Latest On Seymour Per Nfl.com

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1661517-why-richard-seymour-to-atlanta-falcons-makes-perfect-sense

Richard Seymour, Atlanta Falcons no closer to contract

Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

+Follow on Twitter

The Atlanta Falcons have shown interest in free-agent pass rusher Richard Seymour, but they aren't in any great rush to sign him.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport cited a source in reporting Monday that "nothing at this point" has been worked out between the Falcons and Seymour. There was a sense that talks might ramp up after June 1 because of a bump in salary-cap space for the Falcons.

The Falcons' $1.8 million in salary-cap room jumped up to $6.3 million on Saturday after Tyson Clabo's salary came off the books. The right tackle signed a free-agent contract with the Miami Dolphins last month.

Rapoport reported last week that the Falcons have expressed more interest in the 33-year-old Seymour than any other team. As we noted in a previous post, Seymour's adopted son, DeVondre, has committed to play for the University of Georgia, and the former New England Patriots defender is close with Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff.

Dimitroff told PFT Live on Monday: "Richard is a fine football player. I know him well from his days in New England. He's a guy right now that there is a lot of discussion about him coming here, but there is nothing new to report on him. That's something that we are just continuing to keep our eye on like many other people in this league."

Translation: The holdup is money. Seymour -- who's open to retirement -- won't return for peanuts.

Even with the addition of Osi Umenyiora at defensive end, the Falcons can use more pass-rushing help. Seymour is another player on the wrong side of 30, but the Falcons clearly are interested in adding veterans with playoff experience, and we wouldn't be surprised to see this deal go down sooner rather than later.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

Old article pimp.

As a matter of fact I used this EXACT same article about 3 days ago to shjt on a Saints fan in another forum saying he proved to me that the Falcons didnt have over $6 mill in cap space because he posted 2 month old article of our cap hit.

Edited by Yep281986

Old article pimp.

As a matter of fact I used this EXACT same article about 3 days ago to shjt on a Saints fan in another forum saying he proved to me that the Falcons didnt have over $6 mill in cap space because he posted 2 month old article of our cap hit.

I posted this same article 3 years ago.

Falcons finish ots's before a vet free agency sigining

Yea. We probably wanna see where we are in terms of talent and such. I figure they'll also want to get the rookie deals done first, then try to sign Ryan before they make any other moves. That 6.3 will be very different before we probably even contact Seymour's people.

It says June 4th and its already old? Wow maybe I'm old

Yes, it is old. The date is irrelevent. The poster is stating information that is incorrect. The Falcons salary cap room improved. So yes, it is old information.

You will always find fans from other sites misquoting and misusing articles to throw it back in our faces. He was obviously using old info and didn't research our transasctions to know we had additional monies due to the Claybo situation.

http://m.bleacherrep...s-perfect-sense

Richard Seymour, Atlanta Falcons no closer to contract

Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

+Follow on Twitter

The Atlanta Falcons have shown interest in free-agent pass rusher Richard Seymour, but they aren't in any great rush to sign him.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport cited a source in reporting Monday that "nothing at this point" has been worked out between the Falcons and Seymour. There was a sense that talks might ramp up after June 1 because of a bump in salary-cap space for the Falcons.

The Falcons' $1.8 million in salary-cap room jumped up to $6.3 million on Saturday after Tyson Clabo's salary came off the books. The right tackle signed a free-agent contract with the Miami Dolphins last month.

Rapoport reported last week that the Falcons have expressed more interest in the 33-year-old Seymour than any other team. As we noted in a previous post, Seymour's adopted son, DeVondre, has committed to play for the University of Georgia, and the former New England Patriots defender is close with Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff.

Dimitroff told PFT Live on Monday: "Richard is a fine football player. I know him well from his days in New England. He's a guy right now that there is a lot of discussion about him coming here, but there is nothing new to report on him. That's something that we are just continuing to keep our eye on like many other people in this league."

Translation: The holdup is money. Seymour -- who's open to retirement -- won't return for peanuts.

Even with the addition of Osi Umenyiora at defensive end, the Falcons can use more pass-rushing help. Seymour is another player on the wrong side of 30, but the Falcons clearly are interested in adding veterans with playoff experience, and we wouldn't be surprised to see this deal go down sooner rather than later.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

older than the crust on my underwear and the last time I read this I fell off my dinosaur.

I don't think it is going to happen--it would have been done June 1st if TD wanted him that bad

Special Alert to all those TATF'ers who were hoping ~ or worried ~ that Seymour was coming to the Falcons. Ain't going to happen. Please relax and go back to living your normal off-season lives.

I don't think it is going to happen--it would have been done June 1st if TD wanted him that bad

Or, Falcons and Seymour have talked, agreed upon a price, and Seymour is just waiting to see if any DTs get injured in TC and if some GM panics and will give him more money.

He might also just be avoiding OTAs and a few days of TC. He's old, he's got a pretty good idea what he needs to do, why not sit out training camp?

Or, Falcons and Seymour have talked, agreed upon a price, and Seymour is just waiting to see if any DTs get injured in TC and if some GM panics and will give him more money.

He might also just be avoiding OTAs and a few days of TC. He's old, he's got a pretty good idea what he needs to do, why not sit out training camp?

I thought there was about 80% chance Falcons would sign Seymour - still think it will happen - but, not as confident as I was ("after june 1st, mark it down" - LOL).

I have maintained that the rookies would be signed first (for some reason(????) Trufant/Alford/Renfree still not signed) and Matt would get his new deal first. Neither of those things have happened yet so - if Falcons were going to sign Seymour - the time has not passed yet.

Ultimately, it will come down to money. Falcons have shown an interest in Seymour so - if the money is right - he would likely be a Falcon.