Osi Fits Perfect With Falcons!

Trouble

As the Falcons attempt to assemble a defense that can both build a lead and hold it, they’ve swapped out John Abraham for Osi Umenyiora.

So far, so good.

Osi fit in right away,” defensive tackle Jonathan Babineaux said recently, via the Albany Herald. “He has an outgoing personality. You can talk to him about just about anything. As each day goes by, I think he’s getting more and more comfortable.”

Umenyiora has been lining up on both sides of the line for the Falcons.

“It’s been

,” Umenyiora said. “The whole team has welcomed me with open arms. It’s just been a wonderful feeling coming out there with these guys. It’s a great football team.”

Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan hints that Umenyiora gives them something from an intangible standpoint that Abraham didn’t.

“John Abraham was a **** of a player, and Osi has kind of come in to fill that role,” Nolan said. “But every player is different and to say who’s better or not, some of it has to do with how that person fits in with the guys around him. Sometimes it’s a little better chemistry-wise.”

Umenyiora’s formula for now includes humility.

“For me, I have to start all over again and show them exactly what I’m capable of,” Umenyiora said.

“Nobody cares what I did for the New York Giants. It’s what can I do for the Atlanta Falcons, and they expect big things from me. I expect even bigger things from myself.”

Falcons fans expect even bigger things from the team this year. After five straight winning seasons, they think the time has come for the Falcons to finally win a Super Bowl.

It would be Nice to see :)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be nice but I think its a sideways move at best and probably a slightly backwards move IMO.

oSI ha a LOT of help in NY he won't have here.

Except Nolan is just Crazy. He could line everyone at the line and you never know who is gonna drop back vs blitz. Drove manning nuts last season.

I'VE GOT TO WAIT AND SEE ON THIS GUY. I'M KIND OF GUN-SHY ABOUT FREE-AGENTS. WE'VE BEEN BURNED MANY TIMES WITH THE FREE-AGENTS LOOKING FOR ONE MORE BIG PAYDAY. NO PLAY .... JUST PAYDAY. ABRAHAM TURNED OUT OK, MAYBE THIS GUY WILL TOO. I GOT TO SEE IT.

I'VE GOT TO WAIT AND SEE ON THIS GUY. I'M KIND OF GUN-SHY ABOUT FREE-AGENTS. WE'VE BEEN BURNED MANY TIMES WITH THE FREE-AGENTS LOOKING FOR ONE MORE BIG PAYDAY. NO PLAY .... JUST PAYDAY. ABRAHAM TURNED OUT OK, MAYBE THIS GUY WILL TOO. I GOT TO SEE IT.

No You don't! Just ask Shred, he's headed to the Hall of Fame...right behind Steven Jackson!wink.png

osi for Abe was a lateral move. I don't see the swap as any kind of missing link to greatness.

I do, however, like the trade off SJax for Turner, Trufant for Dunta, and Alford for Injured Grimes and Healthy Owens... so I believe according to those moves, we got (fairly significantly) better...

osi for Abe was a lateral move. I don't see the swap as any kind of missing link to greatness.

I do, however, like the trade off SJax for Turner, Trufant for Dunta, and Alford for Injured Grimes and Healthy Owens... so I believe according to those moves, we got (fairly significantly) better...

I can see Jackson as an upgrade. I'm not sure about counting two rookie corners as instant upgrades. Longterm, maybe, but Dunta and Owens played that poorly?

well Seymore is also coming in , more than likely

Osi + RS will for sure Balance the scale from the loss of abe...

as far as Osi

his leadership has already surpassed Abes IMO

he is leading by Example

First D Guy in

last D Guy to leave

pretty clear to me he is very happy with Falcons, and Falcons Respect and Appreciate Him....

A Motivated Osi is a Good thing for Falcons D Line

Trust Me...

It would be nice but I think its a sideways move at best and probably a slightly backwards move IMO.

oSI ha a LOT of help in NY he won't have here.

That's something I believe most Falcon fans seem to be over looking. Where is the Jason Pierre-Paul lining up on the Falcons line? The G-men have one of the best defensive lines in the league. Good enough, that they felt little need to re-sign Osi.

I would also like to add Konz taking over for the Mud-Duck. I love me some McClure, but dude was getting abused late last season. I also think Holmes will be a pleasant surprise at RT.

as far as Osi

he is leading by Example

First D Guy in

last D Guy to leave

pretty clear to me he is very happy with Falcons, and Falcons Respect and Appreciate Him....

Trust Me...

Trust You? Got any Hall Of Fame predictions for Osi & Seymour? Well of course, Seymour won't be eligible unless he signs with the Falcons, RIGHT?laugh.pnglaugh.png

No You don't! Just ask Shred, he's headed to the Hall of Fame...right behind Steven Jackson!wink.png

FREE AGENTS HAVE ME GUN-SHY. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE REALLY GETTING. YOU KNOW WHAT THEY WERE .... BUT WHAT ARE THEY NOW. SOME WILL STILL BE GOOD, AND SOME ARE OUT FOR THE PAYDAY. I'LL WAIT AND SEE.

FREE AGENTS HAVE ME GUN-SHY. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE REALLY GETTING. YOU KNOW WHAT THEY WERE .... BUT WHAT ARE THEY NOW. SOME WILL STILL BE GOOD, AND SOME ARE OUT FOR THE PAYDAY. I'LL WAIT AND SEE.

yea well thats clearly not the case for Osi or SJax

both took alot less than what they could have got elsewhere

S Jax Voided an 11 mil yr with rams to take 2 mil with Falcons

I would not worry about either of those guys sitting back , both will outplay their deals in 2013 barring Injury....

Except Nolan is just Crazy. He could line everyone at the line and you never know who is gonna drop back vs blitz. Drove manning nuts last season.

True a scheme can help. I just remember how everyone got so hyped on Ray Edwards and it soon became clear he just looked good with a lot of greatness around him in ball'mor.

And Osi was crying every other week about something in NY.

I hope he works out, but he's gonna have to show me.

Take a look at what Turner did when you all got him as a FA in 2008, or what Steven Jackson brought to us last season. Of course those are offensive skill players and not lineman. I see what you mean about lineman though, it's a harder nut to crack.

Take a look at what Turner did when you all got him as a FA in 2008, or what Steven Jackson brought to us last season. Of course those are offensive skill players and not lineman. I see what you mean about lineman though, it's a harder nut to crack.

I Think you mean Vincent Jackson bro lol

as far as Osi

he is leading by Example

First D Guy in

last D Guy to leave

Trust Me...

Abe wasn't a loss. Abe was a cut and if it is, as you said, that RS and osi will balance the scale from that loss, it is a completely moronic move to bring in two to replace one.

Talk about Abes leadership now if you want,, but he was our best defensive player for a good while and that is leading by doing to people who care to notice.

I bet Abe was an elite hofer right up until he was cut, right?

I think this is EXACTLY the description of Richard Seymour, sadly. I hope we pass.I think Osi may have at least a few fumes in his tank, but richard is rusted in a field at this point.