Grading Every Nfl Teams Offseason

Atlanta Falcons

hi-res-159793793_crop_650.jpg?1371149701

TE Tony Gonzalez

Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images

Best Free-Agency Signing: Steven Jackson (RB)

Best Draft Pick: Desmond Trufant (CB)

Most Underrated Addition: Levine Toilolo (TE)

Getting tight end Tony Gonzalez back for another season is probably the biggest move the Falcons could've made, and I love the pairing with Levine Toilolo, who has a giant 6'8" frame and can help the Falcons both with blocking and in the red zone.

The big acquisition, of course, is Stephen Jackson, who gives the Falcons a running component they haven't had in a very long time. It will be hard to stop this offense, because it can beat you in so many ways with so many talented skill-position players.

The one question is the secondary, even after bringing in Desmond Trufant and fellow cornerback Robert Alford in the draft. Those are two rookies (talented though they may be) at a position that sometimes demands two or three years of seasoning before really stepping into the spotlight.

Grade: A-

REST of the article

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1667775-way-too-early-predictions-for-the-2014-nfl-playoffs#/articles/1670353-grading-every-nfl-teams-offseason-so-far/page/3

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The addition of Steven Jackson has been oversold by everyone, but that's cool. I mean, the guy he is replacing scored 60 TDs in the last 5 years, which is really quite an incredible number. There are only 3 other backs in the NFL right now who have that many TDs in their CAREERS, and Jackson isn't one of them.

The funny thing is when it first came out that he would be available in the middle of last season, the collective opinion of the board was "so what, the guy is about done".

Then we signed him and everybody's tune changed.

I guess that is to be expected.

I think people were nonchalant about not getting him last year because there was no sense in crying about it. Shrugged it off like we should. Myself, I wasn't happy about a veteran RB at all. What changed my tune was going out and searching everything on SJax I could find. I've watched every game of his last year and most of the year before now , plus lots of other film sources. It is obvious he isn't slowing down yet and I was amazed at how impressive a football player he actually is.

The addition of Steven Jackson has been oversold by everyone, but that's cool. I mean, the guy he is replacing scored 60 TDs in the last 5 years, which is really quite an incredible number. There are only 3 other backs in the NFL right now who have that many TDs in their CAREERS, and Jackson isn't one of them.

The funny thing is when it first came out that he would be available in the middle of last season, the collective opinion of the board was "so what, the guy is about done".

I wouldn't say oversold. It's like adding 2010 Michael Turner with a slot receiver's hands.he fits the scheme better. The rams were horrible teams. There are other players to account for. SJax will at least be as good as Turner was with a whole new dimension.

Yea. I like the way u said that.

I wouldn't say oversold. It's like adding 2010 Michael Turner with a slot receiver's hands.he fits the scheme better. The rams were horrible teams. There are other players to account for. SJax will at least be as good as Turner was with a whole new dimension.

Steven Jackson doesn't have the ability anymore to hit the long run like Turner could a couple of years ago.

He's solid. He can catch, but he certainly can't run routes like anything but a large running back.

Steven Jackson isn't going to be the difference in this team taking the next step. That is going to have to come from a defense that can make a play when it has to.

We still hoped that Turner would get the job done and we expected JJ to get better,Turner did not and JJ far surpassed our expectations.Quizz was a surprise no one expected.Now toss in Jackson,and we all expect improvement,Roddy,JJ,Tony,Steven J,Quizz,the rookies and some older picks will all need to perform better than last year,the monkey is dead,now it's time to rise up and dominate!

Steven Jackson doesn't have the ability anymore to hit the long run like Turner could a couple of years ago.

He's solid. He can catch, but he certainly can't run routes like anything but a large running back.

Steven Jackson isn't going to be the difference in this team taking the next step. That is going to have to come from a defense that can make a play when it has to.

You mean like keep the niners from scoring after the offense turned the all over twice?

If you don't think Jackson will help with 4th quarter leads I have no idea what to tell you.

Btw Turner had 5 runs over 20 last year..... Jackson had 5 as well

in 2010 Turner had 9 runs over 20....Jackson had 7

so lets not act like Jackson is slower than turner ok?

I think Steven can still break the long run. I think not having 8 and 9 man fronts 99% of his snaps makes all the difference. He'll have a few 30+ yard runs this season.

Steven Jackson won't be tiptoeing on short yardage like Turner was toward the end. I'm not saying he's going revolutionize the game and guarantee us a Super Bowl as 30 year old back. I'm just saying he adds another wrinkle to our passing offense and will get us the yard we need in the short yardage running game. You don't think if we had him against San Fran it would've helped?

Everyone knows our Defense needs help, but that doesn't mean Stephen Jackson isn't a huge upgrade over an overweight, unable to pass a physical Michael Turner. I love Turner, but he is done. SJax still has some gas in the tank, and keeps himself in much better shape.

I disagree with you on this one, and I wasn't sold on the signing either.

Sorry Peyton I gotta disagree aswell Bro.

I mean if he wasn't going to be a difference maker why would TD bother going out and getting this guy is the question that came to me right off after reading your post.

Fatboi,Falconsd56 & Paulitik bring up legit points also with regards to SJAX also.

We haven't had such a good back since Michael Turner in 2008. But it is very possible that Tony G, S-JAX, Roddy, Matt Ryan and Julio J could all be hall of fame level talent, barring injuries. I think Roddy is but nobody seems to respect him, so he may never get in. Julio J will probably have too many injuries and never quite reach that level. But they are that good.

This is sometimes what you get, but I think about mid-season everyone was content with what we had, and didn't know what would be happening. Now that I look bad at it maybe it's ok that we didn't draft a RB this year hopefully we'll get Either one of the Gurshall duo (I can dream can't I).

Seriously if Atlanta could find a creative way to tank and get one of those two if not both that would be Awesome(I know I know it's the Georgia Bulldogs in me lol).

As much as I liked what Koetter did last year, the problems in the run game last year were as much his fault as they were Turner's.

When the Falcons threw the ball like 60 times in a preseason game and ran it like 10, he said "we don't need to run it, we didn't forget how to run the ball over the off season".

The Falcons never established any rhythm in the running game in training camp or the preseason, and it carried over that way all season.

The Falcons ran it pretty well in the playoff game against Seattle though.

I have wanted SJAX since before he was ever linked to the Falcons. I am stoked about what he will do for our offense and I think he is going to surprise some of you guys. You have seen how he keeps his body in top condition. I believe he thinks he has a shot at the HOF if he has 3 more great years and we can win a superbowl. He is super motivated to succeed. And don't underestimate his leadership qualities. Just my 2 cents.

I mean if he wasn't going to be a difference maker why would TD bother going out and getting this guy is the question that came to me right off after reading your post.

Because he is starter material, and I don't think the Falcons believe that Rodgers is starting material.

He's not a superstar anymore though. Why would the Falcons be able to sign the guy so incredibly cheap if he was?

I completely disagree with you. He may not be able to in madden but he can in real life. Been watching him every Sunday for years. Steven Jackson still, and always has hit the hole better (lol!) than the burner.