Falcons Refining No Huddle Offense In Otas

Daniel Cox

Every team wants to play fast and players frequently relate playing fast on the field to playing well. To play fast, you have to practice fast, and that's what the Falcons are doing right now during OTAs.

The Falcons haven't been known as a heavy no-huddle offense under coordinator Dirk Koetter, but quarterback Matt Ryan has a proven track record of operating the no-huddle with success during his time in the NFL.

Koetter said earlier this week they're working on offense out of the no huddle during OTAs as they install the 2013 playbook.

"We're doing a ton of no-huddle right now just because it makes you play fast and it makes you communicate," Koetter said.

Using the no-huddle now in puts the onus on the players to be prepared at practice because out of the no-huddle Ryan is calling the plays at the line of scrimmage based on what he sees. Ryan is required to communicate on the fly what is happening and the other 10 players must know what is coming. Koetter said communication is key and the no huddle gets everyone up to speed quickly.

"I think it helps the players learn faster," Koetter said. "It's great for everybody. It's great for the quarterbacks to be able to go through their checks and everybody has to get the signals. It's just a smart way to work."

Ryan's mastery of the playbook has allowed him more freedom as his career has progressed to call his own plays during games. The Falcons worked in and out of the no-huddle frequently last year. Some games they operated the no-huddle as much as 27 percent of the time (Week 6) and during other games Ryan nixed the huddle only once, if at all.

What it shows is Atlanta's flexibility on offense but it also demonstrates its ability to mobilize quickly into the no-huddle and use it for quick points. When operating quickly in fast drives, the Falcons are dangerous.

Last season, the Falcons scored 56 points on drives lasting four plays or fewer. In Week 12, Ryan connected with Julio Jones for a one-play, 80-yard touchdown drive. The Falcons were tied for sixth in the NFL last season in points off of drives lasting four plays or less. Six of those top seven teams went on to the playoffs in 2012.

I was really dumbfounded on why we used it so little last year. I get that it was kind of a new system, with a new OC.The only time we could consistently move the ball in Mularkey's offense was when were in the no-huddle. It seems like that would've been a focus for Koetter since it was such a strength before he came, and since he was more or less building off the previous offense and adding his nuances. Matt might be the best no-huddle QB in the league save Peyton Manning. All in all though, Koetter's offense was much more effective, so we can't complain too much. It won't take much improvement to make it the best in the league. Adding Jackson might put us over the top.

Let's just cross our fingers that TD's OL gamble pays off.

Fantastic man, and now with Sjax we got yet another deadly weapon out of it to catch balls and wear defenses down ...no huddle is gonna be even more effective with Sjax, this O will shatter records in 2013 if the O line jells early ....

Fantastic man, and now with Sjax we got yet another deadly weapon out of it to catch balls and wear defenses down ...no huddle is gonna be even more effective with Sjax, this O will shatter records in 2013 if the O line jells early ....

Amen,

When I read that the first thing that popped into my mind is that makes Jackson that much more deadly.

He is the type of back that he gets better as the 4th quarter gets here.

If we can wear down teams in the first 3 quarters with the no huddle when we slow the pace and ground and pound the ground gains get a whole lot easier.

Amen,

When I read that the first thing that popped into my mind is that makes Jackson that much more deadly.

He is the type of back that he gets better as the 4th quarter gets here.

If we can wear down teams in the first 3 quarters with the no huddle when we slow the pace and ground and pound the ground gains get a whole lot easier.

Yep, and I think we will try and keep him pretty fresh for 3 quarters, in the 4th with a lead he becomes a bell cow, and we feast on play action ....

I was really dumbfounded on why we used it so little last year. I get that it was kind of a new system, with a new OC.The only time we could consistently move the ball in Mularkey's offense was when were in the no-huddle. It seems like that would've been a focus for Koetter since it was such a strength before he came, and since he was more or less building off the previous offense and adding his nuances. Matt might be the best no-huddle QB in the league save Peyton Manning. All in all though, Koetter's offense was much more effective, so we can't complain too much. It won't take much improvement to make it the best in the league. Adding Jackson might put us over the top.

Let's just cross our fingers that TD's OL gamble pays off.

That is it right there, he did not implement it much in Jax, he needed a season to figure out how to fully incorporate it in his scheme ...

That is it right there, he did not implement it much in Jax, he needed a season to figure out how to fully incorporate it in his scheme ...

Yeah, I kind of figured, it's not like Koetter had prolific QBs to work with. Still, I thought we'd see it more than we did.

you missed a good game.

Dont care, BS was rigged IMO .......way too many stoopid zebras deciding the outcomes of huge games....if you watch the Denver/Balt game you will see the cooking of the Brother Bowl conspiracy as the Donks got fked as much as we did ....it should have been an ATL/DEN Superbowl, but the NFL got what it wanted ....

Dont care, BS was rigged IMO .......way too many stoopid zebras deciding the outcomes of huge games....if you watch the Denver/Balt game you will see the cooking of the Brother Bowl conspiracy as the Donks got fked as much as we did ....it should have been an ATL/DEN Superbowl, but the NFL got what it wanted ....

how dud the falcons get hosed? You mean the nfl told the refs once we blow a 17 point lead make sure we lose? Or that the refs made ryan throw that int or fumble the ball? I know you aren't talking about the roddy and bowman play where roddy himself said it wasn't a penalty. And I don't think the refs told Moore to let Jones get behind him so that the ravens can win. Or tell john fox to not try and get in fg position with 2 timeouts , Peyton manning at qb and 30 seconds to go

how dud the falcons get hosed? You mean the nfl told the refs once we blow a 17 point lead make sure we lose? Or that the refs made ryan throw that int or fumble the ball? I know you aren't talking about the roddy and bowman play where roddy himself said it wasn't a penalty. And I don't think the refs told Moore to let Jones get behind him

LOL, maybe you missed the 2 bogus PFs that extended 2 key 3rd down stops for them ....but I dont care to argue with you about it, you aint changing my mind, so it dont matter...

those pass interferences didn't lose the game

I should have wrote PFs, sorry, i will fix it ...my point was, if they gonna be so flag happy on a BS finger graze ( you can not call that roughing the passer or going for the head ), and a BS retalitorty shove (from a guy that got shoved first, if anything that should have been offsetting ) then you have to be flag happy on Bowmann at the end of the game.

Those 2 bogus PFs DID change the outcome of the game, you dont throw those borderline BS flags in a game of THAT magnitude, and IF you do, it should go both ways ,,,

Then as I watch the DEN/BAL game, I see the same kind of flags going against the Donks ....not too hard to figure it out ....

I should have wrote PFs, sorry, i will fix it ...my point was, if they gonna be so flag happy on a BS finger graze ( you can not call that roughing the passer or going for the head ), and a BS retalitorty shove (from a guy that got shoved first, if anything that should have been offsetting ) then you have to be flag happy on Bowmann at the end of the game.

Those 2 bogus PFs DID change the outcome of the game, you dont throw those borderline BS flags in a game of THAT magnitude, and IF you do, it should go both ways ,,,

Then as I watch the DEN/BAL game, I see the same kind of flags going against the Donks ....not too hard to figure it out ....

and at the end of the day it was the falcons fault they was in that position. 17 point lead. And we still had a chance to win that game. And you have no point regarding the Broncos game. It took a miracle for the ravens to win.

and at the end of the day it was the falcons fault they was in that position. 17 point lead. And we still had a chance to win that game. And you have no point regarding the Broncos game. It took a miracle for the ravens to win.

You dont think the Broncs got hosed in that game, you did not watch it ....as for the 17 point lead, do you not realize those 2 bogus PFs on extended key 3rd down stops that resulted in points for them ? .....so if they dont throw the dammm flags, we never blow the lead ......you actually think the 2 PF flags were good calls, LOL ? .....huh.png

You dont think the Broncs got hosed in that game, you did not watch it ....as for the 17 point lead, do you not realize those 2 bogus PFs on extended key 3rd down stops that resulted in points for them ? .....so if they dont throw the dammm flags, we never blow the lead ......you actually think the 2 PF flags were good calls, LOL ? .....huh.png

those two penalties was horrible. No doubt. I was at miami when the refs gave I ohio state the national title with that bs pass interference. So I know they can cost you a game