Steven Jackson Will Be Featured In Falcons' Air Attack

Trouble

On the heels of signing Jackson to a three-year, $12 million contract in March, Falcons coach Mike Smith on Wednesday talked about the 29-year-old as a potential pass-catching threat out of the backfield.

"He's a big, strong running back that catches the ball extremely well," Smith said, per The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "He creates issues for defenses. He's just another weapon that we have in our offensive arsenal. He's a guy who had close to 100 catches in a season, so he's a guy that we can use in the passing game. He's not just a running back, he's a receiving back as well."

The Falcons never had that option with Michael Turner, who caught a measly 59 passes during his five seasons in Atlanta. Jackson has averaged 45 catches per year dating to 2004.

The caution here is Jacquizz Rodgers, the Falcons' versatile runner who figures to see plenty of action on passing downs. Still, offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter repeatedly has talked about using more screen passes to chip away at defenses, and that bodes well for Jackson in this high-octane attack.

Turner sucked at catching. He sucked at running... Did he even find a job this year?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sooooooo, they're gonna take receptions away from Gonzo and give 'em to a 30 year old RB with a ton of miles on him that they need to keep fresh so they can use him in the ground game to help eat up the clock at the end of games?

Okay????????

Edited by jb 3.0

Falcons will never win a SB...........They just win lots of games, then puke when it matters........

I wouldn't say NEVER.......but it's beginning to look like it'll never happen in the 21st century.laugh.png

If they blow it......AGAIN, this season, I doubt it'll ever happen!

5 years ago Falcon fans kept crowing about what a young team they had, and were poised for all this future success.

Well, here we are 5 years later and they have one of the oldest starting units in the league.....and they STILL haven't done anything. But God forbid, we should ever mention any of those FACTS.

Sooooooo, they're gonna take receptions away from Gonzo and give 'em to a 30 year old RB with a ton of miles on him that they need to keep fresh so they can use him in the ground game to help eat up the clock at the end of games?

Okay????????

Stephen Jackson hasn't slowed yet, why would he all of the sudden slow down now? Because he is a Falcon?

Stephen Jackson hasn't slowed yet, why would he all of the sudden slow down now? Because he is a Falcon?

You're right! There's absolutely NO reason to think he's over the hill at 30 with a ton of miles on him.

That really wasn't the point though. I just find it funny...NOW you all are saying not only will he bea huge addition to the running game, but also the passing game, yet when he was signed they were talking about how they'd be able to rely on the rushing game in the 4th quarter.

You have to realize who's saying all this. Pat Yastinkass. You're son knows more about football than this guy.

I'll agree with the first part of your statement. But what does it have to do with Jackson being the next Marshall Faulk?

Jackson has never had the team around him Faulk had. One can make an argument Jackson has done more with less than most RBs all time. Not saying he's the next faulk but when he's in the backfield opposed to turner the threat is at least there for him to catch the ball as opposed to Turner. Faulk had 19k total yards in 12 seasons. Jackson has 13k in 9. so they are both great all around backs. Faulk was absolutely sick though. My main concern is as you said the mileage on him but at least we know he keeps his body in peak physical condition and has produced while being the only offensive weapon. I'd like to see him not vs 8 in the box every down.

Also no one posted anything remotely close to that homerish in this thread. Stop that.

I'll agree with the first part of your statement. But what does it have to do with Jackson being the next Marshall Faulk?

If the Falcons limit Jackson to about 15 carries per game, there is no reason to assume he won't be able to perform at a good level. Dude stays in beastly shape

If the Falcons limit Jackson to about 15 carries per game, there is no reason to assume he won't be able to perform at a good level. Dude stays in beastly shape

I'm looking for about a 18 touches for Jackson a game roughly (rushing/receiving). We do have a good #2 rb remember.

Turner didn't suck at all for most of his career here. There were times when he almost carried the team.

Last year, the wheels came off.

But one thing is certain, Turner contributed to make the whole team better in his heyday here.

Jackson on the other hand has never helped his team to a winning record , despite playing with a servicable QB and a great WR tandem. And an O line that blocked for an offense that gained 50, 000 yards during Orlando Pace's career.

Maybe Jackson still has tread. We will see. But he better still have it on the ground if he is gonna pull Turners weight from the past.

You can't pass on every down.

Edited by lilhoney

I've decided to do my part to turn this forum back to what it was. If you haven't noticed i've stopped the pissing matches with Resse and JB. LOL

it's always like this until training camp starts. the offseason just hasn't been the same since Favre actually retired sad.png

Turner didn't suck at all for most of his career here. There were times when he almost carried the team.

Last year, the wheels came off.

But one thing is certain, Turner contributed to make the whole team better.

Jackson on the other hand has never helped his team to a winning record , despite playing with a servicable QB and a great WR tandem. And an O line that blocked for an offense that gained 50, 000 yards during Orlando Pace's career.

Maybe Jackson still has tread. We will see. But he better still have it on the ground if he is gonna pull Turners weight from the past.

You can't pass on every down.

Serviceable QB? Bradford? Who? Bulger? Jackson has been the only offensive weapon on the Rams for quite some time....

it's always like this until training camp starts. the offseason just hasn't been the same since Favre actually retired sad.png

It was like this during the season. LOL. I'm glad Favre is finally retired. He's not better than the person whose records he played forever to break.

Because that is usually the way it happens. Players just hit a wall. History is littered with players who played one year too long.

I like to think Jackson still has some tread. But I hope that tread is on the ground because we need a revitalized ground game far worse than we need another receiving theat.

Serviceable QB? Bradford? Who? Bulger? Jackson has been the only offensive weapon on the Rams for quite some time....

Bulger was absolutely servicable. 96 games, 22,000 yards and 122 tds is servicable and more.

Jackson also played along with Holt and Bruce for 4-5 of his years and a great O line for most of his years. Bad O lines don't block for 50,000 yards of O in a 12 year span.

BTW, good to talk footbal.

RBs have certainly had worse and prospered.