Toy Gun Buyback...now I've Seen Everything

Boogie Man

California elementary school holds a toy gun buyback

Charles Hill, principal of Strobridge Elementary School in Hayward, Calif., isn't a fan of toy guns or the effect he believes they have on kids. "Playing with toy guns, saying 'I'm going to shoot you,' desensitizes them, so as they get older, it's easier for them to use a real gun," he said. That's why, last Saturday, Hill organized a toy gun trade-in program at his school. In exchange for their faux firearms, kids could get free books and a shot at a new bike. As part of the safety-themed event, police officers and firefighters also came in to talk to the kids. Hey, can't be too safe. 

What a crock! I'm willing to bet kids in the last 20 years played with guns 100 times less than the previous 50! 

Desensitizes kids? No, it's the glorification of violence that confuses the weak minded into believing killing makes ya cool, tough or legendary...NOT toy guns smh

California elementary school holds a toy gun buyback

Charles Hill, principal of Strobridge Elementary School in Hayward, Calif., isn't a fan of toy guns or the effect he believes they have on kids. "Playing with toy guns, saying 'I'm going to shoot you,' desensitizes them, so as they get older, it's easier for them to use a real gun," he said. That's why, last Saturday, Hill organized a toy gun trade-in program at his school. In exchange for their faux firearms, kids could get free books and a shot at a new bike. As part of the safety-themed event, police officers and firefighters also came in to talk to the kids. Hey, can't be too safe.

What a crock! I'm willing to bet kids in the last 20 years played with guns 100 times less than the previous 50!

Desensitizes kids? No, it's the glorification of violence that confuses the weak minded into believing killing makes ya cool, tough or legendary...NOT toy guns smh

So toy guns does not cause the "glorification of violence that confuses the weak minded into believing killing makes ya cool, tough or legendary".

No, it's toy games (Xbox) an fictional movies that causes the "glorification of violence that confuses the weak minded into believing killing makes ya cool, tough or legendary".

Brilliant, I tell ya'.

So toy guns does not cause the "glorification of violence that confuses the weak minded into believing killing makes ya cool, tough or legendary".

No, it's toy games (Xbox) an fictional movies that causes the "glorification of violence that confuses the weak minded into believing killing makes ya cool, tough or legendary".

Brilliant, I tell ya'.

That's BS pantie-waste left-wing logic. If toy guns caused boys to be "desensitized" to violence, then the crazy shootings would have begun many decades ago. Also, if toy guns actually did what you believe, then I'd be on death row, cause I took out a buncha pretend bad guys with my cap guns as a kid, lol

Edited by Truthhurts

That's BS pantie-waste left-wing logic. If toy guns caused boys to be "desensitized" to violence, then the crazy shootings would have begun many decades ago. Also, if toy guns actually did what you believe, then I'd be on death row, cause I took out a buncha pretend bad guys with my cap guns as a kid, lol

I never said that toy guns caused violence. I was pointing out the BS pantie-waste right-wing logic that says that video games, not toy guns, are what causes violence. In truth, neither causes them. They can tip mentally unstable people to do violence, but it's not a direct cause for EITHER toy guns OR toy games.

I never said that toy guns caused violence. I was pointing out the BS pantie-waste right-wing logic that says that video games, not toy guns, are what causes violence. In truth, neither causes them. They can tip mentally unstable people to do violence, but it's not a direct cause for EITHER toy guns OR toy games.

Haven't seen the game buyback yet, keep me posted

So "weak minded people" are turned into violent killers by games. But toy guns have no effect whatsoever.

Because that makes perfect sense.

Why are you so hopped up on video games? What about movies and music? I believe they're more influential than games or toys

Why are you so hopped up on video games? What about movies and music? I believe they're more influential than games or toys

Okay, movies and music. Because merely hearing or seeing people engage in violence will turn the "weak minded" into violent killers. But physically practicing the act of shooting someone has no effect whatsoever.

As I said, that makes perfect sense

Okay, movies and music. Because merely hearing or seeing people engage in violence will turn the "weak minded" into violent killers. But physically practicing the act of shooting someone has no effect whatsoever.

As I said, that makes perfect sense

Me pretending to shoot someone is not the same as some kid hearing or seeing someone hailed for being a murderer, is it in your world?

Dude I dont think you understand what he is saying. He is saying neither guns nor videogames cause violence yet some right winged people try to say that the videogames are mostly responsible for kids shooting up schools, movie theatres, malls, etc.

Edited by Ryan2JulioTD

It's not a stretch to think that toy guns get kids cozy with the idea of real guns. You start with toy guns, water guns and go to BB guns and eventually are old enough to buy the real deal.

I find it funny that people(no one in particular) refer to gateway drugs but think a toy gun in the hands of a kid isn't a gateway to future gun ownership.

It's not a stretch to think that toy guns get kids cozy with the idea of real guns. You start with toy guns, water guns and go to BB guns and eventually are old enough to buy the real deal.

I find it funny that people(no one in particular) refer to gateway drugs but think a toy gun in the hands of a kid isn't a gateway to future gun ownership.

Ive owned guns my entire life but I was taught at a very young age how to be responsible when using them. The only thing owning a gun does is give people who are already mentally unstable an easier way to hurt others. They are not going to turn a good person into a psycho killer.

Ive owned guns my entire life but I was taught at a very young age how to be responsible when using them. The only thing owning a gun does is give people who are already mentally unstable an easier way to hurt others. They are not going to turn a good person into a psycho killer.

I never would claim that giving someone a gun turns them into a psycho killer.

My only point is that it's definitely, IMO, a clear pathway to future ownership. And at times it can be one of the overlooked causes of illegal(underage) ownership. Sometimes people should resist planting the thought of guns in a fragile mind until the person can think responsibly.

It's undeniable that this is a country obsessed with guns from birth until death.

As a kid, you have some sort of gun. You play video games full of them. TV is full of the violence. It's boneheaded to think this doesn't remain in the psyche. It may not cause people to turn into irresposible psychos but there's no reason to be surprised why all forms of entertainment are ruled by violence.

I never would claim that giving someone a gun turns them into a psycho killer.

My only point is that it's definitely, IMO, a clear pathway to future ownership. And at times it can be one of the overlooked causes of illegal(underage) ownership. Sometimes people should resist planting the thought of guns in a fragile mind until the person can think responsibly.

It's undeniable that this is a country obsessed with guns from birth until death.

As a kid, you have some sort of gun. You play video games full of them. TV is full of the violence. It's boneheaded to think this doesn't remain in the psyche. It may not cause people to turn into irresposible psychos but there's no reason to be surprised why all forms of entertainment are ruled by violence.

If all of that is true why is it that there were nowhere near as many school shootings in the 50s and 60s as there are now? Especially considering that was one of the main things kids played with back then. I think the one big change that has caused this problem is the attention kids get at home. As long as you have parents explaining to their kids what is right and what is wrong these problems normally don't occur. Its when you have a generation of kids with no dads, sorry *** parents, etc. that refuse to take the time to raise their kids right that these type of problems come up. Just my 2 cents

If all of that is true why is it that there were nowhere near as many school shootings in the 50s and 60s as there are now? Especially considering that was one of the main things kids played with back then. I think the one big change that has caused this problem is the attention kids get at home. As long as you have parents explaining to their kids what is right and what is wrong these problems normally don't occur. Its when you have a generation of kids with no dads, sorry *** parents, etc. that refuse to take the time to raise their kids right that these type of problems come up. Just my 2 cents

The entertainment industry is a lot different than it was back then, as well.

Only 1/3 of what I listed existed in the 50's and 60's. Also, it was a thriving time for the middle class. Violent entertainment wasn't as relevant and everyday stress levels were nothing like today.

Honestly, it's apples and oranges. Two different worlds.

The entertainment industry is a lot different than it was back then, as well.

Only 1/3 of what I listed existed in the 50's and 60's. Also, it was a thriving time for the middle class. Violent entertainment wasn't as relevant and everyday stress levels were nothing like today.

Honestly, it's apples and oranges. Two different worlds.

True its two different worlds but there were plenty of old westerns on every single day all day long back then. That's all that those movies are about is shooting people. Raise a kid right and he will turn out good the majority of the time. Don't raise a kid at all and **** can go bad.

I'd post one of those stupid *** applause gifs if they weren't so stupid

True its two different worlds but there were plenty of old westerns on every single day all day long back then. That's all that those movies are about is shooting people. Raise a kid right and he will turn out good the majority of the time. Don't raise a kid at all and **** can go bad.

Westerns don't even compare to what exists every minute today. The tv's didn't even air anything after a certain time. Now, it's the 24 hours news cycle and nearly every show and movie out there revolve around violence.

The point was never slim enough to where Westerns on tv then compare to what we have now. It's a bigger picture of everything and many of the things today didn't exist then.