All Time Best Running Backs In The Falcons History.

falcons007

Best RB  

137 members have voted

1. 1. WHo is the best RB in the Falcons Franchise History? Pick 2

• Michael Turner
    • Gerald Riggs
    • William Andrews
    • Jamal Anderson
    • Warrick Dunn
    • Others

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough. I love all the ones listed. I'm most partial to Andrews and Riggs. Turner is up there though. Dunn was such a class act, it's hard not to count him.(Don't forget Ironhead)

Yeah its a tough choice, all great candidates and not many spots. I personally went with Turner for what he did in 2008 and till 2010 and Andrews.

I voted William Andrews

BUT The ghost of Cannonball Butler is roaming around these boards also

Harman Wages -use to enjoy him -- the Snelling of his day

Dave Hampton was a good back Broke 1000 yds in 72 or 73 then got tackled for a loss on his last carry 72-995;;;;73-997 can't remember if those were 12 or 14 game seasons

Edited by delaigle

I can't help but to think Turner's contributions are being terribly overlooked for the sake nostalgia.

Turner played a significantly smaller number of games for the Falcons than Riggs, Andrews, Dunn, Anderson, etc. yet he is #2 all time in rushing yardage for the franchise.

He had far more rushing TDs than anyone else... 60 TDs, which is 12 more than Riggs & 30 more than Andrews, Dunn, Anderson, Duckett, etc.

Turner & Dunn only had 15 fumbles w/ about 1400 carries, which was far better than Riggs (32 fumbles on just under 1600 carries) & Andrews (30 fumbles on just over 1300 carries).

While Andrews, Riggs, Anderson, and Dunn's impact in the passing game obviously make them more well rounded, Turner was probably the best pure rusher we've ever had.

I can't help but to think Turner's contributions are being terribly overlooked for the sake nostalgia.

Turner played a significantly smaller number of games for the Falcons than Riggs, Andrews, Dunn, Anderson, etc. yet he is #2 all time in rushing yardage for the franchise.

He had far more rushing TDs than anyone else... 60 TDs, which is 12 more than Riggs & 30 more than Andrews, Dunn, Anderson, Duckett, etc.

Turner & Dunn only had 15 fumbles w/ about 1400 carries, which was far better than Riggs (32 fumbles on just under 1600 carries) & Andrews (30 fumbles on just over 1300 carries).

While Andrews, Riggs, Anderson, and Dunn's impact in the passing game obviously make them more well rounded, Turner was probably the best pure rusher we've ever had.

Turner was a flat out beast on the run, but as far as well rounded (no pun intended for the bowling ball), no one was better than Andrews. He would run them over - and caught like a WR too.

What I called Turner the whole time he was here was a Touchdown machine - no matter how the ball got down there - he was good for the touchdown.

But yards from scrimmage - Andrews played 72 games with us and had 8,633 yards from scrimmage and 41 touchdowns. Turner played 75 games with us and had 6,538 yards from scrimmage and 61 touchdowns.

That's 119.9 yards from scrimmage per game for Andrews and 87.2 yards from scrimmage per game for Turner.

If Turner ever caught on to receiving and kept his weight down, he might be the best all around running back in our history - but he never really caught the ball well. He was a touchdown machine though - and that's largely because Mularkey liked to run, run, run at the goal line.

Turner was a flat out beast on the run, but as far as well rounded (no pun intended for the bowling ball), no one was better than Andrews. He would run them over - and caught like a WR too.

What I called Turner the whole time he was here was a Touchdown machine - no matter how the ball got down there - he was good for the touchdown.

But yards from scrimmage - Andrews played 72 games with us and had 8,633 yards from scrimmage and 41 touchdowns. Turner played 75 games with us and had 6,538 yards from scrimmage and 61 touchdowns.

That's 119.9 yards from scrimmage per game for Andrews and 87.2 yards from scrimmage per game for Turner.

If Turner ever caught on to receiving and kept his weight down, he might be the best all around running back in our history - but he never really caught the ball well. He was a touchdown machine though - and that's largely because Mularkey liked to run, run, run at the goal line.

Andrews is without a doubt the most well rounded of the bunch. The only real knock on the guy is that he fumbled once every 3 games on average. And for the record, he actually played 87 games with the Falcons, which makes his avg. 99 yards per game, not 119.

Dunn, Jam, and Riggs are all pretty close in terms of combined running & receiving production.

I'd have to go:

1. Andrews - Best overall back hands down.

2. Turner - Best pure runner when in his prime. I will never forget watching him drag a 260lb Chiefs linebacker 10 yards down the field, while accelerating, just to break another tackle or two & rumble another 15-20 yards. Everyone knew he was getting the ball, and they still couldn't stop him. Rarely coughed it up.

3. Riggs - All time Falcons rushing leader & the reason I became a Falcons fan.

4. Dunn - Great overall production, but probably benefitted from teams having to account for Vick.

5. Anderson - Great overall production, but couldn't stay healthy.