• print.png
    g-plus.png
    fb-like.png
    share-button.png
  • By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The League Editor
  • Published: June 6, 2013 at 08:30 p.m.
  • Updated: June 6, 2013 at 10:25 p.m.

Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant made an enormous leap statistically during the 2012 season. It was rewarded with an equally huge bump in respect from his NFL colleagues.

Bryant was revealed Thursday night as the No. 35 player on NFL Network's "Top 100 Players of 2013." That comes only one season after Bryant didn't make the list at all. My first instinct was that we could be crowning Bryant too soon. And then I looked at the other wide receivers below him such as Roddy White, Wes Welker, Vincent Jackson and Victor Cruz; I have no problem placing Bryant ahead of them.

Dez (he's a one-name guy now, right?) broke out last year because he physically dominated opponents. As Around The League's Chris Wesseling mentioned, guys such as New Orleans Saints cornerback Patrick Robinson are probably still having nightmares about Bryant. The bigger question: How great can Dez be?

Dez Bryant's ceiling

It's scary that Bryant is so high on this list, and yet it feels like he's just scratching the surface of his potential. Still just 24, Bryant put up 1,382 receiving yards and 12 touchdowns despite having a long way to go on the finer points of the position. Bryant dropped 11 passes according to Pro Football Focus, tied for seventh worst in the NFL.

Bryant often appears to run the wrong route. It's common to see quarterback Tony Romo frustrated because Bryant isn't on the same page. But Bryant still dominated.

After a string of off-the-field problems, it appears Bryant has matured emotionally. No one has ever questioned his work ethic or desire to be great -- his competitiveness is off the charts.

"I'm trying to learn each and every day," Bryant said on the "NFL Top 100 Reaction Show."

"I know I got a long way to go. I'm still trying to strive to be the best, and one of these day I'll get there."

The mental side of the game should come in time, like it does for a lot of wide receivers. If that happens, Bryant has a real chance to compete with A.J. Green and Julio Jones as the best young receivers in football. Or the best receiver in the NFL, period. There is no ceiling.

The Cowboys were patient with Bryant, and he's rewarded them with steady progress. The next step should be a lot of fun to watch.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could compete with AJ or Julio....did either of them have better years than Dez?

AJ Green - 97 1350 11

Dez Bryant - 92 1382 12

Julio Jones - 79 1198 10

Looks like Dez is doing just fine competing with them now. rolleyes.gif

Could compete with AJ or Julio....did either of them have better years than Dez?

AJ Green - 97 1350 11

Dez Bryant - 92 1382 12

Julio Jones - 79 1198 10

Looks like Dez is doing just fine competing with them now. rolleyes.gif

I took that as competition as a whole person not just a player.

Edit... I read it again and that statement was wrong by the author.

Outperforming? Oh great, another insecure statboy. No thanks.

"No thanks"= what 32 gm's would say to Dez if they had to choose between the three.

I think its funny that so many people seem to know what all 32 GMs would do at any given time.

In all honesty, I think if Dez wasnt a Cowboy hed get a lot more respect for his talent.

Tell me why Dez would be taken 3rd out of those 3.

Cowboys hype is about the only thing that seems to be limitless. laugh.png

Yeah, Dez sucks and only gets talked about because he is a Cowboy.

So, if it is all hype, and Dez isnt as talented as people say, then what does that say about your top 3 receivers that none of which had a better season than Dez?

2010 - 72 Targets 45 Catches 561 Yards 12.5 YPC 6 TDs 8 20+ 208 YAC 27 1st

2011 - 103 Targets 63 Catches 928 Yards 14.7 YPC 9 TDs 17 20+ 305 YAC 48 1st

2012 - 138 Targets 92 Catches 1382 Yards 15 YPC 12 TDs 19 20+ 463 YAC 54 1st

Dez has improved every year since entering the NFL. To imagine he has reached his peak would to be blind.

Yeah, Dez sucks and only gets talked about because he is a Cowboy.

So, if it is all hype, and Dez isnt as talented as people say, then what does that say about your top 3 receivers that none of which had a better season than Dez?

Dez maybe had a slightly better Regular season but not Season.

Roddy White: 18 Games: 104 Catches 1527 yds 8 Tds

Julio Jones: 18 Games: 96 Catches 1439 Yds 12 Tds

Tony Gonzalez: 18 Games: 107 Catches 1059 Yds 10 Tds

Dez Bryant: 16 Games: 92 catches 1382 yds 12 Tds

Dez maybe had a slightly better Regular season but not Season.

Roddy White: 18 Games: 104 Catches 1527 yds 8 Tds

Julio Jones: 18 Games: 96 Catches 1439 Yds 12 Tds

Tony Gonzalez: 18 Games: 107 Catches 1059 Yds 10 Tds

Dez Bryant: 16 Games: 92 catches 1382 yds 12 Tds

laugh.png Go play with someone else little boy. Doctoring the numbers dont change facts.

Maybe you should add in Preseason games too...really help out their cause. :lol:

With those 2 extra games, they had a better season wink.png

Wow, you homers never learn.

If it took them 18 games to have a better season than someone that played 16 then they were not as efficient as the one that played fewer games. Therefore, no, they did not have the better season.

If Car A can get me to work in one tank of gas, but Car B needs to be refilled halfway there, that does not mean that Car B has the better gas mileage. Both got me there, but one needed more fuel. It is the less efficient one.

Wow, you homers never learn.

If it took them 18 games to have a better season than someone that played 16 then they were not as efficient as the one that played fewer games. Therefore, no, they did not have the better season.

If Car A can get me to work in one tank of gas, but Car B needs to be refilled halfway there, that does not mean that Car B has the better gas mileage. Both got me there, but one needed more fuel.

Dez's car didn't make it as many miles. Can't help it the cowboys didn't refill.