pushed back to early 2014. That game looks awesome and definitely the most "next gen" of Sony's titles so far.

Also want to pick up Diablo 3 to flex my inner nerd a lil bit.

I'll probably rent Madden. I don't enjoy football video games nearly as much as I used to for some reason.... NCAA included.

I tried out the new NCAA demo and it has really improved, in my opinion at least.

I tried out the new NCAA demo and it has really improved, in my opinion at least.

Downloaded the demo on Tuesday but I haven't tried it yet. Between NCAA and Madden, I have only been buying NCAA. I still remember how half azzed Madden was transitioning from PS2 to current gen... seemed like it never looked or played any better for like 2 or 3 years. So I'm a little hesitant to get Madden. NCAA has been better imo... I just don't get into it like I used to.

I don't think NCAA is next gen this year though. Should be interesting to see what they do with the college atmosphere on these new systems since they have so much more memory and power to work with.

Madden 13 was actually good according to my friend savveyFalcon09(whom I also know IRL). In fact I know Madden 11 was good as well it's almost getting bad for EA the even number years the game is called garbage for both titles, and then odd it's the best same for NBA 2K(sometimes).