Michael Clarke Duncan's Tomb Vandalized By Racists?

I'm not sure about this one, literally. I guess you could view it as a "sambo" type characterture, honestly I thought it looked like a Halloween black cat (the purple eyes, orange mouth) but I have no idea why someone would put a black cat on his tomb, so who knows, it may be some idiotic racist message, but C'mon a "hate crime"? Geez.

MCD was a very cool guy, I was an actual fan and I don't like too many Hollywood types, so I hope this wasn't a racist thing, he deserves better.

Cat or racist imagery? Either way I think it was probably one of the d-bags from TMZ who put it there, then snapped a photo.

Also, his family needs to do a better job of keeping his flowers fresh. He only passed 7 or so months back. Those look like crap.

michaelclarkduncan.jpg

duncangravetmz.jpg

http://www.tmz.com/2013/05/24/michael-clarke-duncan-gravesite-vandalized-with-racist-figure/

Some racist jerk has desecrated Michael Clark Duncan's grave ... this according to a Duncan family rep, who tells TMZ a vandalism report has already been filed with the police.

We're told ... a family friend stopped by Forest Lawn Cemetery in the Hollywood Hills to deliver flowers to the spot where MCD was interred in Sept. 2012 ... when she noticed a figure of a cartoonish black face had been attached to the center of MCD's tomb.

The friend believes the black face is an image of "Sambo" -- a character that has long been considered an offensive and racist depiction of a black person.

MCD's friends and family were shocked by the discovery -- wondering what kind of lowlife would desecrate Michael's final resting spot.

We're told the family contacted the LAPD -- and were told the incident could be considered a hate crime. Cops are currently investigating the situation.

The family tells us ... Forest Lawn immediately removed the "Sambo" from MCD's tomb -- but they won't be satisfied until they find out who violated the tomb.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/05/24/michael-clarke-duncan-gravesite-vandalized-with-racist-figure/#ixzz2UhtJJiiv

Sad! Some people have too much time on their hands. As far as the flowers my mom died in 2000, I can count on two hands the number of times I have been to the cemetery (usually for a burial) and one hand the number of times I have visited her grave. People have their reasons.

Not racist after all, just a nice, but pretty well untalented artist. Only TMZ (where I originally saw this) continues being the scum bags they are and have not set the record straight. All others who reported this incorrectly have clarified the situation. I still think the biggest joke of this whole thing was mentioning this as a possible hate crime, but I'm glad that someone wasn't a big enough dbag to deface a man's tomb (at least in this case).

Update: The unusual smiley face object that was left behind was very likely the work of (or inspired by) artist Lisa Albanese, who routinely leaves them at celebrity graves as a sign of respect, Mark Masek ofCemeteryGuide.com alerted LAist.

Albanese identified herself to Frommers' Editor-in-Chief Jason Cochran as the one who's been leaving the smiles on graves:

"It’s been brought to my attention that you have been curious to who has been leaving the rock smileys on the celebrity graves… That would be me! I also leave them on other graves that catch my attention, next to street art, and anything else that catches my attention in the Los Angeles Area. It all started with my friend Tamra finding a little rock with a face on it, and how it made her smile. Then a few of us thought we’d leave some rock smileys around for others to find, sort of like a pay it forward type of thing."

She also told Cochran, "Symbolically I leave them as my way of paying respect to the dead and to leave my mark that I was there. I also hope that they bring a smile to the faces of the living and maybe the dead too." She has more photos of her smiley rocks on her Facebook page.

UPDATE: 1:40 pm We reached out to Albanese, who told us, "As soon as this was brought to my attention I reached out to Forest Lawn, because the last thing I want to do is offend anyone. I am more in shock and saddened that some people have been misinterpreting my colorful smiley face painted on a little rock. And again, the last thing I want to do is offend anyone, and I am truly sorry to those who I have offended."