This Year: Cb Was Must-Draft Need. What Will Be Next Year's?

We went into the draft needing a starting CB since we had all these corners leave and we had no cap space to go after any vets. This stands to happen again next season, as Ryan gets a new contract, and we will have several needs that one draft simply will not be able to fix. Those needs stand to be: DT, LB, and TE. Then of course if Jackson Samuel or White show thier age, or a player we are depending on this year does not pan out...like Holmes or one of our rookies on D...we would need reinforcements there. But as it stands we already know DT TE LB WILL be needs next year. So, what position stands to need improving in the draft? NOTE: Our past history with FAs has been a very mixed bag. Can we improve there?

Edited by egoprime II

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its too soon to talk about draft needs. Last year in the off season,CB was supposed to be the strength of the team going in to the season with 3 starting caliber CB. Grimes got hurt, DR was released thus making it biggest need. Who knows, suddenly a position of strength might become a bigger need.

I think DT (our top 3 DT's will be FA) and OLB....I think Nich gets a bad wrap by falcon fans last year because of the playoffs but his cap hit next year is 4 mil (would save 2 mil) ... Finding a guy in the 3rd round or a guy on our roster is a possibility

Its too soon to talk about draft needs. Last year in the off season,CB was supposed to be the strength of the team going in to the season with 3 starting caliber CB. Grimes got hurt, DR was released thus making it biggest need. Who knows, suddenly a position of strength might become a bigger need.

Everything you say is spot on. However, we CAN look at Gonzo and say, he is going to probably be gone. We have three DTs and two vet O linemen in the last year of thier deals. Plus TD has already said, he wanted to draft an LB in this last draft...and did not. Plus we have several new players, some young some old. And everyone has an opinion on what to do about this that and the other thing. So I think this thread asks a valid question.

DT, TE, OLB and WR.

With three potential vacancies...though I do think Peters stays, leaving two...I think DT is at the top. But...TD is on record as saying Gonz has changed his thinking towards the TE position. So maybe TD drafts for what would be a dire need there. And if TD projects drafting TE in round one, then TD just might re-sign Jerry too, if Jerry comes cheap enough.

Well said.....

Right now it seems like DT, LB and DE is a priority for the draft but you never know. One of our young players or young vets might step up tremendously and those will no longer be a concern.

Everything you say is spot on. However, we CAN look at Gonzo and say, he is going to probably be gone. We have three DTs and two vet O linemen in the last year of thier deals. Plus TD has already said, he wanted to draft an LB in this last draft...and did not. Plus we have several new players, some young some old. And everyone has an opinion on what to do about this that and the other thing. So I think this thread asks a valid question.

Its a valid question, but no idea how things might shape up. There might be bunch of FA available at different positions or some one on the team steps up or falls off in performance during the season. It should probably be clear by start of the season or middle of the next season.

Well said.....

Right now it seems like DT, LB and DE is a priority for the draft but you never know. One of our young players or young vets might step up tremendously and those will no longer be a concern.

They spent too many picks on DE already, I don't know but the offense also might need some focus in the draft next year.

1. Defensive Tackle

2. Outside Linebacker

3. Offensive Guard

4. Wide Receiver

5. Running Back

I could see this happening for real, that is if our DE situation gets straightened out a bit. Even if DE does not improve all that much, TD may feel a DT would help out our DEs, so...

Too early, but if I HD to guess it'd be the following:

1) WR- Roddy's getting older, HD is ineffective and TG is retiring. Even if Toilio and/or Coffman turn out good they won't be TG good

2) DT-- time to invest on that side of line. Could double dip like the panties did

3) Running back--unless SJx still keeps on trucking

4) OLB- should have gotten one this year

5) CB--never have enough

6) OL depth

Its a valid question, but no idea how things might shape up. There might be bunch of FA available at different positions or some one on the team steps up or falls off in performance during the season. It should probably be clear by start of the season or middle of the next season.

Yeah, and in fact remember when Grimes went down, folks here speculated Grimes had played his last game as a Falcon because of his age...and DRob was gone after last season because of his cap figure for this season, so our CB situation last year is a good example of what you just posted. Strength going to a weakness very very quickly.

They spent too many picks on DE already, I don't know but the offense also might need some focus in the draft next year.

Agree.i think DT will need addressing, but we need a WR to upgrade HD, offset TGs lost production and eventually replace roddy

Too early, but if I HD to guess it'd be the following:

1) WR- Roddy's getting older, HD is ineffective and TG is retiring. Even if Toilio and/or Coffman turn out good they won't be TG good

2) DT-- time to invest on that side of line. Could double dip like the panties did

3) Running back--unless SJx still keeps on trucking

4) OLB- should have gotten one this year

5) CB--never have enough

6) OL depth

I am looking at your list here, and thinking: all this cannot be fixed in one draft, no way. Question is, will we have any cap money at all to sign FAs with? I sure hope Julio doesn't want a new contract anytime soon...Spoon probably will though.

Yeah, and in fact remember when Grimes went down, folks here speculated Grimes had played his last game as a Falcon because of his age...and DRob was gone after last season because of his cap figure for this season, so our CB situation last year is a good example of what you just posted. Strength going to a weakness very very quickly.

Yeah I agree and I thought LT would be on top of the list, who knew Baker would be the best player on the offensive line and Clabo would be let go. I could see Rt being a position of need if things don't go so well. It all depends on some of the young guys stepping up, not every one might step up but I expect few of those young guys to play well.

Yeah, drafting to fill empty roster spots certainly trumps improving over guys you have at DE. With Johnson and Hawley being FAs, and Manley showing up not in shape...we might be losing three of the O linemen on our roster going into this season. So that would be a definite need, especially if our right side doesn't come together.

Yeah I agree and I thought LT would be on top of the list, who knew Baker would be the best player on the offensive line and Clabo would be let go. I could see Rt being a position of need if things don't go so well. It all depends on some of the young guys stepping up, not every one might step up but I expect few of those young guys to play well.

And what about RG? Its been a revolving door since Dahl left, and here we are trying the same guys to see if one of them nails down the position. Funny thing is...I wanted Clabo moved over to RG because it seemed he was slowing down a bit. Why I don't know, he is only 31.