How Fans Ruined Sports(Article)

Willy Mo

• The first thing wrong with fans is the need to label bandwagon fans as fans of a particular team. You can’t label bandwagon fans as a specific team’s fan since they won’t be there after a while. For instance, take the Heat since they are the most hated in the NBA right now. Believe it or not, the Heat had fans before 2010. The attendance statistics show us that the Heat were in the top 15 nine out of the last 13 years (being in the Top 5 for six of the last 13 years). Even before LeBron James and Chris Bosh came to town, the Heat were a popular team. Thus, when the floodgates opened, the bandwagoners came but they are not TRUE Heat fans and will probably leave to another team, like the Celtics and causing people to call them Celtics fans. But, wait….You can’t be a Heat fan AND Celtics fan. So, my problem is with people needing to label bandwagon fans with team X’s fan. First of all, it gives a bad name to the actual fanbase. Let’s be honest, if the team had NO true fans, the team wouldn’t even exist. Secondly, it shuts down the real fans from expressing their opinions because they are quickly dismissed as bandwagon fans. So, instead of labeling bandwagon fans as a certain team’s fan, just call them bandwagon fans. Also, the bigger bandwagon fans are the opponents of the best team in the league. The fans hate the team so much, they jump team to team waiting for that one team to beat the best so they can start trolling again.

• In addition, sports fans like to live in the past. They constantly talk about their Super Bowls from a decade or two ago, or the amazing World Series or their multiple championships from when no one was alive. We live in the present; How about we stop comparing the golden eras of the past, since we cannot time travel, and just enjoy what we have today? Why can’t we come together and enjoy Kobe’s clutchness before his retires, or Howard’s crazy antics?

But, can we PLEASE stop including athletes’ private life into their sports life? Who cares what party Aaron Rodgers went to or that Tiger Woods cheated on his wife? That’s his PERSONAL issues and it does not affect the fans. Sure, it might take a toll on his image but, honestly, why would that affect his pro career? If you are going to discuss the performances of the athletes, do not include stories about their personal lives, unless it specifically affects you.

untitled.png?w=470&h=738

• The logical reasoning for most fans are thrown out the window when discussing sports. For instance: Big guy falls = he is a flopper; Someone defends Kobe/Tom Brady/Lebron/A-Rod equals being a “dickrider” ; someone you have never met or know about is rooting for a team? He must be a bandwagoner. But, you know what? Big guys fall when they don’t expect a push; defending a player against irrational comments isn’t “dickriding”, and you don’t have to know every stat or go to every game or name every past player to be a fan of a team.

http://isportslife.w...-ruined-sports/

thoughts?

I hate the term "bandwagon fan" the only sports that would apply to me would be basketball and baseball. Every other team Ive gone for Ive been loyal to that team. In basketball I watched MJ and now I like Kobe. In baseball it was Ken Griffey Jr. I would go for whatever team he was on. Now that the FO and Cox have left the Braves Im now a Braves fan. I used to pull for the Braves, but after they traded Gant (my favorite player) I couldnt pull for them anymore.

Football is really the ONLY sport I take seriously, and Ive been a fan of the same two teams since I was a child. Them being UGA and Dallas.

I have also always been a Red Wings fan. Even though I dont get to watch them as much as Id like to.

I don't have a basketball team, I say I pull for GS because I'm a curry fan since college and I live in California. Also, laker fans annoy me. The most spoiled franchise in the world. I'm more a fan of players. I enjoy watching the best play. That's why I usually watch every Miami game, LeBron is the best in the world and I would like to say I saw him play at his absolute best.

I say fans have ruined sports by acting as if their team was drafted from a separate pool of humanity than all the other teams.

Reasoning and objectivity has flown right out the door with many you see anymore. They act like everything their team does is beyond reproach, and those that disagree are nothing short of scum. You see it on nearly every NFL message board, it's just been more predominant in RC lately.

Reasoning and objectivity has flown right out the door with many you see anymore. They act like everything their team does is beyond reproach, and those that disagree are nothing short of scum. You see it on nearly every NFL message board, it's just been more predominant in RC lately.

I have seen Steeler fans point fingers at other teams players, lol.

I don't have a basketball team, I say I pull for GS because I'm a curry fan since college and I live in California. Also, laker fans annoy me. The most spoiled franchise in the world. I'm more a fan of players. I enjoy watching the best play. That's why I usually watch every Miami game, LeBron is the best in the world and I would like to say I saw him play at his absolute best.

Thats how i feel about most sports except football.

I hate the term "bandwagon fan" the only sports that would apply to me would be basketball and baseball. Every other team Ive gone for Ive been loyal to that team. In basketball I watched MJ and now I like Kobe. In baseball it was Ken Griffey Jr. I would go for whatever team he was on. Now that the FO and Cox have left the Braves Im now a Braves fan. I used to pull for the Braves, but after they traded Gant (my favorite player) I couldnt pull for them anymore.

Football is really the ONLY sport I take seriously, and Ive been a fan of the same two teams since I was a child. Them being UGA and Dallas.

I have also always been a Red Wings fan. Even though I dont get to watch them as much as Id like to.

burt+gif.gif

I take it this is a recent development?

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3950601-how-to-identify-a-bandwagon-fan/#entry6886554

Who is anyone to define how someone else should or shouldnt enjoy the game?

I don't know sugar. Perhaps you should ask yourself that, given that you made a whole thread attempting to do just that.

Nope no bandwagon fan here...

PS Ron Gant was traded to the Reds.wub.png

I THINK ONE PROBLEM WITH TODAYS FANDOM (if I may use this term). IS THAT TODAYS FAN (not all, but a lot) ARE NOT VERY GOOD SPORTSMEN. THEY THINK WINNING IS A RIGHT. THEY THINK THAT THEY HAVE A RIGHT TO WIN. THEY DON'T HAVE TO WORK FOR IT, THEY DON'T HAVE TO PUT ANY EFFORT IN IT, ALL THEY HAVE TO DO IS CLAIM IT. MANY OF TODAYS NFL FANS DON'T EVER SEE THE CLOSNESS OF FOOTBALL TO EVERYDAY LIFE. SOMETIMES IN EVERYDAY LIFE YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING RIGHT .... AND STILL NOT COME OUT ON TOP. THE SAME APPLIES TO THE NFL. YOU CAN DO IT ALL RIGHT ... AND IT STILL COMES OUT WRONG. THE NFL FAN TODAY THINK THEY KNOW ABOUT VICTORY (and some might) BUT THEY HAVE NO CONCEPTION OF DEFEAT. DEFEAT DESTROYS THEIR VERY SOULS. TO TRULY KNOW THE NFL .... YOU BETTER UNDERSTAND THEM BOTH .... VICTORY .... AND ... DEFEAT. UNDERSTANDING ONLY VICTORY PREVENTS YOU FROM BEING A SPORTSMAN. THERE LAY THE END OF THE LESSION.cool.png

I'm not whining. Who gave people the right to harm another being? I don't care if they are the worst player in the planet...... at least they MADE it to the pros while the people "hating" are watching from their house......

Do you honestly think that when a fan screams out something like I wish that guy would break a leg that they actually do? I have heard it 1000s of times in my life and know that pretty much all of them were out of frustration and had little to do with reality.

If anything I am more annoyed by the holier than thou fans who pretend they don't say or do stupid ish. I am not talking about violence , but the things that come out our mouths , and the stuff that we do is hilarious. Go search Youtube for 20 mins. I could find a million videos of fans being idiots.