I Love The Trufant Pick, But That 3Rd Rounder...

could have gotten us Brandon Williams, Sam Montgomery, Zavier Gooden, Akeem Spence, Alex Okafor, Barrett Jones, Khaseem Greene, or Sean Porter. I know I know, what's done is done, but ANY of those picks would have made me feel a lot better about our situation going into next year. Sorry just had to rant

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

could have gotten us Brandon Williams, Sam Montgomery, Zavier Gooden, Akeem Spence, Alex Okafor, Barrett Jones, Khaseem Greene, or Sean Porter. I know I know, what's done is done, but ANY of those picks would have made me feel a lot better about our situation going into next year. Sorry just had to rant

Same was said about the Julio Jones trade. (not comparing Jones to Trufant) BUT people were upset about all of those picks we gave away. Looking back on it now it is obvious we got the better end of the deal. Only time will tell what "could have been" but I am happy we made the deal. TD said he was targeting Trufant all along, and went up and got his man.

Randawg:

I appreciate a good ol rant and have to sharply dissagree.

The Falcons are in critical condition at CB.

Trufant and Alford had to be drafted.

If you you are weak at Corner, one injury will have a devastingimpacy on the

entire team.

The reason that we are still in critical condition is because our picks have not

yet played a down in the NFL.

When we watch these guys, we will know after the firstpreseason game, who

is who and who is not.

But had we missed on Trufant, this team would have been placed in the ICU.

Sorry to be so descriptive, but better that, than me going off, due to the corners.

You gotta trust me Sept 2009,,,,,Never Forget!

That was the year TD overlooked the CB's and I destroyed TATF.

understand the trepidation about losing a "top 100" pick - but 3rd rounders BUST all the time. You want your team's NFL GM to have conviction about his picks - and clearly Dimitroff does. I remember for years and years and years the Falcons - would just sit there - not trade up or back and make their picks - Gosh it was boring....Up until Dan Reeves traded up for Michael Vick, Falcons were the most boring (and awful) drafting team ever.

I like the aggressiveness. I'm sure one of the players you listed will end up being a good player - but which one?

glad we got Trufant - as long as he pans out, it was a good trade.

understand the trepidation about losing a "top 100" pick - but 3rd rounders BUST all the time. You want your team's NFL GM to have conviction about his picks - and clearly Dimitroff does. I remember for years and years and years the Falcons - would just sit there - not trade up or back and make their picks - Gosh it was boring....Up until Dan Reeves traded up for Michael Vick, Falcons were the most boring (and awful) drafting team ever.

I like the aggressiveness. I'm sure one of the players you listed will end up being a good player - but which one?

Randawg sounds a bit miffed that we lost out on the woulda coulda players.

He will likely do what the rest of us do when we do not draft a player that

we were high on,,,,,,and that is to track the players careers.

I will be looking for Randawg to get active with some good mock drafts in

a couple of years due to this.

biggrin.png

Sorry to be so descriptive, but better that, than me going off, due to the corners.

Isn't this a lot of melodramatic glibb. There were many very good CB's available, if we had not gotten Trufant. The problem with locking in on one player is that you lose site of the overall picture. Trufant may very well turn out to a very good CB. But some of the experts have said, that he times much better than he plays, he does not make interceptions, and his tackling is suspect. Yes we were critically short of CB's but that was our own doing letting Robinson and Grimes go.

The fact is, now we are critically short of LB's and need at least one UDFA to step up. That is a tall order. We are short on D lineman as well (no nose tackle). I am praying that it all works out but it will be tough, especially if we have any injuries. I would love to see a Falcons draft where we don't trade away picks. Stay put and trust that the player you covet will fall to you. I think Trufant would have been there at 30, but we will never know now.

Isn't this a lot of melodramatic glibb. There were many very good CB's available, if we had not gotten Trufant. The problem with locking in on one player is that you lose site of the overall picture. Trufant may very well turn out to a very good CB. But some of the experts have said, that he times much better than he plays, he does not make interceptions, and his tackling is suspect. Yes we were critically short of CB's but that was our own doing letting Robinson and Grimes go.

The fact is, now we are critically short of LB's and need at least one UDFA to step up. That is a tall order. We are short on D lineman as well (no nose tackle). I am praying that it all works out but it will be tough, especially if we have any injuries. I would love to see a Falcons draft where we don't trade away picks. Stay put and trust that the player you covet will fall to you. I think Trufant would have been there at 30, but we will never know now.

we tried the "stay put" for 42 years and it did not work very well.

the falcons "stayed put" and drafted Peria Jerry - LOL.

you make some valid points on the DT and LB situations but there is something to be said for "geting your guy" versus "taking who is left over" at your pick.

Yes, and keeping that 3rd pick would have cost us Trufant. So what would be your choice?

This x100...

Cpt. Hindsight is always right, but I trust TD and I like his aggressiveness. That is what got us Matt Ryan, JJ, TGunz, etc...

Actually I refrained from an all out blood thirsty rampage.

Grimes was a gonner and the writing was on the wall with Dunta,

due to his failure to grasp the ever changing rules of the game.

He never improved his play.

(Knock a player down vs wraping up.)

Anyone remember Aundray Bruce? First overall pick to the Falcons in 1988. Never did anything much here. Dimitroff has done much, much better.

we tried the "stay put" for 42 years and it did not work very well.

the falcons "stayed put" and drafted Peria Jerry - LOL.

you make some valid points on the DT and LB situations but there is something to be said for "geting your guy" versus "taking who is left over" at your pick.

All those years were like putting salt in a wound. I'm surprised I didn't loose intrest.

Stay put and trust that the player you covet will fall to you. I think Trufant would have been there at 30, but we will never know now.

There has seemed to be a pretty strong consensus between media and NFL front offices (including our own) that Trufant would have been snapped up by the Vikings had he fell just that one spot. Networks seemed to say that on draft day, and following the draft I've heard TD mention this (I believe TD's best ''sound-bite'' of this is during his speech at the state of the franchise event).

Personally, I really appreciate the targeted and uncompromising approach to draft day; we get the players we know and want, we can plan team construction and roster moves further in advance (knowing we should get X player), plus we can also scheme and strategize plays / formations etc. further in advance.

If TD's track record wasn't so stellar, perhaps I could be convinced otherwise, but with the success we have achieved in the past few years, plus the exciting potential of the youth of the team, I support(ed) TD's draft philosophy fully.

To get the gist of this post in a single sentence, consult my sig.

Edited by CoachAtl

3rd round picks

Chevis Jackson-bad pick

HD - contributes

Owens - bad pick / SPT - part reason why we had to give up a 3rd rounder

Peters- contributes

Dent - bad pick / SPT

Holmes - ?

I think TD would have been hit/miss even if had kept the 3rd round pick...happy with Trufant.

Dent wasn't a bad pick. The guy has only started one year. This is the NFL. Other players are good too