Whats More Important.. Cap/money Or Draft Picks

I asked that because next year is the draft to get a pass rushing if thats still a need.

FA potentially has

Lamarr Houston -DT

Jared Allen -DE

Michael Bennett -DE

Anthony Spencer -DE

Carlos Dunlap -DE

Everson Griffen -DE

Greg Hardy -DE

Michael Johnson -DE

Arthur Jones -DT

Brian Robison -DE

Draft Trade up

Clowney, Barr , or Attaochu

My point is... Would you rather just spend money/cap on a pass rusher that will atleast cost you 7+mil a season or would you trade draft picks to move up and get an elite athletic pass rusher for cheap for 4 years. ?

The goal to aim for is to have a player at every single position that you are confident in as a starter going into the draft. That frees you up for the draft, prevents you from reaching for a need, and allows you to draft to compensate for the future rather than the now. For example, if we would've had no real needs going into this year's draft, we likely could've drafted Sharrif Floyd, Sylvester Williams or Datone Jones with our trade up, allowing us to save some money by letting Babs walk at the end of the year rather than feeling hassled to get him re-signed because he's the only interior pass rush presence on our roster.

The goal to aim for is to have a player at every single position that you are confident in as a starter going into the draft. That frees you up for the draft, prevents you from reaching for a need, and allows you to draft to compensate for the future rather than the now. For example, if we would've had no real needs going into this year's draft, we likely could've drafted Sharrif Floyd, Sylvester Williams or Datone Jones with our trade up, allowing us to save some money by letting Babs walk at the end of the year rather than feeling hassled to get him re-signed because he's the only interior pass rush presence on our roster.

You will always have needs... The 49ers are stacked and had to trade up for Eric Reid out of need.

You will always have needs... The 49ers are stacked and had to trade up for Eric Reid out of need.

They didn't really have to put themselves into that position though. They could've re-signed Goldson or brought in a guy like Pat Chung or Bernard Pollard, they just felt that the safety depth in the draft (combined with the sheer quantity of draft picks they had) left them in a good position to get a better safety via the draft than what they could've gotten via free agency. They still ended up pigeonholing themselves, and could've traded up for Sharrif Floyd or Sylvester Williams so they could let Justin Smith walk after 2013, saving $8m.

I think with TD it is draft picks.

I would be all for trading up to get a young athletic pass rusher. We haven't had much success developing later round pass rushers but then again we haven't had muck luck signing big time pass rusher in FA either so that is why I all for trading up similar to what we did to get JJ. Pass rushing DE are just too important in todays game not to have one. Just my humble opinion.

Edited by AEFalcon

dunlap was the #1 player i wanted us to draft in 2010, i'd be ecstatic if the bengals let him walk (unlikely) and we signed him up. 4-3 pass rushers are a bit scarce after clowney and he's going to cost a lot to trade up. i'd maybe move up for another pass rusher but in a trade similar to the trufant trade than the julio jones trade.

Letting Justin Smith leave would be a terrible stupid move

I was about to say TAHT... i THINK Aldon Smith would still be a 10 sack guy without him but in this system.. He is not this 15+ sack guy without Justin Smith supreme holding technique