If It Was Your Call What Would You Do When Beachy Comes Back?

Ryan2JulioTD

Just wondering what you guys think would be the best option. Personally I would start him off in the pen and if he looks like his old self I would end up letting him take Maholms spot as a starter and either move Paul to the pen or trade him for another bullpen arm. I thought about having him take Huddys spot but Huddy is to much of a leader on the team.

Edited by Ryan2JulioTD

I pretty much agree with everybody else. Add him to the bullpen and see what happens on the injury front. As we wind down closer to the postseason and have what we need clinched maybe he can also take a few of Huddy or Maholm's starts to keep them fresh.

I am wondering who they will send down when he comes up. And beachy might not be effective coming out the pen. What about a 6 man rotation until things get sorted out?

personally I have never liked the 6 man rotation idea but that's just my 2 cents. Either way it is a good problem to have. We have a great staff this year and it will be that much better next season when Huddy is gone.

Just throwing it out there but they also have the option of throwing Medlen in the pen who has some experience in that department.

I dunno though....alot worse problems to have though I do know that.

I think for sure it's going to be a six man rotation in the short term before Wren and Fredi make their ultimate decision.

Just throwing it out there but they also have the option of throwing Medlen in the pen who has some experience in that department.

I dunno though....alot worse problems to have though I do know that.

I think for sure it's going to be a six man rotation in the short term before Wren and Fredi make their ultimate decision.

I would hate that for Medlen. As much as they moved him back and for the between the pen and rotation when he came up I think he had earned his spot.

Since posting a 8.69 ERA in his final four starts of May, Tim Hudson has allowed one earned run in the 14 1/3 innings that have encompassed his past two starts. The mechanical issues that plagued Kris Medlen during this season's first six weeks have evaporated as he has not allowed an earned run in three of his past five starts.

Paul Maholm has allowed two earned runs or fewer in four of his past five starts. The Braves could explore options to trade the veteran southpaw, who will be a free agent at the end of this season. But a National League scout said the indication is that this would only happen if the Braves received a significant return.

Mike Minor, who has established himself as one of the game's top starters over the past 11 months, will certainly not lose his rotation spot. Nor is there much reason to believe the Braves will mess with Julio Teheran, who has compiled a 2.13 ERA in his past eight starts.

I would put Beachy in the pen to slowly bring him back. He can do long relief, spot start, and set up. This will bring him back slowly just like they did Huddy, and Medlen when they came back. http://capitolavenueclub.com/?p=3018 Beachy was a RP in AA, then moved to the rotation.

After "slowly bringing him back" would you eventually put him in the starting rotation? And if so who would you take out of the rotation?

After "slowly bringing him back" would you eventually put him in the starting rotation? And if so who would you take out of the rotation?

Yes but I would try a 6 man, and have to watch Teheran very closely. His innings will be getting high, plus they all could use some extra time. I also believe things like this seems to work themselves out. I also would not rule out a trade. Wren may feel he can trade away possibly Maholm for a true bullpen arm or something else who knows.

If it were me? Julio Teheran would go to the bullpen to replace David Carpenter.

What will the Braves do? I have no idea.

Why would we put Julio in the pen? Because he had that one bad game last night? He's fine where he is right now.

Probably replace Maholm instead.

Why would we put Julio in the pen? Because he had that one bad game last night? He's fine where he is right now.

Probably replace Maholm instead.

Nothing to do with last night. I just think a 6-man rotation isn't a good idea in the long-term (short term OK with doubleheaders), and of the six starters he's shortest on seniority. Minor won't go because he's been the best, Beachy may be the best of the lot, and Meds, Huddy, Maholm, and Teheran have essentially performed about the same.

Like I said, it's what I would do, which is the topic of the thread. I doubt it's what the Braves will do.

Nothing to do with last night. I just think a 6-man rotation isn't a good idea in the long-term (short term OK with doubleheaders), and of the six starters he's shortest on seniority. Minor won't go because he's been the best, Beachy may be the best of the lot, and Meds, Huddy, Maholm, and Teheran have essentially performed about the same.

Like I said, it's what I would do, which is the topic of the thread. I doubt it's what the Braves will do.

Well Hudson and Medlen have been pitching excellently lately and Julio has been consistent. Maholm was usually consistent but he hasn't really pitched well lately.

As of now I think the best option is to keep Beachy in the bullpen and let him work his way into the starting rotation, if needed.

Frank Wren was on the Buster Olney podcast today. He talked about the Beachy decision a little bit, saying that they haven't made a decision yet but will choose whatever they think "will help the ballclub the most", using the decision to keep Gattis in the majors as an example. Reading between the lines, I'd say he's going to put either Teheran or Medlen in the bullpen, but that's just my interpretation.

Frank Wren was on the Buster Olney podcast today. He talked about the Beachy decision a little bit, saying that they haven't made a decision yet but will choose whatever they think "will help the ballclub the most", using the decision to keep Gattis in the majors as an example. Reading between the lines, I'd say he's going to put either Teheran or Medlen in the bullpen, but that's just my interpretation.

I really hope they don't do that to Medlen. He has earned his spot