Defensive Draft - Are We Going To See A Lot Of 'big Nickel'?

I am still kind of puzzling over not drafting a single LB and 2 safeties. I have seen a couple mentions of bulking them up and converting one or both of them to OLB, but the heaviest of the two is 213...you're talking about 20 lbs. here, and how much speed is the guy going to lose bulking up that much?

I don't really believe we drafted either of those safeties to bulk up and convert into OLB's, I think it was a combination of depth (Moore is a solid player but misses games with injuries), and Nolan wanting to solidify his nickel package. From what I understand, a 'big nickel' setup has 3 safeties typically, so if this is what Nolan is after, I guess it makes sense...then you have 4 safeties on the roster, 1 to use that big nickel package, 2 regular starters, and 1 reserve for injuries/depth and special teams.

We DO run a lot of nickel, and will need to against NO...not so much against TB and CAR, but I'm kind of wondering what the thought process is running the big nickel...I guess it's supposed to be 'big' enough to adequately handle screens and draws, but good enough coverage to serve that end as well?

I sure hope some of these UFA's in the front 7 end up being diamonds in the rough, our LB situation makes me really nervous this year. An OL UFA surprising everyone by being better than expected would be good too...I like the Jackson signing, but it won't do much good if he's got no holes to run through - that was a big problem last year.

None if the safety's will move full time to LB. will they drop in the box some like a LB? Yes, they are good tacklers who can help in the run. With the new corners we will play a lot more man leaving guys 1 on 1.

As far as the LBs go Spoon isn't going anywhere. Dent was a first year starter who isn't getting replaced yet. He was getting better and will get a chance to keep getting better. If another young guy out plays him in camp he could get replaced.

Nichs is still a solid player. Could we upgrade there? Yes, but it just didn't work out in the draft. Plus not to many rookie LBs come in and play well on 3rd downs in passing situations. If none of the young guys steps up we will draft a guy or pick up a FA next year. Possible 2.

I could see Mota playing the position. If he can play at the NFL level.

Here you have a big and sure tackler who is a safety, coming up to the nickle.

At this point you have a kinda sorta Safety, CB, Line Backing Hybrid.

We know that Zeke does not have the weight to play LB.

On the other hand I could be totally delusional.

I read somewhere that TD was targeting a linebacker but the guy he wanted was gone by the time we were up. I guess, like a lot of other positions, we're going to let the young guys compete and hope someone really shines.

I read somewhere that TD was targeting a linebacker but the guy he wanted was gone by the time we were up. I guess, like a lot of other positions, we're going to let the young guys compete and hope someone really shines.

TD talked about if it worked our we were looking at some Weakside linebackers, then just said linebackers. Not sure what round or who we were looking at, but my hunch was Sean Porter. Not sure if we wanted a LB over what we got or what.

TD talked about if it worked our we were looking at some Weakside linebackers, then just said linebackers. Not sure what round or who we were looking at, but my hunch was Sean Porter. Not sure if we wanted a LB over what we got or what.

He said that position was not priority and didn't see value in picking a LB over other positions. Just listen to the interview people.

The only LB we were going for was Jamie Collins I believe. That's because he can play every position on the defense damnear. He can play DE, LB and was a converted safety so he can cover. He was a perfect hybrid piece but the Pats snatched him. Why do you think we've been scouting So Miss the last two years? Not for Holmes.

I just don't understand why this board thought we were replacing any of our LBs. That was never happening. Spoon is safe. Dent improved every game. Nic struggled against the RO, just like every one else, but the TE was not his fault. Plus, he led the team in tackles. Yes, we need depth, but they won't play unless 2 of the starting 3 goes down.

I hope Nolan scraps the big nickel unless he adds some wrinkles. The big nickel got abused in the play offs, Falcons ran it for 12 snaps and TE had a party and Nolan had to scrap it. Offenses catch up pretty fast and adjust to the defensive play calling.

After suffering through the BVG years of passive zone defense, I don't want to see a passive zone scheme ~ or any variation of said scheme ~ ever again in my life. Let's get aggressive on defense and at least try to take the play away from the offense. At least try to apply some heat on the QB.

After suffering through the BVG years of passive zone defense, I don't want to see a passive zone scheme ~ or any variation of said scheme ~ ever again in my life. Let's get aggressive on defense and at least try to take the play away from the offense. At least try to apply some heat on the QB.

We will be more aggressive and blitz more now that we have some man cover corners.

Desert_Falcon, you might find interesting this article on the big nickel:

http://www.cbssports...enses-this-fall

I doubt that Nolan will choose to run any scheme which doesn't suit the skills of the best available personnel. The nickel safety has to have coverage skills. These coverage skills can't be at the expense of the other two safeties in the formation. Therefore, the problem can't be solved by simply making Decoud or Moore the nickel safety. I don't see another safety on the roster with proven coverage skills, and it is a bit premature to assume that either of the rookie (seventh-round) safeties can fulfill that role. They haven't even made it through their first training camp.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out. The first preseason game can't get here soon enough.

The only LB we were going for was Jamie Collins I believe. That's because he can play every position on the defense damnear. He can play DE, LB and was a converted safety so he can cover. He was a perfect hybrid piece but the Pats snatched him. Why do you think we've been scouting So Miss the last two years? Not for Holmes.

I just don't understand why this board thought we were replacing any of our LBs. That was never happening. Spoon is safe. Dent improved every game. Nic struggled against the RO, just like every one else, but the TE was not his fault. Plus, he led the team in tackles. Yes, we need depth, but they won't play unless 2 of the starting 3 goes down.

^^^^^^ This

Not to mention we have a ton of LB talent in our rookies - Bartu, Worrilow, Clancy, Schiller, and Banks