Pft: Matt Ryan Contract Talks Are Expected To Accelerate After July 4Th

g-dawg

Matt Ryan contract talks are expected to pick up after July 4

Posted by Mike Florio on June 18, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT

ryan.jpg?w=375 AP

The Falcons surely hope to avoid being called “dumb” by Matt Ryan’s agents next year. Of course, if being dumb means winning the Super Bowl, the Falcons would gladly wear the dunce cap.

For now, the posture between Ryan and the team that made him the third overall pick in the 2008 draft is identical to last year’s contract standoff between the Ravens and Joe Flacco. Ryan has a year left on his deal, both sides want to extend the contract, but an agreement has not been reached.

For now, Ryan bears the risk of injury and ineffectiveness. If Ryan makes it through 2013 unscathed, the Falcons will have to choose between giving him market value, using the non-exclusive franchise tag (which exposes him to being pilfered by another team in exchange for two first-round picks), or the exclusive version of the tag (which could cost nearly $20 million for 2014 and unlock a year-to-year formula that would put the Falcons well north of $70 million for three years).

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, casual talks currently are occurring, with an expectation that things will heat up after the July 4 holiday.

Ryan has a $12 million cap number for 2013. A long-term deal often drops a player’s cap number, but if Ryan is going to be paid at or near the top of the market (i.e., somewhere between $16 million and $20 million per year), it’s unlikely that the cap number will be any lower than $12 million in 2013. Which means that a long-term deal for Ryan likely won’t create additional cap space for a potential contract with Richard Seymour.

The real question is whether Ryan (a CAA client) wants to be paid like Drew Brees (a CAA client) or Tony Romo (a CAA client) or somewhere in between. Brees is getting $20 million per year. Romo’s deal, as a practical matter, is worth $16.375 million over four years or $15.9 million over five.

Looming in the background is Matthew Stafford (another CAA client), whose cap number already is above $20 million.

As more and more franchise quarterbacks become the highest-paid player on their respective franchises, the questions constantly will be: (1) how much is enough?; and (2) how much needs to be left behind to have a competitive team?

That’s why Ryan needs to ask himself, along with whether he’s willing to roll the dice and walk away from whatever the Falcons put on the table now, in the hopes of getting them over a barrel later.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

doesn't sound friendly . Maybe his agent is asking for too much ?

No, you're just an idiot.

Everything is fine. Go ahead and start working on your new narratives for next month:

A.Matt Ryan took too little money, therefore he isn't competitive, he'll never win us a Super Bowl

B. Matt Ryan is selfish and overpaid, we don't have enough room to sign players, we'll never win a Super Bowl

the more i think about it, i really don't see tremendous benefit to Falcons by doing the deal now versus next year - like PFT says - the cap hit would likely be same either way. Matt would likely have more leverage in offseason than now but he also bares the risk of injury and/or a lackluster season.

if CAA does not offer Falcons something reasonable - just play it out - Falcons have the franchise tag if they absolutely had to use it.

the more i think about it, i really don't see tremendous benefit to Falcons by doing the deal now versus next year - like PFT says - the cap hit would likely be same either way. Matt would likely have more leverage in offseason than now but he also bares the risk of injury and/or a lackluster season.

if CAA does not offer Falcons something reasonable - just play it out - Falcons have the franchise tag if they absolutely had to use it.

Also, the difference between numbers is likely nowhere near the difference in the Ravens and Flacco offers/counters, so that kind of risk simply does not exist.

Also, the difference between numbers is likely nowhere near the difference in the Ravens and Flacco offers/counters, so that kind of risk simply does not exist.

I actually agree with this. With Flacco it was the difference between ~$17M/year and $20M/year. With Ryan, it's the difference between $20M/year and $21.5M/year. With that logic the FO might just let him play it out.

But Matt is gonna be a Falcon. He knows it, we know it, the FO knows it. So why create acrimony with your franchise QB by delaying the inevitable?

Lawl....

Ryan has a $12 million cap number for 2013. A long-term deal often drops a player’s cap number, but if Ryan is going to be paid at or near the top of the market (i.e., somewhere between $16 million and $20 million per year), it’s unlikely that the cap number will be any lower than $12 million in 2013. Which means that a long-term deal for Ryan likely won’t create additional cap space for a potential contract with Richard Seymour.

I love to say I told you his contract was only a luxury.

Deal clearly gets done before the start of the season. *86 keeps fail trollin.

Also of note, Florio is probably a bit off base here. The Ravens were able to structure Flacco's deal in a way that makes his immediate cap hit ~7 million. So to say that Matt's won't can't be below 12 is pretty clearly off base. Now, maybe it WONT be below 12, but given our flexibility next year and moving forward, there's clearly a lot of room to be creative. Which is probably why TD has said that there's a lot of room to be creative. And probably why the deal hasn't been completed yet.

I actually agree with this. With Flacco it was the difference between ~$17M/year and $20M/year. With Ryan, it's the difference between $20M/year and $21.5M/year. With that logic the FO might just let him play it out.

But Matt is gonna be a Falcon. He knows it, we know it, the FO knows it. So why create acrimony with your franchise QB by delaying the inevitable?

I doubt they let him play it out. There's no benefit.

Situations if you let him play it out:

1) Atlanta wins a Super Bowl. Ryan clearly can command the biggest QB contract ever.

2) Ryan gets hurt. Now the Falcons are stuck with a choice of losing their franchise QB or signing him for the same value they'd get him now for.

3) Ryan tanks. Same analysis as number 2 with maybe a bit taken off so the number is closer to Romo (though it still wouldtn drop below 18 imo)

4) Ryan puts up a Ryan season and his value increases due to the passage of time.

Best case scenario if you let him play it out is that his value stays the same.....but more likely than not, it increases. The lack of a difference between the reasonable top and bottom end is exactly why you would sign him now. You're risking a fair amount for minimal hypothetical gain.

exactly Falcons are in no rush . The Falcons will offer hima contract that is fair but not overboard . Can't expect Falcons to pay him 20 mil when he only has 1 playoff win in 5 years

If he doesn't like he Ryan should go out and prove it and help Falcons to a Super Bowl to earn a bigger contract

You been educated

LOL laugh.png

No , if Ryan gets hurt we just franchise him next year . Ryan getting hurt doesn't hurt Falcons future plans .God for big a injury you don't wish it when you give a player 100 million .

God for big a injury? What does that mean? I guess you're wishing injury on Matt Ryan in a moronic Freudian slip.

Trufant is a rookie that graduated college . It hasn't been 5 months you ******* idiot

If Trufant is missing camp cause he has not signed a contract this board would be in panic mode

But there's a wage scale! The terms should be already there. Why is he not signed yet? Obviously it's contentious. /swift logic

Flacco's last offer prior to the 2012 season was $14M, so it's a much bigger difference.

Matt Ryan is a team guy. I'm sure he understands this process as well as anyone. I don't think there will be any acrimony.

Flacco's last offer prior to the 2012 season was $14M, so it's a much bigger difference.

Matt Ryan is a team guy. I'm sure he understands this process as well as anyone. I don't think there will be any acrimony.

The Ravens offered Flacco ~$16M, not $14M. But that's still a far bigger difference. I can't see any reason for Matt's negotiations to extend beyond August. Edited by icymatty