All Time Top 2 Best Defensive Ends In Falcons History.

falcons007

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who are the top 2 all time Defensive Ends in Falcons history?

• Claude Humphrey
    • Chuck Smith
    • John Abraham
    • Patrick Kerney
    • Other

I loved Kerney, but I had to go with Claude Humphrey (who belongs in the HoF) and Chuck Smith. No diss on Abe at all, but Humphrey and Smith were dominant. Abe had games when he was handled and other games where he couldn't be stopped. Plus, he had a snap count, which I kind of appreciated, but takes him out of the class of Humphrey, Smith, and Kerney, IMHO.

Got to give the nod to Abraham since he played in an era where blatant holding by Offensive Tackles is allowed. If holding was still called according to the rule book, Abe would probably have about 40-50 more sacks to his total or offenses would have racked up tons of penalty yardage because of him. His bust in Canton if he makes it should have an offensive tackles arm wrapped around his neck.

Got to give the nod to Abraham since he played in an era where blatant holding by Offensive Tackles is allowed. If holding was still called according to the rule book, Abe would probably have about 40-50 more sacks to his total or offenses would have racked up tons of penalty yardage because of him. His bust in Canton if he makes it should have an offensive tackles arm wrapped around his neck.

pretty sure choke holds are still penalized just not for john

Abe & Claude at #1 & #2 respectively for me.

Gotta go with Chuck at #3. He & Pat have very similar numbers as far as games played, sacks, tackles, etc., BUT Chuck made more big plays. He had twice as many forced fumbles at Pat, a few more recovered fumbles (including taking one to the house), and more interceptions (including one that he took to the house).

Humphrey no brainer as #1. Hard to pick between Abe and Kerney, Abe had alot more sacks, but Kerney never came off the field, he intimidated more than Abe, a complete DE, not a one trick pony. i will call that one a tie.

Got to give a shout out to my good friend Mike Gann, he was not great, but he was steady as a rock, played nine full seasons as a Bird, something to be said for that., and was a force against the run. Had to show him some love LOL, he a scary mofo ....