Josh Harvey Clemons Facing Suspension

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Millennial Manifesto for Marijuana Law Reform

LDkcypM.png

As our nation edges cautiously toward majority support for marijuana legalization, the millennial generation is leading the way more than any other demographic in history.

Our generation has experienced as much or more tragedy than any post-WW II generation with the exception of the baby boomers. The difference is that boomers, who witnessed the assassination of a president, a presidential candidate and a major civil rights activist and who lived through significant social and political upheavals, also saw huge social progress, the evolution of equal rights, greater consumer protection and the end of the Cold War. Despite many bumps along the way, the economy remained intact for that generation, jobs were available and college was still affordable.

Millennials experienced on 9/11, the first major attack on U.S. soil since Pearl Harbor. We’ve grown up with homeland security threat levels, we’ve witnessed massacre after massacre in our schools and in public places that used to be considered safe (think Columbine, Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook, the D.C. snipers, Boston, etc). As young adults, we’ve been confronted with an economy on the verge of collapse, a world plagued by terrorism, an expensive and proliferating drug war, skyrocketing tuitioncosts and a job market that is barely there. Yet with all of that, we still believe in the glory of the America we were told about growing up. That, “America is the richest, most powerful country in the world, where everyone has the opportunity to make money and achieve the American dream,” and despite everything going on now, we believe that it still can.

So why, you wonder, do so many millennials (65% according to the latest Pew Research Poll) support the legalization of marijuana in light of all these other issues? It’s because we believe this is a serious national problem with a sensible fix and a positive outcome for everyone.

• We believe that marijuana prohibition negatively affects so many aspects of our society and we believe that reforming this senseless policy will actually help the American people and our economy.
  • We’ve seen the lives of so many of our friends and loved ones destroyed, not by using marijuana, but by the impact of its prohibition.
  • We know that the D.A.R.E. program is a joke.
  • We know that hundreds of millions of our tax dollars are wasted to support a criminal justice system that must track down, arrest, prosecute, incarcerate and then parole hundreds of thousands of non-violent and otherwise law abiding citizens, who are burdened with criminal records for the rest of their lives.
  • We know that our failed, and incredibly expensive war on drugs is destabilizing and corrupting governments south of our border, while enriching brutal drug lords.
  • We know that as long as marijuana remains unregulated, it will be far easier for an American child or adolescent to buy pot from a street vendor then it will be for that same child to purchase a beer or buy a pack of cigarettes in a store, where she is required to produce a government-issued ID.

Not only will legalization protect our brothers and sisters from unjust prosecution and a life tainted with a criminal record, it will also generate billions of dollars in federal and state tax revenues, and it will create a whole new industry in the U.S. which means more jobs for Americans. While marijuana represented a symbol of rebellion and counter culture to the boomer generation of the 60s and 70s – today, for millennials, marijuana legalization simply makes good political and economic sense. We made up about 20% of all voters in the last election, and are well on our way to becoming the largest generation in American history. Each year that passes brings millions of new young adults into the voting population. If policy makers don’t take note of our growing influence over future elections and begin to support the issues that are important to us, we will vote them out and find ones who do.

Took longer than I imagined, for one of our bright players to do what they do. Just once can we go a season without this nonsense?

nope since we have these moronic policies.. first off if this was another school an RA wouldn't call the police on the football players for smokin weed and second this wouldn't even be reported. for folks who like this policy i say it's crap.. no excuse for a game to be missed on the first failed test and to have no flexibility in the punishment unlike other schools. this isn't good for the perception of the players or the institution. it's a big fat lose lose period. it does nothing for UGA nor for our football team for this policy to be in place. so you can sit there on your holier than thou thrones (not referring to you sdogg) pretending you give a crap about weed smokin while i see honey badger playing after at least 10 failed drug tests during their natty title attempt and auburn players playing despite smoking weed and failing drug tests during their championship run (this is no shot at auburn or lsu, just pointing out how ridiculous uga's policies are) and the other rivals we face yearly who have players who are playing despite failing a weed drug test and wonder when will this university stop pretending their punishment policies do anything other than make it and the players look bad and hurt us on the football field.

Edit: JHD is suspended.. note to self if you are a uga player don't admit to anything. he didn't even have to fail a drug test see how stupid this is.

IMO we are gonna HAVE to change this policy ASAP.

No, what we need is for a certain RA to get a beatdown. This was an all-time ***** move by that guy/girl and they deserve to eat their teeth over it. Who calls the cops because a dorm room SMELLED like pot? Every single dorm on Earth would get the cops called. Keep in mind that they did not catch them smoking anything and did not find pot. This was solely because a jealous, whiny RA decided to be a little b*tch and call the police, something that would have them losing their RA status and moving to a different dorm if they did it at Bama, UF, LSU, MSU, UK, UT, Vandy, AU, USC, Mizzou, TAMU, Arky, etc...basically at any other school in the NCAA.

Edited by Nicolae

nope since we have these moronic policies.. first off if this was another school an RA wouldn't call the police on the football players for smokin weed and second this wouldn't even be reported. for folks who like this policy i say it's crap.. no excuse for a game to be missed on the first failed test and to have no flexibility in the punishment unlike other schools. this isn't good for the perception of the players or the institution. it's a big fat lose lose period. it does nothing for UGA nor for our football team for this policy to be in place. so you can sit there on your holier than thou thrones (not referring to you sdogg) pretending you give a crap about weed smokin while i see honey badger playing after at least 10 failed drug tests during their natty title attempt and auburn players playing despite smoking weed and failing drug tests during their championship run (this is no shot at auburn or lsu, just pointing out how ridiculous uga's policies are) and the other rivals we face yearly who have players who are playing despite failing a weed drug test and wonder when will this university stop pretending their punishment policies do anything other than make it and the players look bad and hurt us on the football field.

JHC wasn't arrested and he hasn't failed anything yet. They will drug test him and if he passes he doesn't miss a game, but if he fails he misses clemson. the fact that this is even news shows how stupid our policies are.

i will go ahead and assume you are talking about my holier than thou throne. I wasnt aware i was on one but thanks for pointing it out.

1. it is ILLEGAL to smoke pot.

2. IT IS AGAINST SCHOOL POLICY

3. IT IS AGAINST THE ATHLETIC DEPT POLICY.

Whether or not you agree with a law if you break that law then you should be punished. Do you think honey badger is a better player for getting to play despite the failed drug tests? auburn any better because of them?

the fact remains that they broke the rules. to sit and think we should change the rules because everyone is breaking them is a sign of the problems with our society as a whole. Quit bringing your policies down to the students and bring your students up to the policies.

FYI Sac is soooo right on in his comments about what's wrong with this policy that its ridiculous! And don't think this crap doesn't have a negative impact on recruiting, with a certain program that I won't name....it's the base of their argument against us.

Edited by West LA falconfan

It's official...he suspended for the first game against Clemson. SMH...

Welp, there is loss number 1. Thanks, Richt.

I hope that RA gets hit with bat. In the face.

i will go ahead and assume you are talking about my holier than thou throne. I wasnt aware i was on one but thanks for pointing it out.

Whether or not you agree with a law if you break that law then you should be punished. Do you think honey badger is a better player for getting to play despite the failed drug tests? auburn any better because of them?

the fact remains that they broke the rules. to sit and think we should change the rules because everyone is breaking them is a sign of the problems with our society as a whole. Quit bringing your policies down to the students and bring your students up to the policies.

Here is the thing though, IT IS STUPID FOR IT TO BE ILLEGAL OR AGAINST THE RULES. Oral sex is also illegal, do you think we should arrest you for that?

Another thing, who here honestly thinks that this dorm room was the only one in that building that had a pot smell coming from it? In fact, when this incident actually happened, who wants to bet there were at least 3 other dorms in that building lighting one up at that exact moment?

Edited by Nicolae

Welp, there is loss number 1. Thanks, Richt.

I hope that RA gets hit with bat. In the face.

Here is the thing though, IT IS STUPID FOR IT TO BE ILLEGAL OR AGAINST THE RULES. Oral sex is also illegal, do you think we should arrest you for that?

Another thing, who here honestly thinks that this dorm room was the only one in that building that had a pot smell coming from it? In fact, when this incident actually happened, who wants to bet there were at least 3 other dorms in that building lighting one up at that exact moment?

so you are actually going to chalk up a loss already? go run chicken little, the sky is falling again. man, i would hate to be with you in a bunker.

and if you are going to relate a banned substance to oral sex as your best argument then i have nothing else to say. they are on 2 different sides of the spectrum.

the bottom line is he knew the rules, and chose to break them. do you have kids? if so, if they break the rules do you not punish them? do you change your rules because other parents change theres? hopefully not. hopefully you have a backbone and can stand up for what you think is right or wrong.

Haha.. always the same comments every time this happens. Yeah, it's dumb, but he's a grown man and knew the potential consequences. You can whine about the rules not being fair (and I won't disagree) but if you're a player and unwilling to put down the green (or insist on being dumb about it) Georgia might not be your school.

Further, whatever you want to believe about the situation, wasn't JHC in Crowell's car? The one that the officer said smelled of marijuana? Maybe sitting a game will wake him up.

so you are actually going to chalk up a loss already? go run chicken little, the sky is falling again. man, i would hate to be with you in a bunker.

and if you are going to relate a banned substance to oral sex as your best argument then i have nothing else to say. they are on 2 different sides of the spectrum.

the bottom line is he knew the rules, and chose to break them. do you have kids? if so, if they break the rules do you not punish them? do you change your rules because other parents change theres? hopefully not. hopefully you have a backbone and can stand up for what you think is right or wrong.

You expect Moore or (God Forbid) Norman to stop any deep pass from Boyd? He didn't do it any last year, so why would he now?

Obviously, I am not chalking up a loss, but things just changed drastically where this game was concerned. We went from having a great talent with good potential at S to having a walkon (or a guy that couldn't beat out that walkon) with "ehhh...." potential. Made much worse by the fact it is the position that needs to be completely on their game against an offense like Clemson. It is like losing a couple of starting interior OL right before playing Bama.

Also, two different sides of the spectrum? Stop trying to change the argument, it isn't about oral sex and pot being the same crime. You said that it was illegal so he deserves to be in trouble, oral sex is also illegal. If you've ever gotten a blowjob, you are a criminal and according to your earlier post, you deserve to be in trouble.

I do not have kids, but I know enough to be able to say that yes I would punish them for doing something wrong. I would not however, punish them for doing something that I thought was fine, but someone else incorrectly thought was wrong.

Edited by Nicolae

Haha.. always the same comments every time this happens. Yeah, it's dumb, but he's a grown man and knew the potential consequences. You can whine about the rules not being fair (and I won't disagree) but if you're a player and unwilling to put down the green (or insist on being dumb about it) Georgia might not be your school.

Further, whatever you want to believe about the situation, wasn't JHC in Crowell's car? The one that the officer said smelled of marijuana? Maybe sitting a game will wake him up.

laugh.png

You are probably right. Any idea how much that is going to hurt our recruiting? These are college kids, you really think they don't/won't smoke weed? Why would they want to go to a school like UGA, where you can get suspended for just saying that you smoked, instead of a school like LSU or UF where they can smoke at their leisure, probably in the middle of meetings and practice, and never have to worry about it?

nope i wasn't referring to anyone person in my comments which would include your response earlier (i only said not directed to you sdogg because i was replying to him). i was referring to those who believe our policy is a good one and is working and it isn't and it's not. your points however doesn't mean the policy is correct at all. it's a moronic policy that only hurts uga and hurts it's student athletes. saying something is illegal so we should hammer a kid when other programs don't is ridiculous. no you can still punish, but not punish the team, your program, and hurt yourselves on the field to prove some moronic "hey we can punish our own more than you can".. there is a medium that we can reach that isn't what we are doing today.. and those holier than thou guys are in our administration primarily who want to pretend they are on some moral high ground by punishing our student athletes like they do. also this has a direct affect on our recruiting (this is being used against us by our rivals) and on our competing on the field against teams who are not suspending their players. so we can sit here and say "hey guys shoot ourselves in the foot" or maybe be reasonable. gentry had a great comment on this: Also silly IMO is an inflexible policy with inflexible consequences, but it is what it is ...

laugh.png

You are probably right. Any idea how much that is going to hurt our recruiting? These are college kids, you really think they don't/won't smoke weed? Why would they want to go to a school like UGA, where you can get suspended for just saying that you smoked, instead of a school like LSU or UF where they can smoke at their leisure, probably in the middle of meetings and practice, and never have to worry about it?

yep all of the schools have kids who smoke weed, but what is different is UGA and this high moral ground the powers in control want to pretend they have because they punish a kid more than our rivals. it's ridiculous and we both know it's being used against us when a kid knows if they go to lsu or uf and not miss a game when at uga they miss more games for the same offense. lsu, uf, auburn and other programs are "all in" and at uga it's not the case at all.

You expect Moore or (God Forbid) Norman to stop any deep pass from Boyd? He didn't do it any last year, so why would he now?

Obviously, I am not chalking up a loss, but things just changed drastically where this game was concerned. We went from having a great talent with good potential at S to having a walkon (or a guy that couldn't beat out that walkon) with "ehhh...." potential. Made much worse by the fact it is the position that needs to be completely on their game against an offense like Clemson. It is like losing a couple of starting interior OL right before playing Bama.

Also, two different sides of the spectrum? Stop trying to change the argument, it isn't about oral sex and pot being the same crime. You said that it was illegal so he deserves to be in trouble, oral sex is also illegal. If you've ever gotten a blowjob, you are a criminal and according to your earlier post, you deserve to be in trouble.

I do not have kids, but I know enough to be able to say that yes I would punish them for doing something wrong. I would not however, punish them for doing something that I thought was fine, but someone else incorrectly thought was wrong.

if i get caught receiving a blowjob i will gladly take that punishment. I will be the smiling guy on the cover of Busted magazine.

I just dont get why you guys are bashing the school. its not like they are hiding the rules from them and then punishing. No, they openly tell everyone the consequences and they still break the rules. You get caught, this is what happens.

if you dont like the rules or cant abide by them then be prepared for punishment.

plain and simple.

Sorry, but I had to stop in to LOL at those wanting to inflict physical violence upon the RA.

what do you think if that happened in tuscaloosa if an RA called in on an alabama player and turned them in for breaking the law? that person would have to leave town if that ended up in the player being suspended.. the physical harm part truly would be a concern at a lot of schools.