Umenyiora Fitting In With Falcons

Umenyiora fitting in with Falcons

Posted by Mike Florio on June 2, 2013, 10:34 PM EDT

350x-21.jpg?w=250 AP

As the Falcons attempt to assemble a defense that can both build a lead and hold it, they’ve swapped out John Abraham for Osi Umenyiora.

So far, so good.

Osi fit in right away,” defensive tackle Jonathan Babineaux said recently, via the Albany Herald. “He has an outgoing personality. You can talk to him about just about anything. As each day goes by, I think he’s getting more and more comfortable.”

Umenyiora has been lining up on both sides of the line for the Falcons.

“It’s been

,” Umenyiora said. “The whole team has welcomed me with open arms. It’s just been a wonderful feeling coming out there with these guys. It’s a great football team.”

Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan hints that Umenyiora gives them something from an intangible standpoint that Abraham didn’t.

“John Abraham was a **** of a player, and Osi has kind of come in to fill that role,” Nolan said. “But every player is different and to say who’s better or not, some of it has to do with how that person fits in with the guys around him. Sometimes it’s a little better chemistry-wise.”

Umenyiora’s formula for now includes humility.

“For me, I have to start all over again and show them exactly what I’m capable of,” Umenyiora said. “Nobody cares what I did for the New York Giants. It’s what can I do for the Atlanta Falcons, and they expect big things from me. I expect even bigger things from myself.”

Falcons fans expect even bigger things from the team this year. After five straight winning seasons, they think the time has come for the Falcons to finally win a Super Bowl.

Is Nolan implying Abraham didn't fit in as well as Osi? I love.Abe but I can see that. He seems real reserved and there were times when guys would go to celebrate with him and he just kind if did his own thing (eye point). He's still my second favorite Falcon of all time and I have no doubts about his love of the team and city.

Is Nolan implying Abraham didn't fit in as well as Osi? I love.Abe but I can see that. He seems real reserved and there were times when guys would go to celebrate with him and he just kind if did his own thing (eye point). He's still my second favorite Falcon of all time and I have no doubts about his love of the team and city.

I think Nolan is implying that Osi doesn't have any "personal baggage" and I'll leave that right there...lol

Abe was and is one of my favorties. that being said, a few years ago in an interview someone asked him about his relationships with the rookies. he said something along the lines of 'there are guys who you know are gonna make it and be around but, the others I don't really worry about' .. he said it a little more pc then that but, it made me wonder where the line was for him. Does that mean he didn't really take an intrest in guys like Sid or just the UDFAs?

In contrast the comments Tuck had about Osi make me think he'll get everyone on the dline going and charged up.

Edited by The O.D.B

Interesting article. I'm a huge Abe fan, but could this be one of the reasons Abe wasn't asked to come back? Because he hasn't been mentoring the youth? As productive as he's been, you know how intangibles are to TD.

Mike Peterson was here way past his prime but served the purpose of getting Spoon where he is. Another reason why Tony was a top priority.

Nolans comments confirm my believe that Abe was cut for the same reason Mike Smith didn´t want Brooking/Milloy back. After one year a new coach knows which players he wants to continue to work with. The last thing you want is a declining veteran to freelance or even question your decisions/plays.

Edited by Herr Beast

Guest King Jigsaw

Yeah, but if he can put pressure on QB and force TO or sacks, he is worth the money.

What does Terrell Owens have to do with Osi?

I like what Osi brings, but we don't need to assume things about Abe. Abe probably wasn't the best leader but he was the only guy getting double digit sacks almost every year.

To be honest, most of his sacks came against the worst LTs in the game, in garbage time or on hail mary plays.

To be honest, most of his sacks came against the worst LTs in the game, in garbage time or on hail mary plays.

Abe put plenty pressure in the later games, may be not sacks. I agree the NFCG was not one of his best games but its stupid to put down Abe. And similarly, its equally stupid to put down Osi. Both these guys have have great respect for each other and look interchangeable at this time.

Read this article this morning. It's good, positive insight. To me, it's reassuring to know Osi is committed and brings that professional business attitude. Just like Gonzo, it can only be good for our football team. There is a stark difference between this signing and that of Ray Edwards.

Now lets get Seymour in the house...