Syrian Civil War Thread

Somewhere between 80,000-120,000 dead in the past 2 years, mostly innocent civilians, and now chemical weapons are being used.The US and EU are supporting the rebels, while Russia is supporting the Assad gov't. Russia is planning to send some of its finest SAM batteries to Assad, and Israel has threatened to go so far as to attack Russian supply convoys to prevent that (though more likely they'd just bomb them once the Russkies drop them off).

While the GOP froths at the mouth about the non-scandal that is Benghazi, virtually nobody is talking about the whole reason why our ambassador was in that backwoods shithole to begin with, or why our gov't lied to us about the reason behind the attacks: the US consulate was cover for a CIA op to funnel support to the Syrian rebels. It's public knowledge that we're giving the rebels "nonlethal" aid, but it's pretty clear that guns are making it there too.

I understand why the Russians support Assad. The Russians and the Syrian gov't have been tight forever, and Russia needs to keep its naval base in Tartus (its only path to the Atlantic in winter months).

But why are we supporting the "rebels", a.k.a. Al-Qaeda connected Islamist fundamentalists? What is our goal here? Are we really pretending to care so much about "self-determination" that we'll aid CLEARLY anti-American forces in that goal? Is it another stepping stone toward regime change in Iran, which has been written on the wall for years now? Is it a revival of the Cold War and a burgeoning proxy war between the US and Russia?

What should be the extent of our involvement, if any?

Do we just sit back and watch the oldest city on the entire planet (Damascus) burn to the ground?

Are there conditions under which you'd be comfortable with the US getting into another ground war in the Middle East?

Hopefully Assad wins. He's a terrible person but the Syrian rebels are dominated by Islamists and they're undoubtedly win the civil war between the rebel fragments following the fall of Assad, so there's that problem for us. There will also be a genocide against the Alawites if they win as well and they have already been massacring entire Christian villages. It is also likely that they have been the ones using chemical weapons in order to draw the United States into the conflict, yet we keep arming them despite all of this.

We seriously need to stop it with this 'enemy of my enemy is my friend,' BS. I cannot think of a single time it was employed where it did not blow up in our face, especially in the Middle East.

What should be the extent of our involvement, if any?

Do we just sit back and watch the oldest city on the entire planet (Damascus) burn to the ground?

Are there conditions under which you'd be comfortable with the US getting into another ground war in the Middle East?

1. None. We shouldn't be involved at all.

2. Yes.

3. Yes, If a country (and I mean government directed military action) attacks us or our ambassadors then I would support action but only under those terms.

1. None. We shouldn't be involved at all.

2. Yes.

3. Yes, If a country (and I mean government directed military action) attacks us or our ambassadors then I would support action but only under those terms.

I agree we shouldn't be involved at all, but I think it's important to keep in mind WRT no. 2 that Damascus wouldn't be in danger of burning to the ground if we hadn't stuck our **** noses in it to begin with.

Remember when that clown assad laughed in our Brother Qadaffi's face when hearing the truth about the west's crimes?

Laughing at 1:27 like the clown he is. He thought just because he was nice and light, with a blonde wife(thats dye BTW), and a secular government that the west saw him as one of them.

Just LOL man. Whites always hated him just as much they hated the darkest of dark Arabs. Only difference is who had the nicest bumhole they could screw at any given point and time.

His country will suffer for his passive insolence. Best case scenario is the current government wins, but Assad gets the guillotine. Win-Win situation all around.

Also I think the government is lying about the assassination of Yara Abbas

Yara-Abbas1.jpg

Since when did she do any war reporting? I remember watching her do SA coverage, and it seems she never went further than pop facts. Sure, Journalists switch it up all the time but to go from strictly entertainment to war like that is suspicious.

Me thinks the government is trying to use one "ok"(typical mixed chick) looking journalist into shaming the rest of the world to support their cause.

"Them terrorists killed this hot chick who supports my government. SUPPORT MY GOVERNMENT BROSSSSS!!!!!!"

He thought just because he was nice and light, with a blonde wife(thats dye BTW), and a secular government that the west saw him as one of them.

I wouldn´t actually call that blonde

It´s not like she wants to look like Jessica Alba in the Fantastic Four

If you dislike fake blondes then you really must hate American women biggrin.png

Edited by Herr Beast

• 2 weeks later...

Obama Steps Up Military Aid To Syrian Rebels

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama's authorization of military aid to the Syrian rebels "dramatically" increases U.S. support for the opposition, the White House said Friday, while acknowledging that it will take time for the supplies to reach fighters struggling in their clashes with Syrian President Bashar Assad.

U.S. officials said the new aid would include weapons and ammunition and comes in response to firmer evidence from the White House of chemical weapons use by Assad's regime.

"There's already material that's been flowing to the opposition and that will continue in the weeks to come," said Ben Rhodes, Obama's deputy national security adviser.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/14/obama-syria_n_3441251.html

• 2 weeks later...

Syrian priest dies during ‘rebel attack’ on Franciscan convent

A 49-year-old Syrian priest and hermit was killed earlier this week, apparently when a group of rebels attacked the Franciscan Convent of St Anthony in Ghassanieh, a village in the north of the country near the Turkish border.

Franciscan Father Pierbattista Pizzaballa, the head of the Franciscan Custody of the Holy Land, told Vatican Radio on Monday that Father Francois Murad was not a Franciscan, but had taken refuge in the convent when it became clear he was not safe at the Syriac Catholic hermitage he was building nearby.

Syriac Catholic Archbishop Jacques Behnan Hindo of Hassake-Nisibi told Fides, the news agency of the Congregation for the Evangelisation of Peoples, that Father Murad “sent me several messages which showed he was aware of living in a dangerous situation and was willing to offer his life for peace in Syria and the world.”

Father Pizzaballa said that Ghassanieh, “like other Christian villages, has been almost completely destroyed and is almost totally abandoned.” He said he believes the only people left in Ghassanieh “are the rebels with their families, rebels who are not from Syria and who are extremists.”

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2013/06/25/syrian-priest-dies-during-rebel-attack-on-franciscan-convent/