Predicting Every Nfl Team's Potential Scapegoat For 2013

25. Atlanta Falcons: Mike Smith, Head Coach

hi-res-7069638_crop_650.jpg?1370515302

Mike Smith must win in the playoffs.

Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports

After earning his first playoff win in his fourth attempt, head coach Mike Smith will be expected to finish the job and take the Atlanta Falcons to the Super Bowl. It is not an unreasonable expectation given the level of talent Smith has assembled.

On offense, quarterback Matt Ryan leads the league's best passing game. And adding the great Steven Jackson to the mix this offseason was a stroke of genius.

Defensively, although coordinator Mike Nolan is overrated, the Falcons do possess some real playmakers. Safety William Moore and pass-rusher Osi Umenyiora should both make significant contributions.

If the Falcons don't improve their playoff record, Smith will be the first target for blame. He will become a scapegoat and will be deemed a good coach for the regular season, but a lousy leader for the playoffs.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1663685-predicting-every-nfl-teams-potential-scapegoat-for-2013/page/26

I do think Smitty could get a Schottenheimer rep if he doesn't break through, but yeah, the Nolan comment was stupid. Nolan had a mediocre D playing well, we dominated some elite QBs, we just struggled with the mobile pistol/read option kids, except RGIII.

I do think Smitty could get a Schottenheimer rep if he doesn't break through, but yeah, the Nolan comment was stupid. Nolan had a mediocre D playing well, we dominated some elite QBs, we just struggled with the mobile pistol/read option kids, except RGIII.

We actually struggled with RGIII too until we knocked him out of the game.

Yea the Falcons have weapons and we are all hyped for a Super Bowl run, but **** I don't think there is enough talent to act like they are the 80's Niners, the 90's Cowboys. **** a team might not be ever able to assemble that much talent again with runaway free agency. Birds have huge question marks on the OL and Defensive front 7. The talent on offense puts them in the mix, but a Super Bowl failure shouldn't just fall on Smitty's shoulders, everybody has to take their bite. Here's hoping they get it this year and shut everybody up.

Exactly. Nolan's D turned our play against the Giants from 24-2 to 34-0.

I heard that from fans(rivals/others) after the 2010 loss to GB. So did BVG...pts/g-total "D"(2010).

Can't say I disagree with much in there.

It is true that when teams fail, the coach catches the blame most of the time.

Mike Nolan is a little overrated around here. He has helped the defense a lot, but he isn't going to work miracles. We need more pieces.