Steven Jackson Is Falcons Veteran In A '22-Year-Old's Body'

Trouble

When Steven Jackson reached free agency for the first time in his career this offseason, teams told his agent they were hesitant to invest in a 30-year-old running back.

"That's a hard thing, accepting and acknowledging that," Jackson told Pete Prico of CBSSports.com. "I want to take great pride in changing that thinking." Acknowledging that aging NFL stars must "continue to evolve" or be "left behind," Jackson points to recently inducted Hall of Famer Curtis Martin as his role model. Martin was 31 years old when he won the NFL rushing crown with 1,697 yards in 2004.

As head coach Mike Smith told USA TODAY Sports' Jarrett Bell, Jackson is "almost 30, but in a 22-year-old's body."

Always is phenomenal shape thanks to a more scientific approach to fitness, Jackson should be well prepared for an increased role in the Falcons' pass-centric offense. Matt Ryan is quick to point out that his backfield new weapon is "the size of Julio Jones" with soft hands for a running back.

"The offense starts with Matt," Jackson told Prisco. "I will get the bulk of my carries in the second half. In the first half, I would imagine the majority of my touches will be receiving the ball. I can focus on my becoming the back everyone saw early in my career.

That plan should be music to the ears of Falcons fans who watched the coaching staff lose faith in a burned-out Michael Turner in short-yardage and clock-killing situations during the past two postseasons. If Atlanta had Jackson to salt away the 24-14 halftime lead against the San Francisco 49ers in January, they may have hoisted their first Lombardi Trophy two weeks later.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000211617/article/steven-jackson-is-falcons-veteran-in-a-22yearolds-body

I read this earlier. Gosh I hope so! He sure as heck looks to be in great shape. I just pray his knees feel the same way.

He's always been a helluva physical speciman. I just don't see him getting too many touches without having his knees be an issue.

Saying and achieving is far from each other. Lol

Why couldn't he just go to the ******* AFC lol

Well for about an hour he was a Packer apparently! Lots of broken hearts in Atlanta for a short time. So many false FA signings this year.

He's always been a helluva physical speciman. I just don't see him getting too many touches without having his knees be an issue.

I think he gets through this year just fine , maybe even next year too. He has Quizz to share some of the load and of course teams can't key in on him like they did in St Louis anymore. I doubt he plays his third year of the contract though. In Atlanta at least.

Guest Masbinacci

:) same reason we where cursed to get Revis here. Seems like alot of big name FA`s have to play in the South.

Big difference.

Revis almost 20.

Jackson almost 4.

Just saying

He will be fine..

Quiz will share some of the load.

He will also be catching more passes out of the backfield.

So that will cut down on some of the contact, instead of constantly running between the tackles.

I think he will surprise a lot of people.

Am I saying he will have a monster season with like 1,700 yards and 18 TD's???? He// no..

I believe he catches a lot of passes in the first half, we get a lead.

Then in the second half, he takes over, and does something we couldn't do last year....

He will be fine..

Quiz will share some of the load.

He will also be catching more passes out of the backfield.

So that will cut down on some of the contact, instead of constantly running between the tackles.

I think he will surprise a lot of people.

Am I saying he will have a monster season with like 1,700 yards and 18 TD's???? He// no..

I believe he catches a lot of passes in the first half, we get a lead.

Then in the second half, he takes over, and does something we couldn't do last year....

Close out games! ph34r.png

lol

I was happy then I was sad. Lol

I liked watching jackson in st Louis.

Not anymore though

He was fun to watch. Very powerful, upright runner. Yeah, I have a feeling though these days those cold, rainy autumn nights in Atlanta are gonna really age those old bones of his.

He was fun to watch. Very powerful, upright runner. Yeah, I have a feeling though these days those cold, rainy autumn nights in Atlanta are gonna really age those old bones of his.

Yeah, because the weather in the Georgia Dome is soo much worse than the weather in the 'Whatever the **** it's called' Dome in St. Louis!

STFU & GTFO

Yeah, because the weather in the Georgia Dome is soo much worse than the weather in the 'Whatever the **** it's called' Dome in St. Louis!

STFU & GTFO

Sorry, I didn't realize NFL players actually lived in the Stadiums in which they play. My bad!wink.png

Sorry, I didn't realize the winter weather in Atlanta is worse than St. Louis', my bad.mellow.png

That's okay, you probably just didn't know.laugh.png

Seriously though, I was up in Atlanta back in '94 for the Super Bowl, and they had ice like you wouldn't believe! Cold and rainy, just overall nasty, but we had a great time.