Ajc: Falcons Quotes After Ota's (Kroy Playing More Lb?)

g-dawg

Falcons quotes after Wednesday’s OTA

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

JONATHAN BABINEAUX, DEFENSIVE TACKLE/END

ON OTAs: “It’s good to be back together as a team and as a unit. We have to make sure that we are taking the necessary steps to get better.”

ON THE TRANSITION: “Like every other team in the league, things change from year to year. It will take a little while to get adjusted to.”

KROY BIERMANN, DEFENSIVE END/LINEBACKER

ON THE DEFENSE: “It’s good. There are fast guys out there. There’s speed out there. There are guys that are going to be aggressive and are going to make plays and help this team win. There are guys out there just flying around.”

ON THE HIGH EXPECTATIONS: “I come here to work, like most guys do. We’re here to get the work done. Show up every day and get better.”

ON HIS HYBRID DE/LB ROLE: “Yeah, I think Coach Nolan’s scheme is very unique and it’s very fast paced. There is a lot of depth to it when he starts opening up that playbook. It’s going to be a good year and I think guys are excited to be flying around.”

ON PLAYING MORE LINEBACKER: “I’m just happy to be out there. It’s good to be flying around. Nolan’s playbook has some depth to it. I don’t even think that I’ve seen half of it. But he’s going to start opening it up, I think. Where ever they put me, I’ll play and I’m going to play to the best of my ability.”

636699313.jpg

OSI UMENYIORA, DEFENSIVE END

ON HIS TRANSITION: “It’s been awesome. The whole team has welcomed me with open arms. It’s just been a wonderful feeling coming out here with these guys. It’s a great football team. They have welcomed me and I’m happy to be here.”

ON LEARNING THE SCHEME: “It’s different, but the coaches do a great job of explaining everything to me. Defense is really defense. As long as you get that down pat and understand what it is that they are asking of you, I think everything will be better.”

MIKE SMITH, HEAD COACH

ON THE DEFENSE: “We have a lot of guys that haven’t played in the defense right now. Obviously, we have some guys that aren’t practicing especially at the linebacker position so we are getting some young guys that are getting an opportunity to play. I think there is going to be a lot of competition in certain areas on the defense like in the secondary. Those guys, for two days, have come out here and have given us some great effort. I’ve enjoyed watching them practice. Their energy is outstanding.”

ON COMPETITIONS: “This is going to be the most competitive offseason that we’ve had since our first season. Defensive back is one of the areas where it’s going to be competitive. Not only at the corner position, but at the safety position in the backup roles because of the way we addressed it in the draft. Along the offensive line, we have two new positions that we have open. We’ve got some guys that have played for us in Garrett Reynolds and Pete Konz. Mike Johnson has got some playing time and Lamar Holmes, those four guys are going to be competing. As you know, we have to cross train these guys and get them ready. It was nice to see Lamar Holmes come out and handle his business at the right tackle position."

ON BRADIE EWING: "Bradie has made a very swift recovery from the ACL injury that he had during the season. He’s way ahead of schedule. He’s 100 percent and I think he’s probably better now than he was when he got here in terms of his strength. He’s done a great job with Marty and A.J. in our athletic performance group. He’ looks really good.”

ON STEVEN JACKSON: “He’s a big strong running back that catches the ball extremely well. He creates issues for defenses. He’s just another weapon that we have in our offensive arsenal. He’s a guy who had close to 100 catches in a season, so he’s a guy that we can use in the passing game. He’s not just a running back, he’s a receiving back as well.”

0529_StevenJackson_CP.jpg

ON KROY BIERMANN: “Kroy Biermann is very valuable to our team. Multiplicity on the defensive side of the ball is what we are looking for. We want to be a multiple as we possibly can. Kroy last year, was guy that lined up with his hand on the ground, standing up, he did some things in pass defense and he’s been very multiple. He’ll continue to have that role. If he can handle the special teams, we’ll like him to be involved in that as well. There are certain special teams that we’ll probably keep him on. He’s been a ‘Big Four’ guy as Keith (Armstrong) calls him. I think that we’ll lessen his load somewhat, but he’ll be out there on certain special teams plays.”

Bierrman was always miscast as a 4-3 DE. He is the prototype 3-4 DE.....Whether it be a 3-4 OLB, 3-3-5 OLB or a 4-3 SLB - Bierrman's skills are most suited to play in space either rushing the passer or dropping into zone coverage.

Dled needs to do better job. From the interview with Ray Hamilton, it sounded like Kroy Biermann would be used as a disguise on the defense playing multiple positions. I would be surprised if he got more snaps at LB than DE. Daniel Cox also had a good write up on the Defensive ends and Kroy Biermann which talked about young guys and their probable roles.

From the interview with Ray Hamilton, it sounded like Kroy Biermann would be used as a disguise on the defense playing multiple positions. I would be surprised if he got more snaps at LB than DE.

agree that he is gonna be the "joker" - never know where he lines up in formation.

the reasons I think he could play more LBer than DE:

1. he's better at it
  2. we are short nickel linebackers
  3. we are short quality linebackers period
  4. Bierrman is not good fighting offensive tackles and breaking free
  5. did i mention he is better at it?
  6. Falcons have plethora of Defensive Ends already
  7. Bierrman not the best at holding POA in running game

agree that he is gonna be the "joker" - never know where he lines up in formation.

the reasons I think he could play more LBer than DE:

1. he's better at it
  2. we are short nickel linebackers
  3. we are short quality linebackers period
  4. Bierrman is not good fighting offensive tackles and breaking free
  5. did i mention he is better at it?
  6. Falcons have plethora of Defensive Ends already

He is a liability in coverage however so i don't think he will go to ROLB in any formation that isn't requiring the ROLB to be a pass rusher mainly.

He is a liability in coverage however so i don't think he will go to ROLB in any formation that isn't requiring the ROLB to be a pass rusher mainly.

more of a liability in coverage than Nicholas or Dent? I disagree.

go back and put the tape on the Broncos game and tell me you don't think he can be a decent zone cover backer.

more of a liability in coverage than Nicholas or Dent? I disagree.

go back and put the tape on the Broncos game and tell me you don't think he can be a decent zone cover backer.

I will I did this earlier for the Saints game where someone said KB did very well against Graham and my discoveries were....

Just watched that game, every snap on D that the Saints passed on.

My take, Kroy B dropped into coverage maybe 4 times (He rushes 90% of the time)

3 times he was near Graham, which he got 1 reception for about 14 yards completely abusing KB in coverage.

The other 2 he was really open but just not the look Brees wanted.

KB cannot play in space and will not be a LBer he will be a joker that rushes the passer 90% of the time but moves around so you cannot know where he is coming.

Also another take from that game is McClain is a monster, I wouldn't be shocked if he won the nickel spot or even the #2.

I will do the same for the Broncos game but he didn't look comfortable in the Saints game.

He better rise the fk up, Kim needs more/kids/dinero/pipe .....she getting big house with servant quarters ....I know all this chit because my other makes me watch the fkng soap opera with her, LOL ....nothing a couple of ice cold Red Stripes cant get me through though ....

He better rise the fk up, Kim needs more/kids/dinero/pipe .....she getting big house with servant quarters ....I know all this chit because my other makes me watch the fkng soap opera with her, LOL ....nothing a couple of ice cold Red Stripes cant get me through though ....

It'll take more than beers for me to watch that ish.

I expect a decent improvement from KB, I'm just not sold on his athleticism.