Holmes Running With #2S ? - Ota Article

I thought he was already penciled in as the starter, but according to this he will have to beat out Mike Johnson .....unsure.png

http://www.chatsports.com/atlanta-falcons/a/Trufant-Toilolo-must-wait-to-join-Falcons-The-SportsXchange-1-7941811

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

Left tackle Sam Baker, left guard Justin Blalock, center Peter Konz, right guard Garrett Reynolds and right tackle Mike Johnson were the first-team offensive line.

Lamar Holmes, who spent all of last season at left tackle, was moved over to right tackle and was running with the second unit. He's competing for the starting spot.

"It was nice to see Lamar Holmes come out and handle his business at the right tackle position," Smith said.

Yea, I understand that, but didnt Smith state he would start OTAs as #1 RT ? .....must have changed his mind ...

I don't think he said OTA or camp. He said they will compete, I am betting at start of the camp both will get snaps with first team. By end of the camp, you will probably start seeing one player getting all or about 90% snaps if a player is winning the battle.

Im not sleeping on Mike Johnson. He was one of the best linemen prospects in his class. He also has experience all across the line from college.

Injuries have derailed him so far, but i am excited to see what he can do healthy.

If he didnt have the ability they wouldnt have moved him from G to T ( a more difficult position).

Im not sleeping on Mike Johnson. He was one of the best linemen prospects in his class. He also has experience all across the line from college.

Injuries have derailed him so far, but i am excited to see what he can do healthy.

If he didnt have the ability they wouldnt have moved him from G to T ( a more difficult position).

In before the TD detractors come in and start in on snide comments about his drafting abilities. It's OTA's...don't really care, as long as Ryan stays upright next season.

Pretty much. OTA's really tell us nothing in terms of who's going to be playing where in the next couple months

Wasn't Johnson a 3rd rounder just like Holmes?

Its not like Holmes was a 1st rounder and will be given the spot out right. And I like it like that if anything I'd like to see Johnson at RG and Holmes at RT. When you take a guy in the 3rd you expect him to have an impact if not now in the future so ya I can see why there giving Johnson the 1st look so to say.

I will add though Holmes seems like at least from a Pass Blocking stand point is the real deal and has not only pro bowl talent but maybe all pro talent at least if the leave him on the right side.

Anybody remember that Sam Baker was really bad minus part of his rookie season and last year I hope he has turned the corner but with it being a contract year last year he had a lot to play for not only the contract but a lot of people expected him to be cut.

So I'm saying that I think Homles will get his chance one way or another and the same can be said for Johnson as well I just have a feeling Baker isn't going to able to stay healthy and play at the level he did last year.

Its not like Holmes was a 1st rounder and will be given the spot out right. And I like it like that if anything I'd like to see Johnson at RG and Holmes at RT. When you take a guy in the 3rd you expect him to have an impact if not now in the future so ya I can see why there giving Johnson the 1st look so to say.

obviously that would be the idea lineup for me. I don't mind Johnson playing tackle but the guy was a d@mn good guard that cleared the way for some backs that ain't exactly tearing it up in the NFL.

I will add though Holmes seems like at least from a Pass Blocking stand point is the real deal and has not only pro bowl talent but maybe all pro talent at least if the leave him on the right side.

Anybody remember that Sam Baker was really bad minus part of his rookie season and last year I hope he has turned the corner but with it being a contract year last year he had a lot to play for not only the contract but a lot of people expected him to be cut.

So I'm saying that I think Homles will get his chance one way or another and the same can be said for Johnson as well I just have a feeling Baker isn't going to able to stay healthy and play at the level he did last year.

I just think the general consensus is that Lamar Holmes has a higher ceiling than Mike Johnson. Also, Johnson has been on the roster for three years w/ limited playing time - obviously part of that is due to injury - but expectations for him are much lower than Holmes - I know I am much higher on Holmes than Mike Johnson.

I just think the general consensus is that Lamar Holmes has a higher ceiling than Mike Johnson. Also, Johnson has been on the roster for three years w/ limited playing time - obviously part of that is due to injury - but expectations for him are much lower than Holmes - I know I am much higher on Holmes than Mike Johnson.

I agree with you. I am also at that point where I am sick and tired of hearing and hoping for Johnson to do something , anything , show us he is alive! Reminds me of so many other players and their legend when it comes to the AFMB.

Interesting, I think it is still to early to mean anything though...

A few things I do not understand: How does Mike Johnson go from an All American Guard to nothing in the NFL, and now they could potentially be looking at him for the starting RT job?

Also why can Reynolds not play RT? My initial thought was that he got kicked inside because we had Clabo at the time. But now Clabo is gone so I am assuming he just isn't athletic enough?

Interesting, I think it is still to early to mean anything though...

A few things I do not understand: How does Mike Johnson go from an All American Guard to nothing in the NFL, and now they could potentially be looking at him for the starting RT job?

Also why can Reynolds not play RT? My initial thought was that he got kicked inside because we had Clabo at the time. But now Clabo is gone so I am assuming he just isn't athletic enough?

Kinda a head scratcher, RT is his natural position, his body type suited to RT, I think he is fairly athletic for a O lineman ...I mean, they forced a square peg into a round hole with him at RG, he finally starts to get it, then he gets hurt.....I kinda got a feeling there will be a couple surprises this year on O-line ....

Kinda a head scratcher, RT is his natural position, his body type suited to RT, I think he is fairly athletic for a O lineman ...I mean, they forced a square peg into a round hole with him at RG, he finally starts to get it, then he gets hurt.....I kinda got a feeling there will be a couple surprises this year on O-line ....

Yeah it just doesn't really make sense. Wouldn't you think if Mike Johnson was going to win a spot on the line it would be at guard? Maybe he just isn't strong enough? Idk I don't understand it

Yeah it just doesn't really make sense. Wouldn't you think if Mike Johnson was going to win a spot on the line it would be at guard? Maybe he just isn't strong enough? Idk I don't understand it

If Johnson dont get his chit in one sock THIS year, it will be high time to label him a bust ...mofo was an All American and a 3rd round pick ....

He started out as a guard. He might have even beat out Reynolds for guard if he hadn't gotten hurt. I understand that they want Holmes to earn the spot at tackle but he should be the starter at Rt and they should let Johnson and Reynolds have an all put battle royale for the guard spot.