Station Fires Radio Hosts Who Mocked Steve Gleason

Dusty

• By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The League Editor
  • Published: June 17, 2013 at 06:14 p.m.
  • Updated: June 17, 2013 at 07:14 p.m.

We found out earlier Monday that Atlanta radio hosts on 790 AM were suspended for mocking formerNew Orleans Saints player Steve Gleason, who suffers from ALS. The inevitable happened a few hours later: They were fired.

It was an unavoidable decision after the audio tape of the segment was released Monday afternoon, via WMTI-FM in New Orleans. The tape somehow was worse than we even imagined.

In the "Mayhem in the AM" segment, "Gleason" called in to the show on a supposed media tour. In a short, senseless, deeply unfunny few minutes, someone pretended to be Gleason talking through a computer, telling knock-knock jokes.

Some of the supposed jokes:

1. "I wish I could play"

2. "I blame Gregg Williams"

3. "Smother me. Do me a favor."

4. "I'm going to ****."

The three fired hosts were Nick Cellini, Steak Shapiro and Chris Dimino. At least one of the hosts seemingly started to realize it was a bad idea halfway through, but no one stopped it. Sometimes in life you have a few seconds to make the right move, and everyone involved here -- from the hosts to the producer -- fell short in a very public way. Those few minutes changed the lives of everyone involved.

Gleason did not responded Monday with a public statement . But Clare Durrett, the executive director of Team Gleason, did speak with the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

"At this time, we don't feel the need to issue a statement as it just takes time away from the important things Steve and Team Gleason are doing," Durrett said. "Currently, Steve is enjoying a much needed vacation in the Northwest and spending time with friends and family. He is having an extraordinary day so far, having been the guest writer for Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback and is now interviewing Pearl Jam.

"Following up the rest of the day, Steve will be with Michel and son Rivers enjoying the lakes and mountains that surround them, which is far more important than addressing a talk show that has no relevance to his efforts."

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But, I like to eat nutria. LOL. The only thing I like about NO is their food. Call me sucker for Cajun food.

Food is great , I even love the city as much as I make fun of it. I lived there for a year in my early 20s. I had to leave because it was just one big party for me. Got out while I could. Niceties aside it does smell horribly though. lol

I have actually thought about Steve Gleason zero (0) times in my life. Never gave a crap about him before now, so I won't pretend to sing in a boy's choir in his honor now. Dude was the butt of a joke. He wasn't the first and he won't be the last.

I have actually thought about Steve Gleason zero (0) times in my life. Never gave a crap about him before now, so I won't pretend to sing in a boy's choir in his honor now. Dude was the butt of a joke. He wasn't the first and he won't be the last.

Well I am sure you thought about him when they were building the statue and wanted to use a Falcon's likeness. It was a big deal in Atlanta and on the boards. That is the only time I ever thought about him though.

Food is great , I even love the city as much as I make fun of it. I lived there for a year in my early 20s. I had to leave because it was just one big party for me. Got out while I could. Niceties aside it does smell horribly though. lol

I could never take the smell, agreed, I never lived there but its always been good for a party or two in my twenties. I hate the Aints and pretty much anything to do with NO.

Well I am sure you thought about him when they were building the statue and wanted to use a Falcon's likeness. It was a big deal in Atlanta and on the boards. That is the only time I ever thought about him though.

I didn't like that whole statue thing and they wanting to use the falcons logo on the statue.

Dammit! That is that guy huh? You're right! 2wice counting today. Now he's in my head dude. Thanksdry.png

The whole "knock-knock" part wasn't funny at all .. I do realize, that people make fun of serious issues all the time - and they should. Laughter is a powerful survival mechanism and can be a great way to talk about serious things, that people normally don't want to talk about, but this isn't even funny ..It's just ******** and they should get fired for doing something like that!

The whole "knock-knock" part wasn't funny at all .. I do realize, that people make fun of serious issues all the time - and they should. Laughter is a powerful survival mechanism and can be a great way to talk about serious things, that people normally don't want to talk about, but this isn't even funny ..It's just ******** and they should get fired for doing something like that!

Nah! People do SOOOooo much worse on the radio than that. This is what gets me, people with disabilities and their advocates are always pushing the rest of us to treat them like normal people. Well, I do. If I can get joked on, so can you! See? Simple!