Our Lines: Something That Never Gets Mentioned

Our O line is in a state of change, big change. Our D line might be, depending on how all these younger players look. With five linemen entering contract years...Johnson, Hawley, Peters, Babs and Jerry...who knows how these guys will play. Baker was in his contract year last season, and turned in a pretty good season. I hope Baker can keep it up, and some of our contract year guys follow suit.

But here is something that I thought I would bring up, since no one has mentioned it before. How does our coaching staff know how good our linemen are, on both sides of the ball, when they are practicing against each other? For example, if the Ravens have an interior lineman who can stand up to Ngata in practice, then the Ravens KNOW they have a player. But teams like the Falcons, who have some solid but certainly not elite linemen on either side of the ball...except Osi...how does our staff know when we have a real player as regards our lines?

This might partially explain why our coaches keep some of our players, like Jerry and Hawley, who haven't really shown all that much in games...yet they are still here. Do these linemen just look good in practice against our guys, giving the coaches the illusion these guys can play? Or what?

Our O line is in a state of change, big change. Our D line might be, depending on how all these younger players look. With five linemen entering contract years...Johnson, Hawley, Peters, Babs and Jerry...who knows how these guys will play. Baker was in his contract year last season, and turned in a pretty good season. I hope Baker can keep it up, and some of our contract year guys follow suit.

But here is something that I thought I would bring up, since no one has mentioned it before. How does our coaching staff know how good our linemen are, on both sides of the ball, when they are practicing against each other? For example, if the Ravens have an interior lineman who can stand up to Ngata in practice, then the Ravens KNOW they have a player. But teams like the Falcons, who have some solid but certainly not elite linemen on either side of the ball...except Osi...how does our staff know when we have a real player as regards our lines?

This might partially explain why our coaches keep some of our players, like Jerry and Hawley, who haven't really shown all that much in games...yet they are still here. Do these linemen just look good in practice against our guys, giving the coaches the illusion these guys can play? Or what?

I don't really buy that we can't evaluate talent / performance based on that. We beat a lot of teams the past few years... while our lines are mediocre, they aren't bad by any means... and we can test their ability not just line vs. line but line vs. defenders or line vs. offense

• 5 months later...

Well, Alge Crumpler just confirmed what I posted back then, so....here 'tis again.

Ego great post and it's sad that the fans can see it and understand but why not TD and Coach Smith!

I think TD and Smitty understand this concept, however what opportunity have they really had to draft a Ngata or a premium O lineman? Not much....though I do think we could have done much better than we have talent wise, especially on our O line.

One thing is for sure, we now know a lot more about our lines especially O line than we did before. I think its safe to say TD and Smitty WILL work to improve things for next season. TD once said, if you see someone you want, you do what you have to to move up in the draft to secure that player. It will be interesting to see if he has that attitude towards players in the trenches, not just WR and CB.

Thanks for the props BTW :)

I think the entire team was built for speed instead of physicality. Our lines (especially this year) are always getting pushed back (especially the o-line). Speed is great, but you have to win the trench wars and we can't do that. Seattle impresses me with the way their d-line is built. It's a big physical line but when it's 3rd and long, they bring in the speed rushers that are also physical. They're backups are better than our starters in my opinion

Right, check out the date, I posted this in May before the season started.

Reason I brought this thread out was because I and others said back then, the same thing Alge is saying now.

That's why you don't make judgments based on practice/preseason. Like Baker, we had enough information to make a decision on Jerry, Johnson and Hawley (no). Babs, depends on his age/length of contract and Peters (please try harder to keep him than they did with Vance Walker).

I think you can tell from practice. The guys who were here in the past (cut/FA players over the last couple of years) didn't dominate the lines & the young guys couldn't beat them out in practice. So why would you think they would be better against the better OL/DL talent in the league. If we know a DT/DE on our team is mediocre, and your young OL can't dominate him in practice, I think it's safe to assume that O-lineman is mediocre as well. Not sure why this staff thought that guys who can't dominate in practice are going to be good enough going into the next season not to worry about bringing in some vets or spending high picks on the line.

I'm in the minority but I seriously believe that if we had a defensive line coach like Chuck Smith, a guy that emphasizes speed, strength, violence and use of hands our line would be better than average. whether people want to believe it or not we've got some very good talent on the line being wasted away playing contain and being safe. Chuck Smith teaches to get after the QB by all means

Yep that was a very astute observation you made way back in camp - good call there. I might add that this just further erodes my confidence in this coaching staff and entire regime to evaluate line talent at all. Sorry, but until I see a major change, my confidence in the entire organization to build lines is just shot. In six years they have steadily regressed each year, and it gets worse and worse. Now we have a chance to REALLY upgrade both lines this year, and I will just think when I hear whoever they pick (did they get it wrong again?).

In fact, if they even get Clowney, I will be thinking, "they will use him wrong or screw up his development."