Xbox One Games Shown At E3 Apparently Ran On High End Pc

Posted this in the E3 thread but figured this may deserve it's own thread.

Developers putting Microsoft (and Xbox One defenders) on blast.

Apparently all the PS4 games were shown using PS4 dev kits and Microsoft had Xbox One games running on a high end PC with an nVidia 700 series GTX card. Xbox One, like PS4, does not use an nVidia graphics processor but rather AMD for both CPU and GPU.

Keep telling you guys they weren't ready to launch this year. Rumors heating up that MS is having manufacturing issues too. I really hope they don't have problems with it but its not looking good.

PS4 Games Demoed on PS4 Dev Kits Says Blow, Xbox One Games Spotted Running on PCs With Nvidia Cards

June 14, 2013 Written by Sebastian Moss

It just keeps getting worse for Microsoft: After facing a consumer backlash over DRM, a bizarrely high price and no love on Amazon, a new scandal has emerged.

Earlier today, CinemaBlend commented on the fact that a broken Xbox One game returned to the Windows 7 home screen, and that, in a pic we could see that it was running on a Nvidia 700 series GTX GPU (the Xbox One uses AMD). The Battlefield 4 demo ‘running on Xbox One’ was also spotted to include the PC command ‘backspace’. While it sounded terrible – these are meant to be console games, CinemaBlend tried to put things into perspective:

Truth be told, none of this should be a surprise to most people given that all E3 demos run their games on high-end PCs; it’s a smoke and mirrors circus to sell the idea of the game, sort of like how pro wrestling sells the idea of fighting despite being scripted. We should all be used to it by now and it’s just common practice [from most studios] given that the devkits or comparable specs aren’t usually finalized at this point.

Turns out, however, that they are wrong. Developer of upcoming PS4/PC/iOS title The Witness Jonathan Blow tweeted (tweets ordered for clarity):

It is not true as the article says that “all E3 demos run on hi-end PCs”. The Witness was running on PS4 dev hardware, and it looked to me like all the other PS4 games were running on dev kits as well.

Dev hardware is the hardware that will be in the final retail box, but in a less consumer-oriented package.

Dev kits almost always have more RAM yeah. Better CPU+GPU, no…

All the indies I know were running on the PS4.

We worked very hard to get our game running on the actual PS4 hardware and operating system in time for the show. As did many other devs.

Sucker Punch’s Jason Connell added:

Yup, we were definitely on a dev kit. [For inFamous: Second Son]

Blow commented:

That is kind of crazy considering consoles are supposed to be on the shelves with these games in 5-6 months.

During Microsoft’s press show I was impressed by how good the games looked given the console’s specs. But if they weren’t running on those specs then it becomes pretty questionable.

I actually don’t want XB1 to fail because we need competition to keep things healthy.

And finally:

I’m seeing a lot of forum comments saying “it is no big deal, most E3 demos are on PCs”. False. I wonder if this is “reputation management”.

This whole thing sounds utterly bizarre: has Microsoft been essentially lying to journalists and viewers with games running on completely different hardware? Aliens: Colonial Marines drew intense criticism after it was revealed that journalists played a better version of the game than was actually released, and it’s hard not to feel deja vu.

Could Sony capitalize off of the fact that the PS4 seems far more along? Is Microsoft hiding yet another thing? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/06/14/ps4-games-demoed-on-ps4-dev-kits-says-blow-xbox-one-games-spotted-running-on-pcs-with-nvidia-cards-bodes-ill-for-launch/

Don't feel bad because just like with both consoles brand new don't know what to expect hey this time Sony might catch the RROD problem(I know it wouldn't be called that).

We still have so many months before Xbox One or PS4 is out honestly Microsoft could overhaul the system right now, and make something comparable to a high end PC at that point Sony could possibly have a problem.

So in less than 6 months Microsoft could scrap a design they've been working years on, most likely, and put out a product that would have Sony running scared? That's highly unlikely.

It's called Delay lol. Although I use the word overhaul I don't mean that literally typing to fast didn't catch that, but who knows what they'll do when does this system even come out?

Make something comparable to a high end PC? Really?

No, just stop.

I'm only saying that cause I know Microsoft has resources to do it. Will they probably not(In fact they won't), but most of the time when a new console comes out it's only a little ways behind the PC market not very far like it seems you're making.

Edited by Zone#7

Let's be real here, MS is not scrapping anything. They were going to do Xbox One in 2014 and that's why the reports started coming out back in February as soon as it happened that Sony's PS4 reveal caught them off guard... something I thought was ridiculous myself, but apparently it's true. Even if they were to delay XB1 and redo some of the hardware, it would be cost prohibitive to the end user. Last time we had new consoles coming out, there was a console out for $400 and one that got delayed because it wasn't ready and cost $600.... I mean, yeah.... how did that work out?

MS pushed it because they weren't going to let Sony have a launch to itself.

For the multiplatform games I can kinda understand why they use a high end PC... it will be available on PC and they want to present the best looking product. But when something is said to be running on Xbox One hardware and it's not running on Xbox One hardware or anything comparable PC-wise, there's a problem there.

Even if they delayed it and upgraded some of the hardware components to give PS4 a run, it wouldn't matter. People are leaving Xbox One behind right now because of the restrictions and policies (and price).

Let's be real here, MS is not scrapping anything. They were going to do Xbox One in 2014 and that's why the reports started coming out back in February as soon as it happened that Sony's PS4 reveal caught them off guard... something I thought was ridiculous myself, but apparently it's true. Even if they were to delay XB1 and redo some of the hardware, it would be cost prohibitive to the end user. Last time we had new consoles coming out, there was a console out for $400 and one that got delayed because it wasn't ready and cost $600.... I mean, yeah.... how did that work out?

MS pushed it because they weren't going to let Sony have a launch to itself.

For the multiplatform games I can kinda understand why they use a high end PC... it will be available on PC and they want to present the best looking product. But when something is said to be running on Xbox One hardware and it's not running on Xbox One hardware or anything comparable PC-wise, there's a problem there.

Even if they delayed it and upgraded some of the hardware components to give PS4 a run, it wouldn't matter. People are leaving Xbox One behind right now because of the restrictions and policies (and price).

We're only talking about pre-orders here though too a lot of the hardcore guys we know to go with PS4(some of us eventually), but to the casual market it just depends these restrictions won't affect them so much. I just had a conversation with my sister about it, and she owns the Wii basically she said what I knew that even with that whole check in everyday 24 hour whatever you wanna call it lol. That if Xbox One provides better things suited towards her she'll get it. Plus she's the type that will play the Wii on a Tuesday won't play again till Friday.

They already loved Kinect even though I hated it with a passion.

Honestly as far as the high-end PC argument thing personally think that may be apart of MS plan in the beginning push people towards PC gaming because they've cornered that market. That's just me being a bit of a conspiracy theorist though.

If the story got exaggerated then that's the journalists fault. How do you explain backspace on Battlefield 4 "on Xbox One" then?

Microsoft has brought all the negativity on themselves. I find the "everyone is just looking to hate on MS" sentiment ridiculous. PS3 gamers have had to deal with that bs for years, so I don't feel bad for them at all. MS deserves as much criticism as they get for the garbage they've done with this console.

Battlefield 4 is a multiplat (that I don't keep up with so I don't even know if what you're saying is true), so of course they would show it on PC (where it would be the best looking). Same with Watch Dogs.

As for the second part, IDC about PS3. All I'm saying is that Microsoft is not trying to kill your puppy like articles would have you believe.

Battlefield 4 is a multiplat (that I don't keep up with so I don't even know if what you're saying is true), so of course they would show it on PC (where it would be the best looking). Same with Watch Dogs.

As for the second part, IDC about PS3. All I'm saying is that Microsoft is not trying to kill your puppy like articles would have you believe.

You can also see in the knife counter where "E" comes up. Say what you want about it being multiplatform, this was an Xbox One demo not just Battlefield 4 being shown off.

How do you explain the games running on PC hardware that's a lot better than what's in XB1?

I'm not asking you to care about PS3. I'm saying PS3 gamers have had to deal with a bunch of hating *** Xbox 360 gamers for years who for no clear reason hated Sony so much. Now they are buying PS4's and hating on Xbox One so #dealwithit.

MS deserves every bit of criticism XB1 gets. I don't care if people want it or buy it, it's your money do what you want with it. But taking it to that next step where people try arguing in defense for what these idiots are doing is just special. And don't kid yourself, there are still bloggers trying to pick apart anything they can about PS4 because MS deserves their undying loyalty.

You can also see in the knife counter where "E" comes up. Say what you want about it being multiplatform, this was an Xbox One demo not just Battlefield 4 being shown off.

How do you explain the games running on PC hardware that's a lot better than what's in XB1?

I'm not asking you to care about PS3. I'm saying PS3 gamers have had to deal with a bunch of hating *** Xbox 360 gamers for years who for no clear reason hated Sony so much. Now they are buying PS4's and hating on Xbox One so #dealwithit.

MS deserves every bit of criticism XB1 gets. I don't care if people want it or buy it, it's your money do what you want with it. But taking it to that next step where people try arguing in defense for what these idiots are doing is just special. And don't kid yourself, there are still bloggers trying to pick apart anything they can about PS4 because MS deserves their undying loyalty.

1. Once again, multiplatform. Being shown off because "omg graphics" are what makes a lot of people buy Battlefield 4 in the first place.

2. The only game showing XB1 on PC from my understanding is Lococycle. I do not know why they would show it on higher specs, but oh well.

3. I was not into the internet portion of gaming during the release of PS3/XB360. But I do know that Sony had delays on the PS3. The PS3 was $200 more than the XB360. Sony handled the hacking situation horribly. XB360 got a lot of hate too just because of paying to play online. But apparently now that Sony makes you pay for playing online, it's ok.

4. I'm not arguing in defense of the XB1 policies (not saying that you're accusing me but just to clear that up). I actually think that it sucks that if I wanted to take my Xbox on vacation, I might be at a disadvantage, if I wanted to trade my $60 dollar game into gamestop for $4 I couldn't (still confused on this, but I admit Microsoft's PR has been terrible with this), if I wanted to lend my friend a game I couldn't (though this is alleviated by the "family" share plan). But what the XB1 DOES do fits my life a lot better than the PS4.

I think it "only being Lococycle" is more reputation management. We've seen one cabinet with an Xbox One on display where the display cable was just dangling and the monitor was actually hooked up to a PC hidden below and Windows crash screens and "Battlefield 4 on Xbox One" showing PC input commands. That pretty much blows any credibility, especially when you consider the talk about the functionality in the May reveal being fake because they didn't even have a finalized OS at the time.

PS3 was a fustercluck in the first few years, no doubt. People have hated Sony for no other reason than they play on Xbox though. Fanboys go both ways but Xbox has had a lot more with the success they've enjoyed this generation. It is what it is. The shoe is just on the other foot this time.

I was wide open to what MS might show off as their next gen system. I like some of the games they showed (especially Titanfall), but it has been mostly smoke and mirrors trying to cover up horrible policies and rushed development from the minute their May reveal ended. Sony has given us what everyone expected the next Xbox to be and this is a comment I've seen many people make, even on the Xbox forums run by MS. If XB1 appeals to you then more power to you, but MS has brought all this hate on themselves. Many many folks with years invested in Xbox are jumping because the policies suck and MS are being tools about it telling their own customers if they don't like it they can buy a 360.