Matthew Thomas

Reeves

Anything new on him at all? Last I read (within the last week or so) was that he had not reported yet. Not sure how big of a deal that really is, but I guess it does say he's pretty serious about going elsewhere - hopefully Georgia.

And for the record, I don't disagree with Jimbo for not letting him out of his LOI. If you think Jimbo is wrong, just ask whether you would feel the same if AJ had decided against coming to UGA right before the '08 season and there was going to be an absolute circus in trying to keep him or let him get re-recruited until the 11th hour.

But I digress. Any news on him? Cody?

Jimbo should let him go but I understand why he won't. Well sit a bad precedent. But as long as coaches can leave and not face sitting out a year so should players

i understand the sentiment but that is like comparing apples and oranges. The players are committing to a school to get an education for only 4 years and play football. the coach is being PAID to stay there and coach. Coaches are always going to be in flux but when a player commits it is for 4 years and then you move on. If the players were being legitimately paid by the schools then I would agree with you 100%. Until then ( and i hope it never comes to that) once the player signs the LOI he is tied to that school.

i understand the sentiment but that is like comparing apples and oranges. The players are committing to a school to get an education for only 4 years and play football. the coach is being PAID to stay there and coach. Coaches are always going to be in flux but when a player commits it is for 4 years and then you move on. If the players were being legitimately paid by the schools then I would agree with you 100%. Until then ( and i hope it never comes to that) once the player signs the LOI he is tied to that school.

If he is let out of his LOI, the precedent set is that schools/coaches will not be able to stop recruiting kids on Signing Day -- recruiting will go through each kids' respective reporting date. There would probably be a couple of kids from each team who you would get out-recruited on and lose between Signing Day and Fall Camp.

actually you are commited for a year. Scholarships are only good for one year. Coaches can take them away after a year. So if a player stay 4 years than he would have got 4 scholarships. And the players are the reason the coach gets paid.

actually you are commited for a year. Scholarships are only good for one year. Coaches can take them away after a year. So if a player stay 4 years than he would have got 4 scholarships. And the players are the reason the coach gets paid.

not all scholarships are 1 year. i know some schools do that but isn't UGA one of the few that offer a 4 year scholarship?

look at the kolton houston saga. isn't he still on scholarship even though he isnt playing?

and you are right it is because of the players that the coaches get paid, but you are diving into a different arena suggesting players should be paid.

right now they are being paid by the education they receive. at a certain point the athlete has to make his decision on where to go to begin spring practice, coaches can start to scheme for their players, and the universities can get them placed in classes.

that day to make a decision is NSD. period. He had plenty of time to decide and now he needs to honor that commitment he made.

if we as a society keep giving in to the youth of today and not making them hold their word then what kind of people are we raising?

These kids that wait til NSD have had a long long time to think about thier decision- think the punishment of losing a year is Good and FSU shouldnt open that pandora's box to create more future drama by letting him out... and even further dont do anything to help or benefit slimy Lane Kiffin.

not all scholarships are 1 year. i know some schools do that but isn't UGA one of the few that offer a 4 year scholarship?

look at the kolton houston saga. isn't he still on scholarship even though he isnt playing?

and you are right it is because of the players that the coaches get paid, but you are diving into a different arena suggesting players should be paid.

right now they are being paid by the education they receive. at a certain point the athlete has to make his decision on where to go to begin spring practice, coaches can start to scheme for their players, and the universities can get them placed in classes.

that day to make a decision is NSD. period. He had plenty of time to decide and now he needs to honor that commitment he made.

if we as a society keep giving in to the youth of today and not making them hold their word then what kind of people are we raising?

you can't offer a 4 year scholarship. No school can. Scholarships are only good for one academic year. And I undetstand why jimbo won't release him. He is a very talented player. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it. They are getting a free education. That is true. But they also have to abide by the ncaa rules. A regular student can accept money or gifts from people. Players can't. Thats why I hate the ncaa rules. A free education don't provide you with food when the school is close

Sounds like his mom pressured him into a decision he didn't want to make. Now he has to live with the consequences. A year is not that big of a deal. He gets to practice and get acclimated for a year. Don't know why you'd want to play for Kiffin but best of luck to the kid.

you can't offer a 4 year scholarship. No school can. Scholarships are only good for one academic year. And I undetstand why jimbo won't release him. He is a very talented player. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it. They are getting a free education. That is true. But they also have to abide by the ncaa rules. A regular student can accept money or gifts from people. Players can't. Thats why I hate the ncaa rules. A free education don't provide you with food when the school is close

actually what you said above is no longer correct regarding scholarships.. you can indeed offer guaranteed 4 year scholarships that are not yearly renewable. that was changed last year where teams are allowed to offer a 4 year scholarship instead of as you mentioned the 1 year deals that are renewed. all sec teams do it and despite alabama voting for the rescinded of the multi-year deal they are even offering 4 year scholarships. the entire big 10 is doing it as well. i know a number of big 12 schools are doing it. now the question is who is getting those scholarships? 5 star players like matthew thomas are most likely getting them, but we both know the lower tier kids may not depending on the school. i agree with your view on players though and their lack of ability to move while coaches do it often even lying to players and then moving right after nsd. there is zero protection for kids who are lied to for instance and then a coach leaves after a player has no recourse, but to lose eligibility.

Looks like Matthew will honor his commitment to FSU now.

"After meeting with coach Fisher and his staff and gathering all the information I have decided to honor my commitment to Florida State," Thomas said in a statement released to Warchant.com. "I also want to be close to my family and I want be part of what they are building at Florida State. I'm looking forward to winning games at Florida State and building towards my future."

Oh, yeah: Suck it, Kiffin!

Edited by MemphibianDawg

I feel like USC is trying to pay him. He threw UGA in the "mix" because everyone knows Richt wont pay for players and it would give the whole "I just dont want to play at FSU" argument more credibility.

smart head coaches never get their hands dirty by paying players. And they don't have to cause plenty of boosters will pay. Every school has people that pay players. EVERY SCHOOL

smart head coaches never get their hands dirty by paying players. And they don't have to cause plenty of boosters will pay. Every school has people that pay players. EVERY SCHOOL

That may be true, but if all of the sudden you just say screw FSU I want to go to USC, it looks a little fishy. If you throw UGA in there as well it doesnt look as bad.

I don't think that. I mean he did like uga. And usc is in LA.

i agree with what he said regarding UGA being added not the payment aspect, but the fact it looks better for USC that it wasn't the only team mentioned. Kiffin didn't give up on recruiting Matthew Thomas especially after MT said that USC was his 2nd choice and his mom made him pick FSU. It's all about perception even for kiffin. UCLA's recruitment of EV has caused quite a stir, but when MT listed multiple teams he showed interest in it wasn't a "well USC continued to recruit MT", but a "MT is unhappy because his mom wouldn't let him go elsewhere" thing. that plays a lot better nationally than what kiffin would be accused of.