Falcons, Seymour Poised To Strike Deal? Anyone Have Espn Insider?

http://insider.espn....rs/post?id=7316

I'm sure this is just more of the same on the Richard Seymour rumors, but this is an article that was on the front page of ESPN.com this morning, so I'm curious to see if it has any actually news about the rumors. If anyone has ESPN Insider and would like to give a summary of the article it would be appreciated.

And before anyone says it, I realize that the idea of ESPN reporting actually news is laughable, I'm just curious

Edited by Trufant Island

I got it:

Falcons, Seymour poised to strike deal?

By Tim Kavanagh | Jun 3, 2013 8:52 AM

The Atlanta Falcons' possible pursuit of free agent DL Richard Seymour has been a wild ride over the past few weeks, as initial reports indicated that they were interested, but later reports made it seem that things were at a standstill. The most recent buzz was that the Falcons were waiting for the June 1 cuts to come off their books -- including the money they'll save since cutting Tyson Clabo -- and would make a move thereafter. Well, it's June 3, and Seymour is not an Atlanta Falcon, so what's the latest?

During a recent appearance on Pro Football Talk Live, Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff addressed the situation. "Richard is a fine football player," Dimitroff opined. "I know him well from his days in New England. He's a guy right now that there is a lot of discussion about him coming here, but there is nothing new to report on him.

"Again, that's something that we are just continuing to keep our eye on like many other people in this league. We'll continue to look at the free agents that are out there. We're getting to the point where we are wrapping up our roster very soon, so again, there is nothing new to report on Richard. He's a fine football player and I still believe that he can play."

ESPN NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas checked in with his take on whether something will get done between the two sides:

Pat Yasinskas

Seymour to Falcons?

"The reality is that the Falcons are interested and Seymour is interested, but the team isn't going to pay big money to an aging defensive lineman. It doesn't sound as if there are many teams making strong runs at Seymour. I'm thinking the Falcons gladly will sign him if his asking price is reasonable. Seymour still has a little left in the tank and the Falcons could use a little more explosiveness in the middle of their defensive line."

I got it:

The Atlanta Falcons' possible pursuit of free agent DL Richard Seymour has been a wild ride over the past few weeks, as initial reports indicated that they were interested, but later reports made it seem that things were at a standstill. The most recent buzz was that the Falcons were waiting for the June 1 cuts to come off their books -- including the money they'll save since cutting Tyson Clabo -- and would make a move thereafter. Well, it's June 3, and Seymour is not an Atlanta Falcon, so what's the latest?

During a recent appearance on Pro Football Talk Live, Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff addressed the situation. "Richard is a fine football player," Dimitroff opined. "I know him well from his days in New England. He's a guy right now that there is a lot of discussion about him coming here, but there is nothing new to report on him.

"Again, that's something that we are just continuing to keep our eye on like many other people in this league. We'll continue to look at the free agents that are out there. We're getting to the point where we are wrapping up our roster very soon, so again, there is nothing new to report on Richard. He's a fine football player and I still believe that he can play."

ESPN NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas checked in with his take on whether something will get done between the two sides:

Pat Yasinskas

Seymour to Falcons?

"The reality is that the Falcons are interested and Seymour is interested, but the team isn't going to pay big money to an aging defensive lineman. It doesn't sound as if there are many teams making strong runs at Seymour. I'm thinking the Falcons gladly will sign him if his asking price is reasonable. Seymour still has a little left in the tank and the Falcons could use a little more explosiveness in the middle of their defensive line."

yep.....i just deleted after saw you posted......nothing new here.

I got it:

Pat Yasinskas

Seymour to Falcons?

Ok, so nothing new. I figured it would be something like that. Thanks. Personally, I think he will eventually end up in a Falcons uniform, its just gonna take some time. He would be a really nice addition to our D-Line

If Seymour doesn't sign with Falcons, it will be epic melt down on the board especially folks who have been posting Seymour to falcons right after june 1st.

i still think it will happen. I said after June 1st - of course I thought Matt's deal would have been done by now as well. My guess in priority of what is left to do is as follows:

1. Sign remaining Rooks (Alford/Trufant)
  2. Ink Matt to long-term deal
  3. Try to hammer out deal w/ Richard Seymour

Two more shoes have to drop first. Does not look like the market is very hot for Seymour anyway so Falcons can cruise on this unless some other NFL team jumps in.

Falcons, Richard Seymour in a holding pattern

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports talks between the Falcons and free agent DT Richard Seymour are in a holding pattern.

GM Thomas Dimitroff has acknowledged the Falcons are keeping in touch with the former Raider and Patriot, but Rapoport reports the talks have led to "nothing at this point." It's almost certainly because Seymour's price isn't right. The Falcons have $6.3 million in cap space, and Seymour would expect to procure a good chunk of it.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports talks between the Falcons and free agent DT Richard Seymour are in a holding pattern.

GM Thomas Dimitroff has acknowledged the Falcons are keeping in touch with the former Raider and Patriot, but Rapoport reports the talks have led to "nothing at this point." It's almost certainly because Seymour's price isn't right. The Falcons have $6.3 million in cap space, and Seymour would expect to procure a good chunk of it.

I believe the Falcons will offer Seymour something in the neighborhood of $5.5million per year. If Seymour wants North of $7 million per season it won't happen.

Guest Masbinacci

i still think it will happen. I said after June 1st - of course I thought Matt's deal would have been done by now as well. My guess in priority of what is left to do is as follows:

1. Sign remaining Rooks (Alford/Trufant)
  2. Ink Matt to long-term deal
  3. Try to hammer out deal w/ Richard Seymour

Two more shoes have to drop first. Does not look like the market is very hot for Seymour anyway so Falcons can cruise on this unless some other NFL team jumps in.

I do not want to hear your wife getting on here saying you jumped off the building.

Guest Masbinacci

last time we were in a hold, it took two weeks. (looking at you Osi)

Guest Masbinacci

This guy is getting 12 million this year in dead raiders cap money right?

And still wants 5 or 7 million?

very unlikely he wants that amount. I bet he gets done at 4.

Related: Falcons

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter Jun 3 - 11:01 AM

Guest Masbinacci

Related: Falcons

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter Jun 3 - 11:01 AM

last time it was in a holding pattern it took two weeks.....looking at you, Osi.

This guy is getting 12 million this year in dead raiders cap money right?

And still wants 5 or 7 million?

No, that 12 million ($13 million actually) in dead money is from signing bonuses and roster bonuses that he's received in the last 2 years. It's dead money for the Raiders this year, but he's not getting any more money from them. It's just dead money for the bonuses he received in 2011/2012, not this year.

That being said, if he wants to play here, I think he might be more reasonable, being that the Raiders just paid him big money for the last 2 1/2 seasons. But I don't think he'll play for peanuts. He 'd probably rather retire than risk his body for next to nothing,

Guest Masbinacci

No, that 12 million ($13 million actually) in dead money is from signing bonuses and roster bonuses that he's received in the last 2 years. It's dead money for the Raiders this year, but he's not getting any more money from them. It's just dead money for the bonuses he received in 2011/2012, not this year.

That being said, if he wants to play here, I think he might be more reasonable, being that the Raiders just paid him big money for the last 2 1/2 seasons. But I don't think he'll play for peanuts. He 'd probably rather retire than risk his body for next to nothing,

he would have to receive some of that.

Asomugha did. and they voided him as well.(or so I thought.... prove me right or wrong please :D )

he would have to receive some of that.

Asomugha did. and they voided him as well.(or so I thought.... prove me right or wrong please biggrin.png )

Asomugha had guaranteed money for this season, so they had to pay him that. The only guaranteed money in Seymour's contract was his 2011 salary. His contract had a lot of signing/roster bonuses, which created the large amount of dead money when he was cut.