Drafting Julio - And Comparing Him To Past Wr Drafted

Tandy

Over and over, I keep seeing the draft trade of 2011 - and our pick - Julio Jones compared to unrelated drafts, WR who were picked prior to our GM and HC even being in place and criticized in every way possible.

Who is he being compared to?

Dez Bryant - drafted in 2010. We were not drafting a WR in 2010. We were looking at defense. We switched modes in 2011 and wanted to add explosiveness. Dez Bryant, for the record, was not available in the 2011 draft.

Demaryius Thomas - also drafted in 2010. See Dez Bryant above. To my knowledge - he wasn't there in 2011 either.

Calvin Johnson - drafted in 2007. Geez, guys! I don't think he was available to pick in 2011 either.

I'm surprised you aren't comparing him to Jerry Rice. It's like saying Buffalo should have taken Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin instead of E.J. Manuel as the first QB taken in 2013. Well, hello - they weren't there to pick either.

Comparing Julio to WR in years before the draft he was taken is not a valid comparison. In 2011, after Julio Jones - you had Jonathan Baldwin - taken 26th and no other WR in the 1st round. You want to compare their numbers over the first 2 years? Here are the numbers and keep in mind, in the 3rd game of the season last year - Julio ripped the webbing between his fingers - and was bearing 8 or 9 stitches for a while - and this definitely affected his production - it was his right hand. I watched him clutching that hand over and over in at least 4 games after that - he was in great pain - but he played.

============================================================================================

Julio Jones

1st year - 13 games, 54 receptions, 959 yards, 8 TD, 497 yards after catch

2nd year - 16 games, 79 receptions, 1198 yards, 10 TD, 425 yards after catch

Total - 29 games, 133 receptions, 2157 yards, 18 TD, 922 yards after catch

============================================================================================

Jon Baldwin

1st year - 11 games, 21 receptions, 254 yards, 1 TD, 39 yards after the catch

2nd year - 15 games, 20 receptions, 325 yards, 1 TD, 117 yards after the catch

Total - 26 games, 41 receptions, 579 yards, 2 TD, 156 yards after catch

Julio's numbers compared to Baldwin - +3 games, +92 receptions, +1578 yards, +16 TD, +766 yards after the catch

I can see how it would have made sense to wait and grab Baldwin.

===========================================================================================

Here are the stats for the 1st 2 years production of all the guys being mentioned from totally unrelated drafts - just for reference. I'm taking their 1st 2 years because Julio has 2 years.

Dez Bryant

1st year - 12 games, 45 receptions, 561 yards, 6 TD, 211 yards after the catch

2nd year - 15 games, 63 receptions, 928 yards, 9 TD, 313 yards after the catch

Total - 27 games, 108 receptions, 1489 yards, 15 TD, 524 yards after catch

Julio's numbers compared to Bryant: +2 games, +25 receptions, +668 yards, +3 TD, +398 yards after the catch

===========================================================================================

Demaryius Thomas

1st year - 10 games, 22 receptions, 283 yards, 2 TD, 143 yards after the catch

2nd year - 11 games, 32 receptions, 551 yards, 4 TD, 128 yards after the catch

Total - 21 games, 54 receptions, 734 yards, 6 TD, 271 yards after catch

Julio's numbers compared to Thomas: +8 games, +79 receptions, +1423 yards, +12 TD, +651 yards after the catch

Calvin Johnson

1st year - 15 games, 48 receptions, 756 yards, 4 TD, 172 yards after the catch

2nd year - 16 games, 78 receptions, 1331 yards, 12 TD, 511 yards after the catch

Total - 31 games, 126 receptions, 2087 yards, 16 TD, 683 yards after catch

Julio's numbers compared to Johnson: -2 games, +7 receptions, +70 yards, +2 TD, +239 yards after the catch

For the ridiculousness of it - comparing him to the G.O.A.T.

Jerry Rice

1st year - 16 games, 49 receptions, 927 yards, 3 TD

2nd year - 16 games, 86 receptions, 1570 yards, 15 TD

Total - 32 games, 135 receptions, 2497 yards, 18 TD, 683

Julio's numbers compared to Rice: -3 games, -2 receptions, -340 yards, 0 TD

Regardless of what you may think about prior drafts or the choices of our GM - they didn't just make the move on a whim. Many of our fans are extremely grateful. Players like Julio do NOT come along every year - and they are not available when you are picking in the late 20's of the draft.

I for one am extremely happy to have a player of his caliber on our team - learning from Roddy and Tony - and preparing to take this league by the storm.

Maybe we would have used those draft picks on players who contributed, maybe not. There are no guarantees, we know that. One thing we know for sure - the 2011 draft is in the past. You are not going to go back and get your picks back. But, barring injury - Julio will continue learning and growing and getting better. He will be contributing for many years as a Falcon.

Makes me happy!

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Julio Jones cost:

2011: 1/2/4

2012: 1/4

Here is one scenario for comparison:

In 2011 the Ravens drafted:

1) Jimmy Smith

2) Torrey Smith

4) Tandon Doss

In 2012 the Ravens drafted:

1) traded for picks 35 and 98, which were used to draft Courtney Upshaw and Gino Gradkowski

4) Christian Thompson

A lot of these guys have yet to get a shot (namely Tandon Doss, Gino Gradkowski and Christian Thompson). Doss and Gradkowski are currently battling for starting roles because of the exit of Boldin ( WR ) and Birk ( C ). I will be the first to admit that not all of these picks have turned out to be major contributors to this point. But it is still too early to judge when a few of them were sitting on the bench behind veterans.

Courtney Upshaw generally played well as a rookie (big play in the SB), and despite Jimmy Smith's regular season injury issues, he has made some very big plays for the Ravens in the playoffs (INT in NE in 2012 playoffs, big hits during goal line stand in SB). Torrey Smith has been the standout, and has produced the following in his first 2 seasons:

32 games, 99 receptions, 1696 yards, 15 TD...compared to....

29 games, 133 receptions, 2157 yards, 18 TD (Julio Jones)

If you extrapolate Torrey Smith's average yards/reception (17.1) and TD rate (15%) to match Julio's 133 receptions, Torrey Smith would actually have better numbers in his first 2 years than Julio, and they would be:

133 receptions, 2277 yards, 20 TD...but that is speculation.

In the real world Torrey Smith up to this point has contributed 79% of Julio's yardage and 83% of his TDs with 34 less receptions...but with a full slate of draft picks the Ravens also have players such as Upshaw and Jimmy Smith and other guys that could be potential starting contributors this year.

So the question is: was the 21% more yards and 17% more TDs from Julio worth players such as Courtney Upshaw, Jimmy Smith, etc.? Obviously the Falcons probably would have drafted different guys, but I hope you can see how the extra 4 players can contribute.

Furthermore, by trading up, that means the Falcons had to pay Julio more $$.

Julio looks to become a great WR, I just think he was too expensive.

Edited by bt12483

Julio Jones cost:

1) Jimmy Smith

2) Torrey Smith

4) Tandon Doss

1) traded for picks 35 and 98, which were used to draft Courtney Upshaw and Gino Gradkowski

4) Christian Thompson

A lot of these guys have yet to get a shot (namely Tandon Doss, Gino Gradkowski and Christian Thompson). Doss and Gradkowski are currently battling for starting roles because of the exit of Boldin ( WR ) and Birk ( C ). I will be the first to admit that not all of these picks have turned out to be major contributors to this point. But it is still too early to judge when a few of them were sitting on the bench behind veterans.

Courtney Upshaw generally played well as a rookie (big play in the SB), and despite Jimmy Smith's regular season injury issues, he has made some very big plays for the Ravens in the playoffs (INT in NE in 2012 playoffs, big hits during goal line stand in SB). Torrey Smith has been the standout, and has produced the following in his first 2 seasons:

If you extrapolate Torrey Smith's average yards/reception (17.1) and TD rate (15%) to match Julio's 133 receptions, Torrey Smith would actually have better numbers in his first 2 years than Julio, and they would be:

In the real world Torrey Smith up to this point has contributed 79% of Julio's yardage and 83% of his TDs with 34 less receptions...but with a full slate of draft picks the Ravens also have players such as Upshaw and Jimmy Smith and other guys that could be potential starting contributors this year.

So the question is: was the 21% more yards and 17% more TDs from Julio worth players such as Courtney Upshaw, Jimmy Smith, etc.? Obviously the Falcons probably would have drafted different guys, but I hope you can see how the extra 4 players can contribute.

Two things here:

1. We're comparing what the Ravens did w/ their picks. The Ravens FO have proven themselves to be one if not the best team at finding and developing talent. Since TD has been here in 2008, he's made some great picks, but he's made some bad ones as well. Had we kept our five picks, there's no telling how they would've panned out. TD did come out and say, had we stayed put, he was targeting Gabe Carimi, who's been a bust so far in Chicago.

2. TD also said one of the big reasons for the trade up was b/c of the amount of talented depth we have on the roster. Even if the later picks would been decent picks, they still would've struggled to get on the field.

I was totally against the trade up at the time b/c I was worried Julio wouldn't be a legitimate superstar. He's completely exceeded expectations, and one could make an argument he's the best WR not named Calvin Johnson.

Only trolls and idiots are still harping on the trade. To every sane objective person the trade has turned out to be a great move and JJ is already considered a top 5 WR.

No reason to even defend the trade any more all it does is result in circular arguments by the usual troll brigade.

Edited by MAD597

Can't recall anybody questioning the ability or performance of Julio Jones. What remains in question is the logic of paying that much for a non premium position, especially when you consider that pass receiving, with Roddy and Gonzo, was already a strength.

You can't make a hypothetical comparison between Jones and Baldwin because Baldwin only cost 1 pick. Throw Baldwin and 4 other drafted players into the mix and you see why people question the decision to add another elite WR.

Also, if you're convinced the team needed help at WR, the draft wasn't the only way to go. A 27st overall draft pick could have fetched a solid pro in return and still left the team with 4 picks to upgrade the defense.

It's not about the player Tandy, it's about the trade. We simply were not a good enough a team to make that kind of luxury pick.

Can't recall anybody questioning the ability or performance of Julio Jones. What remains in question is the logic of paying that much for a non premium position, especially when you consider that pass receiving, with Roddy and Gonzo, was already a strength.

You can't make a hypothetical comparison between Jones and Baldwin because Baldwin only cost 1 pick. Throw Baldwin and 4 other drafted players into the mix and you see why people question the decision to add another elite WR.

Also, if you're convinced the team needed help at WR, the draft wasn't the only way to go. A 21st overall draft pick could have fetched a solid pro in return and still left the team with 4 picks to upgrade the defense.

It's not about the player Tandy, it's about the trade. We simply were not a good enough a team to make that kind of luxury pick.

The players the Browns got for the Julio trade all blow .....? is, would you rather have a Hall of Fame talent, or a couple extra " guys " that are a dime a dozen ? .....rolleyes.gif

Julio Jones cost:

1) Jimmy Smith

2) Torrey Smith

4) Tandon Doss

4) Christian Thompson

k

Also, if you're convinced the team needed help at WR, the draft wasn't the only way to go. A 21st overall draft pick could have fetched a solid pro in return and still left the team with 4 picks to upgrade the defense.

k

Uhhh, WTF? The Julio was one of the best trades in recent history, easily. Baldwin is average at best and the rest of the picks would of been depth at best. We now have a receiver who has the highest ceiling in the NFL. I would do that trade again in a heartbeat...

Over and over, I keep seeing the draft trade of 2011 - and our pick - Julio Jones compared to unrelated drafts, WR who were picked prior to our GM and HC even being in place and criticized in every way possible.

Who is he being compared to?

Dez Bryant - drafted in 2010. We were not drafting a WR in 2010. We were looking at defense. We switched modes in 2011 and wanted to add explosiveness. Dez Bryant, for the record, was not available in the 2011 draft.

Demaryius Thomas - also drafted in 2010. See Dez Bryant above. To my knowledge - he wasn't there in 2011 either.

Calvin Johnson - drafted in 2007. Geez, guys! I don't think he was available to pick in 2011 either.

I'm surprised you aren't comparing him to Jerry Rice. It's like saying Buffalo should have taken Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin instead of E.J. Manuel as the first QB taken in 2013. Well, hello - they weren't there to pick either.

Comparing Julio to WR in years before the draft he was taken is not a valid comparison. In 2011, after Julio Jones - you had Jonathan Baldwin - taken 26th and no other WR in the 1st round. You want to compare their numbers over the first 2 years? Here are the numbers and keep in mind, in the 3rd game of the season last year - Julio ripped the webbing between his fingers - and was bearing 8 or 9 stitches for a while - and this definitely affected his production - it was his right hand. I watched him clutching that hand over and over in at least 4 games after that - he was in great pain - but he played.

Julio Jones

1st year - 13 games, 54 receptions, 959 yards, 8 TD, 497 yards after catch

2nd year - 16 games, 79 receptions, 1198 yards, 10 TD, 425 yards after catch

Total - 29 games, 133 receptions, 2157 yards, 18 TD, 922 yards after catch

Jon Baldwin

1st year - 11 games, 21 receptions, 254 yards, 1 TD, 39 yards after the catch

2nd year - 15 games, 20 receptions, 325 yards, 1 TD, 117 yards after the catch

Total - 26 games, 41 receptions, 579 yards, 2 TD, 156 yards after catch

Julio's numbers compared to Baldwin - +3 games, +92 receptions, +1578 yards, +16 TD, +766 yards after the catch

I can see how it would have made sense to wait and grab Baldwin.

Here are the stats for the 1st 2 years production of all the guys being mentioned from totally unrelated drafts - just for reference. I'm taking their 1st 2 years because Julio has 2 years.

Dez Bryant

1st year - 12 games, 45 receptions, 561 yards, 6 TD, 211 yards after the catch

2nd year - 15 games, 63 receptions, 928 yards, 9 TD, 313 yards after the catch

Total - 27 games, 108 receptions, 1489 yards, 15 TD, 524 yards after catch

Julio's numbers compared to Bryant: +2 games, +25 receptions, +668 yards, +3 TD, +398 yards after the catch

Demaryius Thomas

1st year - 10 games, 22 receptions, 283 yards, 2 TD, 143 yards after the catch

2nd year - 11 games, 32 receptions, 551 yards, 4 TD, 128 yards after the catch

Total - 21 games, 54 receptions, 734 yards, 6 TD, 271 yards after catch

Julio's numbers compared to Thomas: +8 games, +79 receptions, +1423 yards, +12 TD, +651 yards after the catch

Calvin Johnson

1st year - 15 games, 48 receptions, 756 yards, 4 TD, 172 yards after the catch

2nd year - 16 games, 78 receptions, 1331 yards, 12 TD, 511 yards after the catch

Total - 31 games, 126 receptions, 2087 yards, 16 TD, 683 yards after catch

Julio's numbers compared to Johnson: -2 games, +7 receptions, +70 yards, +2 TD, +239 yards after the catch

For the ridiculousness of it - comparing him to the G.O.A.T.

Jerry Rice

1st year - 16 games, 49 receptions, 927 yards, 3 TD

2nd year - 16 games, 86 receptions, 1570 yards, 15 TD

Total - 32 games, 135 receptions, 2497 yards, 18 TD, 683

Julio's numbers compared to Rice: -3 games, -2 receptions, -340 yards, 0 TD

Regardless of what you may think about prior drafts or the choices of our GM - they didn't just make the move on a whim. Many of our fans are extremely grateful. Players like Julio do NOT come along every year - and they are not available when you are picking in the late 20's of the draft.

I for one am extremely happy to have a player of his caliber on our team - learning from Roddy and Tony - and preparing to take this league by the storm.

Maybe we would have used those draft picks on players who contributed, maybe not. There are no guarantees, we know that. One thing we know for sure - the 2011 draft is in the past. You are not going to go back and get your picks back. But, barring injury - Julio will continue learning and growing and getting better. He will be contributing for many years as a Falcon.

Makes me happy!

Julio haters are gonna need a lot of ice for this burn

He's completely exceeded expectations, and one could make an argument he's the best WR not named Calvin Johnson.
JJ is already considered a top 5 WR.

I think you guys overrate Jones. Don't get me wrong he has a bright future.

But he is nowhere close to Calvin at this point. Calvin his entire career has been pretty much the only guy on the DET team. He had no one to take attention away from him. Likewise look at the year Brandon Marshall had last year. He was in a similar situation as Calvin - the only true WR threat. And he put up terrific numbers. Same goes for AJ Green. He has no one to take attention away from him and still puts up numbers. Vincent Jackson had a heck of a year in TB with Mike Williams opposite of him. There are a lot of good WRs in the league. As it stand Julio was 11th in yards and 7th in TDs. Neither of those are top 5.

Jones is in an effective offensive scheme. I have little doubt that other well-known WRs could put up similar numbers across from Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez. That is why I am not too enamored with his production thus far. I don't see how he has offset the enormous cost to acquire him at this point.

Edited by bt12483

Torrey Smith has been the standout, and has produced the following in his first 2 seasons:

Don't extrapolate the numbers. Those numbers don't exist. He didn't have the receptions that Julio did.

Extrapolating numbers is fools gold and a poor way to try to prove a point .

The players the Browns got for the Julio trade all blow .....? is, would you rather have a Hall of Fame talent, or a couple extra " guys " that are a dime a dozen ? .....rolleyes.gif

The Browns messed up their picks, like they always seem to do. If you can't trust TD to make those 5 picks with some degree of effectiveness, how can you trust his judgment making that trade?

Do you have any idea why we even made it as far as we did last season?

Because we had dual-threat, top in the league receivers. Look at our playoff games before 2012 and Julio's breakout. 24-2 anyone? TD knew we'd have Roddy for at least 4 more years (in 2010-2011), TG for a couple more, and we needed a monster at WR to give Matt Ryan the tools to shape an over the top offense. That is what the Falcons are built on.

Julio was the best deal TD has struck yet.

I think you guys overrate Jones. Don't get me wrong he has a bright future.

But he is nowhere close to Calvin at this point. Calvin his entire career has been pretty much the only guy on the DET team. He had no one to take attention away from him. Likewise look at the year Brandon Marshall had last year. He was in a similar situation as Calvin - the only true WR threat. And he put up terrific numbers. Same goes for AJ Green. He has no one to take attention away from him and still puts up numbers. Vincent Jackson had a heck of a year in TB with Mike Williams opposite of him. There are a lot of good WRs in the league.

Jones is in an effective offensive scheme. I have little doubt that other well-known WRs could put up similar numbers across from Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez. That is why I am not too enamored with his production thus far. I don't see how he has offset the enormous cost to acquire him at this point.

You are so full of chit, the fact that JJ had the #s he did opposite RW and TG blow your dumb thesis out of the water ......

Uhhh, WTF? The Julio was one of the best trades in recent history, easily. Baldwin is average at best and the rest of the picks would of been depth at best. We now have a receiver who has the highest ceiling in the NFL. I would do that trade again in a heartbeat...

Taking JJ Watt or Aldon Smith would have been a better trade. DE is a premium position. Neither option would be better than keeping those picks.

Don't bother it's just all circular arguments that mean nothing. No amount of complaining by the usual suspects will remove JJ from the team or get those draft picks back. Completely pointless to even bother.

The great thing however is to be excited to have one of the NFL's best WR's on the team and he will be with our top 5 QB for at least a decade.

13-3 teams like we had in 2010 rarely get a chance to pick up a talent like JJ, we are lucky to have a GM with enough balls to pull off that trade. and since then we are pretty much the go to team on draft day, teams know they can fairly negotiate with us and that give us a lot of leverage in the draft.

Because we had dual-threat, top in the league receivers. Look at our playoff games before 2012 and Julio's breakout. 24-2 anyone? TD knew we'd have Roddy for at least 4 more years (in 2010-2011), TG for a couple more, and we needed a monster at WR to give Matt Ryan the tools to shape an over the top offense. That is what the Falcons are built on.

Do you have any idea why we got stopped? Our offense, with all that talent, got shutout in the 2nd half. The defense, after having the pass rush neglected, yet again, didn't have the horses to play anything, but a shootout.

I think JJ's performance in the 49er game shows that JJ has bust on any defense even in the pressure of the playoffs. Pretty rare to have his talent combined with his humility and work ethic.

Don't extrapolate the numbers. Those numbers don't exist. He didn't have the receptions that Julio did.

Extrapolating numbers is fools gold and a poor way to try to prove a point .

OK.

The Falcons paid the cost of 4 draft picks for 20% more production (when comparing to Torrey Smith).

Most people wouldn't call that a deal.

I think JJ's performance in the 49er game shows that JJ has bust on any defense even in the pressure of the playoffs.

What about his other 2 playoff games?

7/64

6/59

0 TDs

He was part of a team that scored ZERO points in NY in the playoffs. 1 great game erases 2 mediocre games? An overall playoff record of 1-2 with Julio?