What Richard Seymour Would Bring To The Falcons

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carasik's paragraph:

"The issue lies on the inside pass rush. Last season, Jonathan Babineaux was excellent early in the season getting five sacks, one hit and 11 hurries in the first nine games of the year. However, it fell to just one sack, three hits and nine hurries over the last seven games and the two playoff games."

poorly written in that it makes it sound like Babineaux was getting to the QB a lot and had 5 sacks. His words don't technically say that but it is murky and poorly written - come on Scott.

It was interesting to look and see that Babs had two sacks through the first two games of the year and then had 1.5 sacks over the last 14 games.

But, Babs is an "EXCELLENT" pass rusher...

Carasik's paragraph:

"The issue lies on the inside pass rush. Last season, Jonathan Babineaux was excellent early in the season getting five sacks, one hit and 11 hurries in the first nine games of the year. However, it fell to just one sack, three hits and nine hurries over the last seven games and the two playoff games."

poorly written in that it makes it sound like Babineaux was getting to the QB a lot and had 5 sacks. His words don't technically say that but it is murky and poorly written - come on Scott.

It was interesting to look and see that Babs had two sacks through the first two games of the year and then had 1.5 sacks over the last 14 games.

But, Babs is an "EXCELLENT" pass rusher...

Better than Seymour who had 3 in 8 games. Babs production went down after he started playing LDE from the redskins game.

Better than Seymour who had 3 in 8 games. Babs production went down after he started playing LDE from the redskins game.

so, 3 over 8 is worse than 3.5 over 16? wow, i need to take algebra again.

also, DEs get more "one-on-one" matchups rushing the passer than DTs do - so, if anything, Babs should have had more sacks when moving to DE - not less. And he did not really do it that much anyway.

so, 3 over 8 is worse than 3.5 over 16? wow, i need to take algebra again.

also, DEs get more "one-on-one" matchups rushing the passer than DTs do - so, if anything, Babs should have had more sacks when moving to DE - not less. And he did not really do it that much anyway.

You need to learn to watch football, Only 1 techDT get double teams most of the times Seymour didn't get any double teams, last year as a 3 tech. Babs played out of position, his natural playing position is a 3 tech DT not a six tech DE. 2.5 sacks in first five games playing as DT is better than a guy who could just get 3 sacks in 8 games.

You need to learn to watch football, Only 1 techDT get double teams most of the times Seymour didn't get any double teams, last year as a 3 tech. Babs played out of position, his natural playing position is a 3 tech DT not a six tech DE. 2.5 sacks in first five games playing as DT is better than a guy who could just get 3 sacks in 8 games.

sorry, you can "dazzle us with your words" but Babs has not been effective rushing the passer for three years now. He does not get sacks - and he does not get pressure. Babs is good at TFLs only and those are very low impact plays overall as they come against the run game and usually turns a "1st and 10" into a "2nd and 14" - but then on 2nd/3rd down he does not get much past the LOS rushing the passer.

Babs has some high TFL's compared to his peers, but that is really all he contributes - he does not hold the POA in running game and he gets no push in the pass rush.

If we sign Richard Seymour, I would look for Babs to be pulled a lot on 3rd downs while moving Goodman inside(if Goodman prove effective) to pair w/ Seymour for an interior pass rush.

Then we could have Osi and Kroy/Massaquoi/Maponga flying off the edge. Those LDE's would look better rushing passer next to effective pass rushers in the interior than what we got last year with Babs/Peters/Jerry.

sorry, you can "dazzle us with your words" but Babs has not been effective rushing the passer for three years now. He does not get sacks - and he does not get pressure. Babs is good at TFLs only and those are very low impact plays overall as they come against the run game and usually turns a "1st and 10" into a "2nd and 14" - but then on 2nd/3rd down he does not get much past the LOS rushing the passer.

Babs has some high TFL's compared to his peers, but that is really all he contributes - he does not hold the POA in running game and he gets no push in the pass rush.

LMAO, Did you watch Seymopur last year? He disappeared against good OL. Babs was great in the game against Denver, Seymour couldn't do anything against DEN and got benched (Barely played 50% of the snaps). I know you are a Babs hater but Seymour wasn't any better except against teams like JAX and other scrubs.

If we sign Richard Seymour, I would look for Babs to be pulled a lot on 3rd downs while moving Goodman inside(if Goodman prove effective) to pair w/ Seymour for an interior pass rush.

Then we could have Osi and Kroy/Massaquoi/Maponga flying off the edge. Those LDE's would look better rushing passer next to effective pass rushers in the interior than what we got last year with Babs/Peters/Jerry.

I wonder why OAK pulled Seymour on third downs last year.

Carasik's paragraph:

think about that - again, i cannot tell from Scott's quotes if this is 7 games (w/ playoff games) or 7 regular season plus 2 playoff games for total of 9 games.

either way, over 7 or 9 games, falcons interior pass rush hit/sacked the opposing QB 4 times....that is awful.

LMAO, Did you watch Seymopur last year? He disappeared against good OL. Babs was great in the game against Denver, Seymour couldn't do anything against DEN and got benched (Barely played 50% of the snaps). I know you are a Babs hater but Seymour wasn't any better except against teams like JAX and other scrubs.

if Seymour can "fog glass" he cannot do any worse than what Babs did last year rushing the passer last year.

if Seymour can "fog glass" he cannot do any worse than what Babs did last year rushing the passer last year.

He was worse than Babs last year, the games against common opponents is a very good indicator. Seymour is being hyped, agreed I bought in to that till couple of weeks. But after watching the games from last year and few from 2011, I don't think Seymour is more than a rotational player who can play 50% of the snaps. Seymour didn't get any penetration either in pass or run game, at least Babs is disruptive in the run game.

He was worse than Babs last year, the games against common opponents is a very good indicator. Seymour is being hyped, agreed I bought in to that till couple of weeks. But after watching the games from last year and few from 2011, I don't think Seymour is more than a rotational player who can play 50% of the snaps. Seymour didn't get any penetration either in pass or run game, at least Babs is disruptive in the run game.

Seymour may be overhyped but he was probably never 100% the entire year last year. And, even in a down year, he's a better pass rusher - you have not proved otherwise and the stats back my argument up - not yours.

Ultimately, its going to come down to money. If Falcons view Seymour as a rotational player, they probably won't offer more than $3-$4mm/yr - Seymour likely won't come back to play for that. If Falcons view Seymour as missing piece, then they might be willing to pay him $5mm/yr for 1-2 years.

Babs' is not a good pass rusher anymore. He's just not.

Seymour has length and more versatility to play multiple positions in a Mike Nolan offense than does Babineaux - this is large reason he is coveted by the Falcons.

Seymour may be overhyped but he was probably never 100% the entire year last year. And, even in a down year, he's a better pass rusher - you have not proved otherwise and the stats back my argument up - not yours.

Ultimately, its going to come down to money. If Falcons view Seymour as a rotational player, they probably won't offer more than $3-$4mm/yr - Seymour likely won't come back to play for that. If Falcons view Seymour as missing piece, then they might be willing to pay him $5mm/yr for 1-2 years.

Babs' is not a good pass rusher anymore. He's just not.

Seymour has length and more versatility to play multiple positions in a Mike Nolan offense than does Babineaux - this is large reason he is coveted by the Falcons.

We can disagree about Babs but Raiders benched him on passing downs, and Seymour hasn't been good or played at a very high level from 2011. Seymour can be a good vet and a role player not a guy who will probably be paid 4 or 5 M.

We can disagree about Babs but Raiders benched him on passing downs, and Seymour hasn't been good or played at a very high level from 2011. Seymour can be a good vet and a role player not a guy who will probably be paid 4 or 5 M.

like you said, we will agree to disagree on Babs. I have watched Babs' career as I don't miss any Falcons games. He is not and has not been an impact defender for the last few years.

On Seymour, obviously if he is not going to be better than he was in his HURT year of last year, then he probably would just be, as you said, a rotational guy. If Seymour is fully healthy, I still believe he could be an impact player - or, at worst - the best overall DT on Falcon roster (which is not saying much).

So you're saying the only year he hasn't played at a high level is 2012--the year he was injured, but as GDawg pointed out had 3 sacks in 8 games, which meant he was having a good year.

As far as getting benched, there is something called a rotation. Not unusual for some DTs to play in certain situations. We have a very heavily rotated DT rotation, in fact