Murray Vs. Mccarron Debate

LMNOP

There has been a lot of debate on this recently and I just wanted to know what you guys think about it. If you ask me its not even much of a question honestly its Murray, with all bias aside I just don't see how you can possibly think McCarron is better then Aaron Murray. Yes McCarron has two National Championships, but he also had Richardson/Yeldon/Lacy, the best O-Line in the country the past 2 years and two of the best defenses in recent memory these past two years. IMO he is honestly just a really, really good game manager. Murray is a better leader, has a better arm, and is more athletic and puts up much better numbers yardage and TD wise. IDK what do you guys think?

I'm sure most Aabama fans would take McCarron and most Georgia fans would take Murray. McCarron's performance on the biggest stage in the last two National Championship Games is what I really like about him. When the chips are down, he is at his best (see the throw to Amari Cooper in the SEC Championship Game). Murray is certainly a great QB in his own right but, to me, he does not have the big game pedigree that McCarron has put together -- point to the defense or the running game or whatever but McCarron has had an awful lot to do with Alabama's success the last two years.

I'm sure most Aabama fans would take McCarron and most Georgia fans would take Murray. McCarron's performance on the biggest stage in the last two National Championship Games is what I really like about him. When the chips are down, he is at his best (see the throw to Amari Cooper in the SEC Championship Game). Murray is certainly a great QB in his own right but, to me, he does not have the big game pedigree that McCarron has put together -- point to the defense or the running game or whatever but McCarron has had an awful lot to do with Alabama's success the last two years.

I'm sorry but I really don't see what's so great about a throw where a QB felt no pass rush and had single coverage with no over the top safety help because the line was stacked to stop the run. To me that just shows how good he's had it. I'd expect 10 out of 10 QB's to make that throw. Call me when he hits a skinny post over a linebacker and between the CB and safety with a blitzer draped all over him. THAT'S a tough throw.

I'm sorry but I really don't see what's so great about a throw where a QB felt no pass rush and had single coverage with no over the top safety help because the line was stacked to stop the run. To me that just shows how good he's had it. I'd expect 10 out of 10 QB's to make that throw. Call me when he hits a skinny post over a linebacker and between the CB and safety with a blitzer draped all over him. THAT'S a tough throw.

So you penalize a guy because he has good players around him? McCarron has done everything asked of him and more. 30 TDs last season to 3 interceptions -- that is hard to do playing against the scout team much less the best conference in college football. As I said, I would expect Georgia fans to go Murray here -- I'm sure they would go Gurley over Yeldon too and yet, somehow in the same breath, discredit AJ for having the better support in the running game.

There has been a lot of debate on this recently and I just wanted to know what you guys think about it. If you ask me its not even much of a question honestly its Murray, with all bias aside I just don't see how you can possibly think McCarron is better then Aaron Murray. Yes McCarron has two National Championships, but he also had Richardson/Yeldon/Lacy, the best O-Line in the country the past 2 years and two of the best defenses in recent memory these past two years. IMO he is honestly just a really, really good game manager. Murray is a better leader, has a better arm, and is more athletic and puts up much better numbers yardage and TD wise. IDK what do you guys think?

Better leader? What do you base that on?

to me it was very telling that with Bama down 10 points in the SEC chp game they went with what was the best bet, the run game.

Alabama goes with what the opposition has trouble defending -- against Georgia, it was the run. Against LSU in the National Championship Game last year, it was the pass. Also, a great deal of our success in the running game is due to McCarron's ability to throw the ball downfield -- they know if the secondary cheats up to help, AJ can go over the top (see the pass to Cooper in the SEC Championship Game).

So you penalize a guy because he has good players around him? McCarron has done everything asked of him and more. 30 TDs last season to 3 interceptions -- that is hard to do playing against the scout team much less the best conference in college football. As I said, I would expect Georgia fans to go Murray here -- I'm sure they would go Gurley over Yeldon too and yet, somehow in the same breath, discredit AJ for having the better support in the running game.

Yes because it hides deficiencies. I don't think he's a bad QB. He does what he's asked. His job is just a lot easier than the other QB's we've been talking about because he has the line and running game that protects him from things other QBs have to face. I think you could plug a number of guys in McCarrons spot and they'd do rather well just because of the supporting cast.

Because he is a DGD. 'Nuff said.

I get it and I don't begrudge him that, but McCarron led his team to two BCS Championships and an SEC championship. It wasn't just the D, or just the line, or just the running game. Dude made a ton of plays. One can debate arm strength, stats and all that jazz but to include leadership? That's effing laughable.

I get it and I don't begrudge him that, but McCarron led his team to two BCS Championships and an SEC championship. It wasn't just the D, or just the line, or just the running game. Dude made a ton of plays. One can debate arm strength, stats and all that jazz but to include leadership? That's effing laughable.

Agreed. The next championship game that Murray wins will be his first. McCarron gets better as the moment gets bigger -- for the most part, Murray has been just the opposite.

Believe what you want, Ill believe what I want to, from what I here about the two players from teammates and coaches I believe Aaron Murray is known more for his leadership than McCarron is, my opinion. No doubt McCarron is a good QB, I just don't think he is as good as Murray and I think it'll show this year with a seemingly depleted Alabama O-Line, but only time will tell.

Agreed. The next championship game that Murray wins will be his first. McCarron gets better as the moment gets bigger -- for the most part, Murray has been just the opposite.

Not to be a **** or anything but from what I remember Murray outplayed McCarron in the SEC Championship game and if not for a tipped pass would have won the game for Georgia in under a minute with seemingly impossible odds stacked against him. Regardless McCarron did throw the finishing blow.

McCarron's big throws last year were a screen pass at LSU (Yes he did a great two minute drive, but most passes were check downs) and a go route with no safety in the middle of the field in the SECCG. McCarron is a great college QB. He does what he is asked. He reminds me of David Greene (McCarron is a better prospect athletically by far). Do your job, don't mess it up, get the ball in the hands of play makers, manage the offense. He's very good at what he does.

Murray is a little different. Before Gurley and Marshall showed up, the offense WAS Aaron Murray. Now he's got some help and you saw in the SECCG that he can be a big time QB when the lights come on. Now, I'm not saying Murray is better, because ultimately a QB is defined by his wins and championships, and we all know what McCarron has done.

If you switched Murray and McCarron I think the outcomes would probably be the exact same. Murray would win at Bama and McCarron would be very effective at UGA.

Big games last year:

Murray vs USC, UF, and Bama

41/88 2 TD's 5 INT's 46% completion

McCarron vs LSU, A&M, and UGA

48/82 3 TD's 3 INT's 58% completion

** Yes the national championship game was a big game... But those were the three best defenses McCarron faced all year. Notre Dame was not up to par with the SEC schedule.

So neither one of the QB's were really spectacular in big games last year.

Edited by BeachDawg21

Can't take anything away from McCarron except his stupid tattoo. The guy is clutch, he just plays better the bigger the moment gets it seems. Murray has battled that label his entire time at UGA, though I think his performance against a very good Bama secondary was big and I'm very hopeful to see it carry over to this year. In terms of raw physical talent, Murray probably gets the nod. Leadership easily a push imo. They both seem to have a good head for the playbook.

I really can't put either over the other. It's a 1a, 1b type thing imo. Both have their strengths and weaknesses but they both fit their offenses to a t, which is a great credit on the coaching staffs if you ask me. Bama probably could have won without him in 2010... though he was (and has been) big against LSU. In 2011 they aren't in Atlanta without him, though. UGA might be a 3 or 4 loss team at best without Murray, even though our o line and skill players are very good. Our QB depth is nothing... Hutson Mason may fill in nicely if needed, but he's no Murray.

As a Dawg, I wouldn't take anyone in college football over Aaron Murray. I expect Bama fans to say the same with McCarron. They are both great.

Not to be a **** or anything but from what I remember Murray outplayed McCarron in the SEC Championship game and if not for a tipped pass would have won the game for Georgia in under a minute with seemingly impossible odds stacked against him. Regardless McCarron did throw the finishing blow.

Murray played a fine game -- it could probably be argued that the pick before the half turned the momentum. There is no questioning Murray has a good skill set but picks at inopportune times seems to have defined his career in big games thus far. That could very easily change this year -- Murray played very well down the stretch against Alabama, which has to be a positive sign.

McCarron's big throws last year were a screen pass at LSU (Yes he did a great two minute drive, but most passes were check downs) and a go route with no safety in the middle of the field in the SECCG. McCarron is a great college QB. He does what he is asked. He reminds me of David Greene (McCarron is a better prospect athletically by far). Do your job, don't mess it up, get the ball in the hands of play makers, manage the offense. He's very good at what he does.

Murray is a little different. Before Gurley and Marshall showed up, the offense WAS Aaron Murray. Now he's got some help and you saw in the SECCG that he can be a big time QB when the lights come on. Now, I'm not saying Murray is better, because ultimately a QB is defined by his wins and championships, and we all know what McCarron has done.

If you switched Murray and McCarron I think the outcomes would probably be the exact same. Murray would win at Bama and McCarron would be very effective at UGA.

Big games last year:

Murray vs USC, UF, and Bama

41/88 2 TD's 5 INT's 46% completion

McCarron vs LSU, A&M, and UGA

48/82 3 TD's 3 INT's 58% completion

** Yes the national championship game was a big game... But those were the three best defenses McCarron faced all year. Notre Dame was not up to par with the SEC schedule.

So neither one of the QB's were really spectacular in big games last year.

I don't disagree with anything you said.

Can't take anything away from McCarron except his stupid tattoo. The guy is clutch, he just plays better the bigger the moment gets it seems. Murray has battled that label his entire time at UGA, though I think his performance against a very good Bama secondary was big and I'm very hopeful to see it carry over to this year. In terms of raw physical talent, Murray probably gets the nod. Leadership easily a push imo. They both seem to have a good head for the playbook.

I really can't put either over the other. It's a 1a, 1b type thing imo. Both have their strengths and weaknesses but they both fit their offenses to a t, which is a great credit on the coaching staffs if you ask me. Bama probably could have won without him in 2010... though he was (and has been) big against LSU. In 2011 they aren't in Atlanta without him, though. UGA might be a 3 or 4 loss team at best without Murray, even though our o line and skill players are very good. Our QB depth is nothing... Hutson Mason may fill in nicely if needed, but he's no Murray.

As a Dawg, I wouldn't take anyone in college football over Aaron Murray. I expect Bama fans to say the same with McCarron. They are both great.

Again, I agree with everything here too. It is a little bit of the Julio/AJ debate. About any team in college football would love to have these guys leading their teams.

Yes because it hides deficiencies. I don't think he's a bad QB. He does what he's asked. His job is just a lot easier than the other QB's we've been talking about because he has the line and running game that protects him from things other QBs have to face. I think you could plug a number of guys in McCarrons spot and they'd do rather well just because of the supporting cast.

aj does what he is asked to in that offense, but that offense is all about running the ball and that great offensive line. aj has does a great job, but what issues he has have been hidden because of how dominate they have been in other areas. no one has a better oline last year and you have two guys like yeldon and lacy and using that play action to go to cooper that's a match made in heaven for aj. you talk to any alabama fan who knows nick saban's offense and his system they appreciate aj for what he does in that system, but with aaron murray a lot more is asked of him in our offense.

first off his offensive line hasn't been close to what alabama has nor was his running game until this past year on a level of alabama. aaron murray has been our offense and it's all been on his shoulders til this past season, but even then our offensive line had issues protecting him. aaron murray has multiple plays he can change to at the line of scrimmage and he is basically running the offense. if anyone knows uga's offense they understand why guys like stafford are so prepared for the nfl and it's due to what is being asked of them while in athens. as a UGA fan there is no way i would trade Aaron for aj because Aaron has shown he can handle what is asked to from our offensive staff. not every qb is capable of doing that which isn't a slight to aj because he is a perfect for what nick saban wants his qbs to do in their offense.

I'm not going to say McCarron isn't a talented qb, but that Cooper pass in the SECCG should be doable for ANY SEC QB, our guy just got burned. From a pure ability standpoint, I give the edge to Murray, but McCarron will and should be in consideration for the All-SEC spot.