Nfl Champ Skips Wh Visit Because Obama Said ‘God Bless’ Planned Parenthood

Some will probably trash him for this decision\protest. It's easy for me to applaud his decision and willingness to stand by his convictions since I agree with him 100%. Birk better be sure and dot all his i's and cross all his t's on his tax return this year. An IRS visit could be in his future.

Retired Baltimore Ravens center Matt Birk, who won a Super Bowl with the team last year, skipped the team’s visit to the White House due to President Obama’s support for Planned Parenthood.

“I have great respect for the office of the presidency but about five or six weeks ago, our president made a comment in a speech and he said, ‘God bless Planned Parenthood,’” Birk, a former Minnesota Viking, told a local Minnesota sports blog. “I’m very confused by [Obama's] statement,” he explained. “”For God to bless a place where they’re ending 330,000 lives a year? I just chose not to attend.”

Kirk said he’s a pro-life Roman Catholic. “Planned Parenthood performs about 330,000 abortions a year,” he said. “I couldn’t endorse that in any way.”

Obama spoke at the national Planned Parenthood conference this year.

“As long as we’ve got to fight to make sure women have access to quality, affordable health care, and as long as we’ve got to fight to protect a woman’s right to make her own choices about her own health, I want you to know that you’ve also got a president who’s going to be right there with you, fighting every step of the way,” he said. “Thank you, Planned Parenthood. God bless you. God bless America.”

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some will probably trash him for this decision\protest. It's easy for me to applaud his decision and willingness to stand by his convictions since I agree with him 100%. Birk better be sure and dot all his i's and cross all his t's on his tax return this year. An IRS visit could be in his future.

Retired Baltimore Ravens center Matt Birk, who won a Super Bowl with the team last year, skipped the team’s visit to the White House due to President Obama’s support for Planned Parenthood.

“I have great respect for the office of the presidency but about five or six weeks ago, our president made a comment in a speech and he said, ‘God bless Planned Parenthood,’” Birk, a former Minnesota Viking, told a local Minnesota sports blog. “I’m very confused by [Obama's] statement,” he explained. “”For God to bless a place where they’re ending 330,000 lives a year? I just chose not to attend.”

Kirk said he’s a pro-life Roman Catholic. “Planned Parenthood performs about 330,000 abortions a year,” he said. “I couldn’t endorse that in any way.”

Obama spoke at the national Planned Parenthood conference this year.

“As long as we’ve got to fight to make sure women have access to quality, affordable health care, and as long as we’ve got to fight to protect a woman’s right to make her own choices about her own health, I want you to know that you’ve also got a president who’s going to be right there with you, fighting every step of the way,” he said. “Thank you, Planned Parenthood. God bless you. God bless America.”

Uhh . . . why?

I don't agree with his views but I respect him for not going b/c he feels that strongly about the subject matter. Shouldn't be a surprise as he was outspoken on a few other issues. I don't see the issue.

Me either. The country is suppose to be built on people with different beliefs and views coming together yet the second someones views don't meet the masses the majority makes a huge deal out of it

Well, I don't agree with his opinion but like has been said before good for him. He stood by his convictions, instead of going against them just to conform. Plus I like any player who says what he actually thinks, instead of just responding the way he's trained to respond. Good for him, stick it to the NFL speech Nazis.

Kind of funny he wants to cite his catholic faith on this, but ignores catholic teachings which would call his own life choices(like playing football) into question.

Fair weather Catholic me thinks.

How does the Catholic faith call playing football into question? The only thing I can think of is the anti-pride nonsense it preaches, is that what you were referring to?..........................................................In my opinion though, it's better to just pick and choose what views of a religion you like, rather than feeling you have to believe everything it says. That way your path is more geared towards you.

How does the Catholic faith call playing football into question? The only thing I can think of is the anti-pride nonsense it preaches, is that what you were referring to?..........................................................In my opinion though, it's better to just pick and choose what views of a religion you like, rather than feeling you have to believe everything it says. That way your path is more geared towards you.

Its link to brain damage means it inflicts "very grave damage on human health and life"

This site uses drugs to explain the Catholics church problem with such practices

"According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, “The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense."

http://www.catholicenquiry.com/life-and-death/what-about-drugs-tobacco-and-alcohol.html