What Happened On 790 This Morning?

Rev_Hal

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a player, Steve Gleason is best remembered for blocking a punt in the Saints’ return to New Orleans a year after Hurricane Katrina, a blocked punt that spurred his team to a victory over the Falcons. He’ll always be beloved in New Orleans for that.

But for courageously continuing to live his life while ALS ravaged his body, Gleason has become universally respected by everyone who knows his story. That universal respect apparently stops at Atlanta sports radio station 790 The Zone, however, where Gleason was the subject of a Monday morning segment that made fun of his disability.

ALS has robbed Gleason of the ability to do most of the simple everyday things that most of us take for granted, like speaking and using his hands. As a result, the only way Gleason is able to communicate is to use computer software that allows him to type with his eyes, and provides him with a voice to speak. The guys at 790 The Zone apparently thought it would be funny to engage in a mock interview in which they poked fun at Gleason and used a robotic voice to portray things Gleason might say.

Understandably, many listeners were angered. When contacted by PFT, 790 The Zone confirmed that it has received strong negative feedback after airing the bit. And Nick Cellini of the “Mayhem in the A.M.” show that ran the Gleason-bashing segment acknowledged on Twitter that he had made a serious error in judgment.

“My apologies to everyone. It was a stupid attempt at humor that backfired. Emphasis on stupid,” Cellini wrote.

It’s hard to imagine how anyone ever thought making fun of Steve Gleason was a good idea. There’s no word yet on whether the folks who were involved in this will remain on the air at 790 The Zone.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/17/atlanta-radio-station-apologizes-for-making-fun-of-steve-gleason/

Stupid is not a strong enough word for that. Stupid would be airing a bit that wasn't thought through. They thought through this and planned us such by lining up a robotic voice converter.

Classless. Insensitive. Morally incompetent. Ignorant. Those are better words for this.

Cellini is an idiot, and he got suspended. Rightfully so.

The same Ain't fan idiots who are apologists for a bounty program, you know the "kill the head, and the body will die" one, that may have have caused or exacerbated degenerative brain disorders in their opponents will now cry that Atlanta fans are classless and mean.

I feel sorry for Gleason, and what he's going through, but he's a hypocrite. Paying to knock players out of a game is okay, but he doesn't want his kid playing it.

A commenter on PFT pointed out that he should've made fun of Stephen Hawking and no one would've said a word.

Morning crew on 790 is very new york type show. Its in poor taste, but not very uncommon in markets like New York, boston or Philladelphia. I usually listen to Dave Archer in the afternoon.

The funny thing is Steak used to own the station but now it's owned by Lincoln Financial so the rules about things like this are much different now... even for him.

The funny thing is Steak used to own the station but now it's owned by Lincoln Financial so the rules about things like this are much different now... even for him.

Steak had to sell off 790, because he couldn't make money. The show in the morning became more cheesy after Lincoln Financial took over. But, they don't want negative publicity either, so they suspended them for doing this stupid show. I wouldn't be surprised if it is all staged as a publictiy stunt to get attention in the national media.

Steak had to sell off 790, because he couldn't make money. The show in the morning became more cheesy after Lincoln Financial took over. But, they don't want negative publicity either, so they suspended them for doing this stupid show. I wouldn't be surprised if it is all staged as a publictiy stunt to get attention in the national media.

They all got suspended. Not sure if that's the case.

Wow. That is tasteless. Like most, I hate the Saints as much as the next guy, and don't like the fact that the Gleason play happened against us and is immortalized outside of their stadium, but that is too far.

But like paulitik pointed out, if it was S. Hawking no one would have batted an eye, and they do it on Big Bang Theory.

wat ? cause I said stay classy ATL ..haaa yeah that matters. I said the same thing when our fans threw a bottle at Chris Chandler wife head ...STAY CLASSY is expression

How is something Nick Cellini, a Cleveland native, did all on Atlanta? It was Atlanta residents that called and complained, Falcon fans were attacking him for the comments.

Swift Logic: Falcons don't win championship, it's all Matt Ryan's fault. One guy does something offensive, it's the city of Atlanta's fault.

Suspended is more like a slap on the wrist, get some publicity and get back on the show. I know it sounds like a conspiracy theory, but not far fetched. You never know though, they might have just been jerks.

It's indefinitely. That might mean fired. Depends on how fast this rolls over. If it makes ESPN or NFLN, Celliini is toast at the least.

Suspended is more like a slap on the wrist, get some publicity and get back on the show. I know it sounds like a conspiracy theory, but not far fetched. You never know though, they might have just been jerks.

I don't know. They're getting some seriously bad publicity for this.

They're the 'official' station for the Falcons as well as being an ESPN affiliate. This isn't good for them.

I don't know. They're getting some seriously bad publicity for this.

They're the 'official' station for the Falcons as well as being an ESPN affiliate. This isn't good for them.

Yeah they screwed up, but looks like the producer of the show and others knew what they were doing. Sounds like it was planned stuff with robotic voices and all that crap. It was in bad taste and classless.