Could This Be Next Years Atlanta Falcons Starting De Opposite Osi

RYNE

Jared Allen - DL - Vikings

ESPN 1500 Twin Cities "guesses" that the 2013 season will be RE Jared Allen's last as a Viking.

Allen's contract situation has been a talking point over the past week. The 31-year-old is entering the final year of a six-year, $73.26 million contract, and there have been no extension talks between the sides. All five of Allen, DEs Brian Robison and Everson Griffen, and DTs Kevin Williams and Fred Evans are scheduled to be free agents in 2014. Griffen is expected to be "priority No. 1."

Obviously we are all expecting to be drafting pretty far down in the order come 2014, and that makes it very hard to get a real impact DE. Plus as a team we haven't done very well drafting D-Lineman historically. What do you guys think? He would be 32, has so far showed no signs of slowing down? This would give us a chance to add a linebacker, a big DT, an offensive lineman if what we try this year doesn't work out, or maybe even (God I hate this) a successor for Tony G if Toilolo doesn't show the progress we want.

Just breaking up the monotony around here, but this could be a possibility, I would explore it for the right price.

Edited by RYNE

if Allen is our DE that means that we have failed in draft room yet again and none of the young Des panned out and we got bigger issues

I don't see any issues bigger with our team than the pass rush. That statement is ridiculous

It would definitely strengthen the line. I fear it might hinder development though.

Yes it could. I mean obviously if Goodman, Moponga, Mass, or Matthews take a big step forward then there would be no need for this. But if none of them grab the starting job by the balls then I think Allen could make a lot of sense for us. SOMEONE on the roster needs to not win the starting DE job they need to TAKE it. They need to leave no doubt as to who should be on the field. I hope one of these men we have can step up.

If none of them do, then the possibility of getting a player like Allen could make sense for us to fix other need areas that may arise. Or it lets us just take the best player available

Edited by RYNE

Yes it could. I mean obviously if Goodman, Moponga, Mass, or Matthews take a big step forward then there would be no need for this. But if none of them grab the starting job by the balls then I think Allen could make a lot of sense for us. SOMEONE on the roster needs to not win the starting DE job they need to TAKE it. They need to leave no doubt as to who should be on the field. I hope one of these men we have can step up.

If none of them do, then the possibility of getting a player like Allen could make sense for us to fix other need areas that may arise. Or it lets us just take the best player available

I agree to an extent , if one of them shows real potential and is close to busting out and 'taking' it then bringing in Allen might just hurt that. On the other hand it might allow the younger guy a chance to learn from Allen. I guarantee though that Allen won't take a 1-2 yr deal. He is going to want a lot more , Which would definitely be bad as far as the young guys are concerned. I wonder if he'll get the cold shoulder all of the older guys did this, or will his name and history get him a team quickly?

Yeah, I'm going heavily on faith in coaching staff on this one. We'll see what happens in preseason.

I just can not imagine being one of these rookies or even the 2 DE's we drafted last year. I mean any of these guys have a golden opportunity to step in, turn some heads, and earn themselves the starting Defensive End job on this team. A team that is built to be successful for years to come. I would love to have a chance like that, the ONLY thing I would do is work out and watch tape.

I hope not

I think he's great but i'm not a fan of relying on 30+ year old players. I'm hoping at least one of our youngsters step up this season so we wont have to spend more money on that position. Even if we do sign Seymour, thats just a short term fix.

He will get too much money, much like Mario Williams (see how that worked out) and Cliff Avril. Plus... haven't we had enough defensive ends from the Vikings too ruin our defense?!

Are you somehow comparing Jared Allen to Ray Edwards? If so you should go wash your mouth out with soap.

He will get too much money, much like Mario Williams (see how that worked out) and Cliff Avril. Plus... haven't we had enough defensive ends from the Vikings too ruin our defense?!

Jared Allen won't get nearly that much. He'll be 32 years old going into next season.

I personally would rather have Kevin Williams. A huge hog like Williams in the middle of the DL would be awesome. I don't care that Williams will be 33 next season. (BTW didn't realize he was that old. Wow.) Seems like he's not been around that long.

I'm sorry

I do agree that "the pass rush " is the biggest problem. However comma

I do not think the problem lies with the outside rush by the DEs.

To me the problem is no inside pressure from the DTs.

Continuing to get more and more DEs is not going to solve anything,

They need to get some DTs capable of collapsing the pocket consistently.

Until they do that then the opposing QBs can step up in the pocket and avoid the DEs or the running QBs have a lane between the DEs and the DTs

Not adding better DTS this off-season is very hard for me to understand

Edited by delaigle

This maybe only be an amalgamation of the previous posts on this thread, but; 1) many of us believe that the FO has committed to develop our younger guys several of which have real potential. It's not as if all the younger guys are rookies --- some have been with the team 1 or more years and should be ready to take the 'next step.' This should be that year. 2) an older vet would be a one year stop gap, but if any of our young guys step up, one year would be about it for a high profile vet. Given the money he would want, even at age 31 yrs, I doubt the FO would 'pull-the -trigger' 3)The end-of-the-year evaluations at OL, DE, DT, and LB (if no one becomes an upgrading starter at one or more of these positions) will determine our first pick in the 2015 draft.

I'm sorry

I do agree that "the pass rush " is the biggest problem. However comma

I do not think the problem lies with the outside rush by the DEs.

To me the problem is no inside pressure from the DTs.

Continuing to get more and more DEs is not going to solve anything,

They need to get some DTs capable of collapsing the pocket consistently.

Until they do that then the opposing QBs can step up in the pocket and avoid the DEs or the running QBs have a lane between the DEs and the DTs

Not adding better DTS this off-season is very hard for me to understand

Exactly. It won't work without a force inside eating blocks. I nominate Sedrick Ellis for that job, if we cannot get Seymour. Ellis was used incorrectly his whole time in New Orleans.

Exactly. It won't work without a force inside eating blocks. I nominate Sedrick Ellis for that job, if we cannot get Seymour. Ellis was used incorrectly his whole time in New Orleans.

What we really need is a DT\NT who can defeat double teams at times, can Ellis do that? If so then bring him on...as long as he doesn't cost Haynesworth money.