Jump to content

Filmmaker Asserts New Evidence On Crash Of Twa Flight 800


Recommended Posts

Filmmaker asserts new evidence on crash of TWA Flight 800

By Mike M. Ahlers, CNN

updated 10:45 AM EDT, Wed June 19, 2013

The film's producers are submitting a petition -- signed by "many" former investigators -- asking for the National Transportation Safety Board to reopen its investigation, based on new evidence offered by the documentary, Stalcup said.

"The family members need to know what happened to their loved ones," he said.

Asked why such information might have been suppressed, he said, "That's a question that should be answered when this investigation gets reopened."

The NTSB ruled that the explosion was caused by an electrical short circuit, most likely originating in a fuel gauge line, which found its way into the center wing fuel tank, where it detonated fuel vapors and caused the B-747 to fall in pieces into the waters off Long Island.

Skeptics have long theorized that TWA Flight 800 was brought down by sinister forces.

They include Hank Hughes, who served as a senior accident investigator with the NTSB and helped reconstruct the aircraft. Others include Bob Young, a TWA investigator who participated in the investigation, and Jim Speer, an accident investigator for the Airline Pilots Association.

"These investigators were not allowed to speak to the public or refute any comments made by their superiors and/or NTSB and FBI officials about their work at the time of the official investigation," a news release announcing the documentary said.

"They waited until after retirement to reveal how the official conclusion by the (NTSB) was falsified and lay out their case."

The documentary, "TWA Flight 800," will premiere July 17, the 17th anniversary of the crash.

Stalcup is co-founder of the Flight 800 Independent Researchers Organization and has been a longtime and passionate critic of the official investigation.

Suspicions that criminals or terrorists were behind the TWA 800 explosion are not new. The FBI conducted a parallel investigation, but concluded that the incident was not a crime or terrorist attack.

The NTSB said Tuesday that it was aware of the pending release of the documentary, which will air on EPIX TV network, and of the producers' intent to file a petition to reopen the investigation.

"As required by NTSB regulation, a petition for reconsideration of board findings ... must be based on the discovery of NEW evidence or on a showing that the board's findings are erroneous," NTSB spokeswoman Kelly Nantel said in a statement. "At this point, the NTSB has not received a petition, however, we stand ready to review one, should it be filed."

Petitions are reviewed and a determination typically is made within 60 days, but the NTSB can take longer if necessary, she said. The safety board's investigation of TWA 800 lasted four years and "remains one of the NTSB's most extensive investigations," Nantel said.

Investigators "spent an enormous amount of time reviewing, documenting and analyzing facts and data, and held a five-day public hearing to gather additional facts before determining the probable cause of the accident," she said.

But her statement leaves open the possibility the case will be reopened.

"While the NTSB rarely re-investigates issues that have already been examined, our investigations are never closed, and we can review any new information not previously considered by board," it said.

The documentarians said they have a "trifecta of elements" that will "prove that the officially proposed fuel-air explosion did not cause the crash." That trifecta includes forensic evidence, firsthand sources and corroborating witnesses, and the new statements from retired investigators.

The evidence proves that "one or more ordnance explosions outside the aircraft caused the crash," the producers said. But it does not identify or speculate on the source of the ordnance explosions.

All 230 people aboard TWA 800 died when the plane, headed for Paris, exploded and crashed into the Atlantic Ocean shortly after takeoff from John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York. Scores of witnesses observed a streak of light and a fireball, giving early rise to suspicions that the terrorists had struck the plane with a rocket.

Investigators concluded the streak was likely burning fuel streaming from the plane's wing tank.


I posted this article because I was originally scheduled for TWA 800. I was in the Navy at the time and was in the process of flying over to Italy for submarine duty. Me and a fellow sailor had the tickets in our hand and were prepared to fly up to NYC to catch that particular flight.

The only thing that saved our lives were God and an angel in the form of a yeoman who made us wait a few hours in order to verify that the submarine wanted us to fly over. Well, they eventually decided that they did want us to fly over.

Because we were on military standby, they couldn't hold our tickets for that long and they went to some unfortunate souls.

We shared the same concourse with the TWA 800 victims. I remember talking to this family from Charlotte who were flying to France via Rome. I told them how nice France was and how lucky they were to be visiting there. It was a man, his wife and his little girl.

I also remember a bunch of high school students (from Minny, I think) who were on a school trip.

We took off 30 minutes before they did. I didn't know that anything was wrong until we landed in Italy and were met by a Red Cross liason who verified that we landed okay. They evidently didn't receive the news that we changed flights until hours later.

My mom didn't receive the news, unfortunately. And was convinced that I perished on that flight, since I felt no need to inform her that my flight had changed. I called her as soon as I got to a phone. It didn't hit me until hours later when I realize how close I came to dying.

I fully believe that it was an external explosion that caused that flight to go down. However, I don't fall into the belief that it was caused by terrorists, but friendly fire. A sailor that I met some years later said that he was actually stationed on watch on a ship out of New Jersey when he saw a projectile go up from one of the ships.

From what he figured, it was a Naval accident that was covered up. Everyone, including my mother, remembers vividly film accounts showf on the news of something flying up and hitting that plane. After that, it was never shown again.

Of course, there no way that I can prove what I said without sounding like a wack-a-doo, so this tragedy will go the way of Area 51 lore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting story.

Yeah I definitely do not think this was a terrorist attack. Terrorist want you to know that they did it. If it was a terrorist attack, there would have been terrorists taking credit for it.


A terror attack is pretty useless if everyone thinks it was just an accident. I don't recall anyone taking responsibility for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting story.

Yeah I definitely do not think this was a terrorist attack. Terrorist want you to know that they did it. If it was a terrorist attack, there would have been terrorists taking credit for it.

I was told a long itme ago that they were never able to reover the center tank fuel pump which would have gone a long ways to assigning blame, ie if it was and accident or not. I remember the insurance companies were not able to determine the actual cause so not sure there was a settlement but I know someone that saw a photgraph of the the center tank fuel pump from flt 800.

I am not one of those guys that believes in conspiracies but this one stunk and still does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back in '96 I flew back from Rome Italy to Atlanta on a TWA 747-100 (same model as this one) 9 days before this incident. I remember, at first, being excited because this was the first time I had ever flown on a 747 but that excitement was killed the moment I saw the condition of the actual plane itself. As I was in the tunnel waiting to board I noticed all these little cracks on the wings which was just chipped paint I'm sure but either way it was unsettling. The plane was old as dirt as well....first flight had to have been in the 70's from what I could tell. For all I know I could have been on the plane that eventually went down. unsure.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...