Armchair Gm Time... Clabo Vs. Cap $

Clabo money is coming off Cap...

Seymour and maybe another experienced FA possible...

TD says the young OL guns need to step up...

Would you still cut Clabo looking back?

Would you feel the same way if Ryan gets sacked 3 times thru Clabo's spot versus the Rams?

I like the Clabo cut personally... But I worry about an OL that got neglected in the draft and free agency...

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Get Matty locked in so we don't pull a Baltimore, sign all our guys to nice long contracts, sign Seymour to a 2-yr incentive-based deal, and let's go get a Lombardi.

My call for OLine btw:

Baker/Blalock/Konz/Johnson/Holmes with GR and (?) swinging around, possibly Schraeder or Jones (UDFAs)

Edited by EchoedTruth

There appears to be an evolution at the RT position going on in the league where teams are looking for what you'd typically look for in an LT to play the position since defenses have started getting speed rushers at LDE/LOLB to take on the slower traditional RTs. It's why the Chiefs and Jags went BPA by getting Fisher and Joeckel even though they didn't really "need" an LT and are having them play RT while also looking to re-sign their current LTs long term. Dimitroff picked up Holmes both as a plan B in case they couldn't re-sign Baker and to replace Clabo if they did re-sign Baker.

Clabo is gone for a reason, what ever it is, I am sure the coaching staff wouldn't have done it if there was a possibility of Ryan suffering an Injury. O h wait! he already got hurt twice because of Clabo. TD had a choice to let go Baker and have Holmes play at LT, but he chose to let go Clabo. We will know when the preseason comes, if it was a bad move or not.

Teams lose Vets every year... My thing is we dont make this move unless the Coaching Staff is comfortable with the young guys.... Its not the same as losing a guy in FA because you dont have the funds to sign him.... You release this guy

I wanna see what our Young guys can do so as of now... Its no big deal to me.. We do need to see them in action before you can feel 100% tho...

I cant lie.. The more i think about next years FA class.... Unless we can get Seymour for 2 mil... ill rather carry the cap over and be able to sign a Carlos Dunlap if the young DE's dont step up or sign a Lamarr Houston.

Our top 3 DT's will be FA after this year.....

There appears to be an evolution at the RT position going on in the league where teams are looking for what you'd typically look for in an LT to play the position since defenses have started getting speed rushers at LDE/LOLB to take on the slower traditional RTs. It's why the Chiefs and Jags went BPA by getting Fisher and Joeckel even though they didn't really "need" an LT and are having them play RT while also looking to re-sign their current LTs long term. Dimitroff picked up Holmes both as a plan B in case they couldn't re-sign Baker and to replace Clabo if they did re-sign Baker.

Agree with all the hybrid and speed rushers it's almost a necessity

I wouldn't have done it. Clabo was the best run blocker on the team and didn't give up one sack after week three. Ryan has never missed a game due to Clabo. By the way yall keep saying Holmes is the RT. That mofo was on the bench in OTAs. Johnson was running with the first team. I believe the Oline will struggle in the run and pass game this year.

I wouldn't have done it. Clabo was the best run blocker on the team and didn't give up one sack after week three. Ryan has never missed a game due to Clabo. By the way yall keep saying Holmes is the RT. That mofo was on the bench in OTAs. Johnson was running with the first team. I believe the Oline will struggle in the run and pass game this year.

youre as predictable as mm.

I'd do it again, Clabo cost way to much and nearly got Ryan killed several times last year. If we use his cap to get Seymour it is even better and we needed to move him aside to get our young Olinemen more in games snaps. It was a very smart decision now and in the long term.

He's Clabo. He's not exactly an elite performer, as much as I like the guy. There's no sense cutting a guy just because he is old, but he hasn't performed THAT well, so I'm okay with it and will be very happy if we can get Seymour and maybe another vet.

I'm an old man and may be wrong, trust me, but didn't Charles Johnson just own Clabo? Johnson had 3.5 sacks in week 4.

Better to cut the cord early than to hang on too long. We have a pair of 3rd rounders waiting in the wings. It's a more efficient use of resources to get 1 or both playing and free up cap space.

I agree -- but history don't back it up.

They are still trying to recover from the identical situation with Dahl

Now they have to "fix" Dahl and Clabo--of course I was afraid of this very situation when I thought both Dahl and Clabo were gone at the same time early 11.

That makes zero sense . So it's cool for young guys to play RT? but in one year you already want to replace one of the young DEs . Thats the thing and why Thomas Dimitroff is a hypocrite and his plan is going to be falling apart real soon . The youth movement is ok at RT but TD has not found our future rb and future TE . Yet some of the Julio backers ( trade stand point) always point to Julio is Roddy replacement but TD has yet to find Tony G or rb future .

Again if plan was youth movement . What we should have did was bolster the defense

and bring Abe back for one more season play him at 60 % snaps and still allow young guys to develop . Also we were bullied by Tony G and his contract win one for Tony G and our dumb GM drooling over Tony H to return instead of going for a younger TE to be our future starter .

Again youth movement at DE/ RT but brings back a old aging TE that's 7 mil against. the cap and a 30 year old rb . Yet youth movement ? stop it . TD is trying to buy himself some time thinking it's this year Falcons win a Super Bowl or major changes and roster turnover on way . Can't expect anything less from hypocrite who him and his coach " stressed about the Process" goes ahead and trades away 5 draft picks for Julio

Did the Ravens trade for Julio ? nope they win a Super Bowl

Giants did they need to trade up for Julio ... nope they win a Super Bowl

A couple of things swift....

Like my post said.. Right or wrong.... They had to make this move feeling comfortable with what we have.... Could they be wrong.. Ofcourse but they see the guys all the team... You have to go by their evaluation until its proven that they are wrong... Its the offseason.

With DE... I said it in multiple post ... At DE thats a option if a DE does not show us something besides being a rotational guy

I still dont know where you and FFS1970 is getting the youth movement thing from.. I mean im not on like i used to so i may have missed something but ive never heard about a youth movement... Is it a article or something ?

Its no doubt we have gotten younger and i def think TD wanted to do that but you cant have rookies and 1 year starters starting every where..... Mix it up... I said it when we signed tony... I think 7 mil was to steep for me but i fully understand why we wanted him back...

The thing is atljbo . I don't want the Falcons to sign a DE no matter what next year . We should give the guys 2 years . Either Matthews, Massaquoi of kid from Clemson one of them has to step up and be a serviceable starter . So there would be no need to spend $ on a DE next year . Id rather offer Geno Atkins if he hits market a big time contract

Agree with this. I think a young gun will step up. Disagree with you think TD's plan will fall apart cause I think he's mor savvy than that. I think he drafts 2 or 3 years in advance. I think he looks for a certain position coming out ahead of us fans. I think he has his eye on a RB that's coming out next year and probably had had his eye on him for 2 years like he did with trufant. Maybe he already has his guy in mind and SJ was the short term fix until he gets his long term guy.

I can't see us spending a 1st round or early pick on rb unless Steven Jax is a disaster . I see next years first round pick a DT or a RG . If things break right and we do break through with a Super Bowl I see TD making a move into top 10 again

The thing with TD plan falling apart is

- if this team gets no pass rush it's his choosing

- if The RT fails it was him cutting Clabo to soon

He is also going into a ( Super Bowl mode season) with counting on young DBs . How many teams have relied on rookie corners during Super Bowl run

Trufant needs to be a player and the lack of depth this team has scares me

Shows moxy , I actually like the boldness of it. Oh and technically it is one starting CB , it isn't like Asante and McClain ran away or anything. Replacing Dunta is not that big of deal. Had we not , people would just be bit*hing about Dunta. I prefer them having to reach and bish about Trufant.

I can't see us spending a 1st round or early pick on rb unless Steven Jax is a disaster . I see next years first round pick a DT or a RG . If things break right and we do break through with a Super Bowl I see TD making a move into top 10 again

The thing with TD plan falling apart is

- if this team gets no pass rush it's his choosing

- if The RT fails it was him cutting Clabo to soon

He is also going into a ( Super Bowl mode season) with counting on young DBs . How many teams have relied on rookie corners during Super Bowl run

Trufant needs to be a player and the lack of depth this team has scares me

I don't see a back in the first round either. He can probably catch his guy in the second. Maybe even the third the way backs have been going. I can see DT in the first tho. I think he goes heavy interior Dline next draft but I don't think we're bad off to the point his plan will fall apart. I actually think the D will be better this year after the growing pains of last year. Especially against running qb's. that's where we had the biggest issues. For some reason I think the rush improves this year. What say you?