So Apparently 790 Am Atlanta Made Fun Of Steve Gleason

Kevo

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty stupid attempt at being edgy. i don't listen to atl sports radio. nashville is much better and there isn't a team here I'm interested in. 790 and 680 are horrible.

but let me say this. im so ******* sick of these idiot saint fans wishing injury on players and insulting fans because of something one person says. not just saint fans, but fans in general. its just as ignorant

pretty stupid attempt at being edgy. i don't listen to atl sports radio. nashville is much better and there isn't a team here I'm interested in. 790 and 680 are horrible.

but let me say this. im so ******* sick of these idiot saint fans wishing injury on players and insulting fans because of something one person says. not just saint fans, but fans in general. its just as ignorant

I agree. Wishing injury upon anybody is classless.

I dont listen to 790 anymore... signal is just too weak outside of perimeter.

But the morning show is anchored by a guy from Boston who went to school at Tulane and pumps up New Orleans culture more than anyone else in the city of Atlanta.

The other guys are transplants from New Jersey and Cleveland, so maybe all the fans over at SR need to "lighten up, Francis" on the Atlanta Falcon "fanbase".

Gleason may be some sort of hero culture and source of inspiration in New Orleans, but that show constantly does routine with former HOF players who are dead and alive, and its tasteless usually, but its part of their schtick.

Best strategy... turn the dial... I did.

Its America guys, freedom of the press is kinda fundamental.

Edited by NFCS Newbie

I dont listen to 790 anymore... signal is just too weak outside of perimeter.

But the morning show is anchored by a guy from Boston who went to school at Tulane and pumps up New Orleans culture more than anyone else in the city of Atlanta.

The other guys are transplants from New Jersey and Cleveland, so maybe all the fans over at SR need to "lighten up, Francis" on the Atlanta Falcon "fanbase".

Gleason may be some sort of hero culture and source of inspiration in New Orleans, but that show constantly does routine with former HOF players who are dead and alive, and its tasteless usually, but its part of their schtick.

Best strategy... turn the dial... I did.

Its America guys, freedom of the press is kinda fundamental.

A classless attempt at humor should not be exempt from criticism.

taking out the Saint part would of fit so much better lol

I DON'T LISTEN TO MUCH RADIO. BUT I DO KNOW THE REGULAR CALL IN FALCON FANS ARE SOME WHAT DIFFERENT THAN THE ONES YOU FIND HERE. AND HERE I DON'T MEAN TATF. THE ISSUE AT HAND SOUNDS SOME WHAT TOUCHY. I DON'T KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT IT. BUT I DO KNOW ... IF A GUY'S BATTLING FOR HIS LIFE ... IT AIN'T FUNNY!

Controversy = viewers or ratings or listeners in this case

Howard stern comes to mind. Guy got rich of being a analwort.

Family guy did it with the aids song, cancer gets joked more than most probably think.

The grey line seems to be drawn between those who constantly tell jokes vs those that sometimes tell jokes or people who just arent funny.

Comedians often rush to make jokes at some tragedy or death for the shock response. To most its classless and stupid or uncalled for. But there will always be those that do it.

Now i dont listen to radio anymore.. But i do find the comments over at the saints report pretty funny.

"tweet this to brees until my baby is born". <----wtf is that? :)

One guy had it right in posting the contact info of the advertising partners. They have pull. Make them mad and the station will issue a apology fast.

Atlanta radio station apologizes for making fun of Steve Gleason

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 17, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT

As a player, Steve Gleason is best remembered for blocking a punt in the Saints’ return to New Orleans a year after Hurricane Katrina, a blocked punt that spurred his team to a victory over the Falcons. He’ll always be beloved in New Orleans for that.

But for courageously continuing to live his life while ALS ravaged his body, Gleason has become universally respected by everyone who knows his story. That universal respect apparently stops at Atlanta sports radio station 790 The Zone, however, where Gleason was the subject of a Monday morning segment that made fun of his disability.

ALS has robbed Gleason of the ability to do most of the simple everyday things that most of us take for granted, like speaking and using his hands. As a result, the only way Gleason is able to communicate is to use computer software that allows him to type with his eyes, and provides him with a voice to speak. The guys at 790 The Zone apparently thought it would be funny to engage in a mock interview in which they poked fun at Gleason and used a robotic voice to portray things Gleason might say.

Understandably, many listeners were angered. When contacted by PFT, 790 The Zone confirmed that it has received strong negative feedback after airing the bit. And Nick Cellini of the “Mayhem in the A.M.” show that ran the Gleason-bashing segment acknowledged on Twitter that he had made a serious error in judgment.

“My apologies to everyone. It was a stupid attempt at humor that backfired. Emphasis on stupid,” Cellini wrote.

It’s hard to imagine how anyone ever thought making fun of Steve Gleason was a good idea. There’s no word yet on whether the folks who were involved in this will remain on the air at 790 The Zone.

I dont think they should lose their jobs over this though. It was a bad joke and stupid idea. But if we start firing everyone on that grounds. Might as well only have weather broadcasts 24/7.

Just heard an announcement on 790.

They apologized for the comments, said they didn't reflect the management, owners or sponsors of the station and that they had suspended everybody involved pending further review.

Never heard them do that before- the morning crew F'ed up.

Doubt they lose their jobs, but they've been put on notice.

Falcons fans, do not control what the radio talks about.

So why all the hatred for fans, and wishing injury on the Falcons team is classless and inappropriate.

That being said, what they said on the radio, is beyond belief.

They should be reprimanded and fired. I think.

I never wish injury, even for the 'Aints.

So this "I hope the Falcons get injured" sh!t is ridiculous.

The team nor the fans had any say so in the matter.

There have even been Falcons fans that called in, and let them no that was totally wrong..

I was one of them. No matter the team or rivalry, that not right!

I saw some early in the thread.

The only comment that remotely came close to that was talking about karma.....you know the same dumb $hit that alot of Falcons fan say about the Saints. C mon D I read thru that whole thread and most there agreed this had nothing to do with the Falcons, the fans, or the City of Atlanta.

The only comment that remotely came close to that was talking about karma.....you know the same dumb $hit that alot of Falcons fan say about the Saints. C mon D I read thru that whole thread and most there agreed this had nothing to do with the Falcons, the fans, or the City of Atlanta.

Can they edit posts over there? Maybe they edited out. I know i saw someone clearly talk about wishing injuries. Something to the effect of "normally i would never. but in this case".

I know my memory sucks, but not that bad. It was near the very start of the thread. I clicked the link and read from there. But i didn't go through the entire thread.

Maybe a mod removed it. I dont know. But im positive i saw it. Well atleast 95% sure.

Can they edit posts over there? Maybe they edited out. I know i saw someone clearly talk about wishing injuries. Something to the effect of "normally i would never. but in this case".

I know my memory sucks, but not that bad. It was near the very start of the thread. I clicked the link and read from there. But i didn't go through the entire thread.

Maybe a mod removed it. I dont know. But im positive i saw it. Well atleast 95% sure.

Probably thinking of this one:

It just shows the character of that ****** place. I'm never one to hope for injuries, but I'm just saying, ya know what goes around......

Probably thinking of this one:

It just shows the character of that ****** place. I'm never one to hope for injuries, but I'm just saying, ya know what goes around......

That's the one I was referring to. A. that's one poster out of a 9 to 10 page thread B. his last statement in that post indicates he was referencing karma (still stupid I would agree), the overall tone of the thread was specifically targeting the radio station and the DJs

That's the one I was referring to. A. that's one poster out of a 9 to 10 page thread B. his last statement in that post indicates he was referencing karma (still stupid I would agree), the overall tone of the thread was specifically targeting the radio station and the DJs

Is that guy out of line? Maybe he thought he was being funny? Maybe he was serious.

My point was. Like the DJ`s. They screwed up and said something wrong.

But lets look at this as real people. The dj`s get payed to talk. Get listeners etc etc. Thats how they feed their family. They made a stupid joke the radio station has said sorry. Now those guys are sitting at home on indefinite suspension. They dont know where there next paycheck might come from or if the next is their last.

Does that make people over at the saints report happy. I saw some say they should contribute money to Steve Gleason charity. Those guys might have just lost their job over a skit.

In the real world they said words that was ment to be a joke and it wasnt funny. SNL does that every week. Stern makes millions doing that. These 2 guys might be unemployed.

the radio station didnt know they where gonna say that, the Spencer didnt know. But they said sorry and said it was a bad joke. What more should they have to do to make up for trying to tell a joke?

Lets cross the line... how many mike Vick jokes where made when he went to prison. Yes Vick wasnt dying but the fact is people made fun of another persons misfortunes.

being a cancer survivor i have a different take on this. I faced death. yet i see countless shows and movies take jabs at cancer or other diseases just for a fast laugh. No one thinks twice about it.

these guys screwed up, but now their family's have to pay for it. I dont think thats right. They said sorry. Lets move on with the world.

Im not against mob mentality to gain a goal. If the fight is justified. But when the fight is won. Move on.

I might sound like a insensitive jerk here defending these guy in keeping their jobs. But Going through Cancer will teach you a few things. 1 People are people. Had this joke been about john doe, SR wouldnt care at all. It would be written off as a bad joke. It would never have even had a topic.

But because some football player blocked a kick, he gets internet outrage when its him. No diseases dont care. No 1 is immune to them or safe from them. But only the celebrity ones get the benefit of fans to cry out if someone jokes them.

So much people lose their way of supporting their family. Thats not right. It wasnt a racial slur (i think that would have been worse than a disease joke). Because racial slurs effect everyone even people you never heard of. But in this case a former player gets all this attention because he is a former saints player.

The joke was classless and in poor taste no doubt. But they said sorry. That should be enough. It sucks their family has to pay the price because they chose a saints player to pick on.