The Stataholic: Matt Ryan Is Better Than You Think He Is

Read this earlier this morning. It's interesting.

In 2012, Ryan actually ranked fourth in the league at 74.5, ahead of some talented quarterbacks in Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees.

His passing EPA (Expected Points Added) was first in the entire league at 122.2, and his running EPA (which measures points added on the ground) was surprisingly 10th-best, just below Griffin III. What's next, a Matt Ryan option offense? (Please Dirk, don't do it).

And though it was Joe Flacco who walked home with the Lombardi Trophy in February, Ryan had the top Total QBR among all postseason quarterbacks with an 86.6 rating.

But let's dig deeper and look at DVOA, which for quarterbacks measures value per play, and DYAR (defense-adjusted yards above replacement), which measures total value above or below the average.

Ryan ranks fifth in DYAR at 1216, well ahead of guys like Flacco, Griffin and Roethlisberger. In terms of DVOA, he's still considered a top-10 signal-caller at 17.0% above average (seventh in the NFL).

Also of interest is the fact that Ryan's 5131 effective yards for 2012, which measures DVOA per play and converts it into a yardage total, implies that No. 2 played better than traditional stats such as passing yards (4502) would indicate.

Additionally, his WPA (Win Probability Added) ranked second in the league at 5.34, only behind Rodgers, and his success rate - measured in terms of positive plays per attempt rather than simply competion - also ranked second in the league at 55.4%.

The only lingering knock against Ryan's game at this point, which has been pointed out before, is his accuracy on deep throws: his 18.4% completion rate on all passes deeper than 15 yards last season ranked 26th among all qualifying quarterbacks last year.

ehh people try to break down numbers too much.

Just looking at him on the field from the way he carries him self to the way he performs to the way the team responds to him it is CLEAR he is one of the best qbs in the league. and anyone who says otherwise is a clear moron.

ehh people try to break down numbers too much.

Just looking at him on the field from the way he carries him self to the way he performs to the way the team responds to him it is CLEAR he is one of the best qbs in the league. and anyone who says otherwise is a clear moron.

I think so too. Stats have become insane. The breaking down of everything is a bit ridiculous. Some of it makes you wonder what the numbers are really even telling you they go so far.

I think so too. Stats have become insane. The breaking down of everything is a bit ridiculous. Some of it makes you wonder what the numbers are really even telling you they go so far.

It reminds me of the stat geeks in baseball........

" this guy has not had a good year but he is hitting .300 at home during night games against right handers with mustaches during the 5th inning!!"

It reminds me of the stat geeks in baseball........

" this guy has not had a good year but he is hitting .300 at home during night games against right handers with mustaches during the 5th inning!!"

Exactly. lol

Some of it just becomes redundant and only uber math geeks would ever really look at it with any seriousness.

Exactly. lol

Some of it just becomes redundant and only uber math geeks would ever really look at it with any seriousness.

Yup.

I mean I understand looking deeper into numbers than just on the surface because they do not always tell the story but at some point it is best to you know.... watch the game.

This has to be the best little snippet I found from the article. Just screams loser from head to toe. DO QBR ratings (real or unreal) come with Lombardi's?

"And though it was Joe Flacco who walked home with the Lombardi Trophy in February, Ryan had the top Total QBR among all postseason quarterbacks with an 86.6 rating."

This has to be the best little snippet I found from the article. Just screams loser from head to toe. DO QBR ratings (real or unreal) come with Lombardi's?

"And though it was Joe Flacco who walked home with the Lombardi Trophy in February, Ryan had the top Total QBR among all postseason quarterbacks with an 86.6 rating."

Screams math geek. That is all.

thats not the point. the article is saying that Matt Ryan was the top performer at the QB position in last years playoffs. our defense lost us the game vs. SF, not Matt. Your reading comprehension skills are lacking