Fired For Writing The Word Negro? In A Spanish Class?

lilhoney

If this is true, the world needs to go ahead and end itself.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Education/2013/0525/Fired-for-word-Negro-in-Spanish-class?.tsrc=tmobustoday

Take the case of Petrona Smith. She says in a lawsuit that she was fired from teaching at Bronx PS 211 in March 2012 after a seventh-grader reported that she'd used the "N" word, according to The New York Post.

'Negro.'

Smith doesn't deny using the word. But she argues that everyone uses it, when speaking Spanish. She was teaching the Spanish words for different colors, and the color "black" in Spanish is "negro." She also taught the junior high school students, in this bilingual school, that the Spanish term for black people is "moreno." And by the way, Smith, who is from the West Indies, is black.

Context is everything.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um Moreno isnt Spanish for black person because Morenos have social power over the negritos.

It was inappropriate. if she just randomly pulled it out.

LOL, reading comprehension fail?

She was fired for using the word negro which means black ,when teaching a Spanish class,

How is that an inappropriate use of the word? Should we just change the Spanish language now?

LOL, reading comprehension fail?

She was fired for using the word negro which means black ,when teaching a Spanish class,

How is that an inappropriate use of the word? Should we just change the Spanish language now?

She is in the bronx FFS. Its not like the vast majority of the kids in there dont either

a) Come from spanish speaking households(Puerto Rican,Dominican) households

or

B) Have enough spanish speaking friends to know exactly what it is.

They knew the colors, and for her to just throw out negro during the course was inappropriate. They know what it is, and it didnt need to be said.

She knew she had goofed and tried to backtrack by saying blacks are called morenas when that is false.

Morena

Zoe-Saldana-Widescreen-Wallpaper-zoe-saldana-9784255-1920-1200.jpg

Negro/Negrito

mf_673748559.jpg

They are very different things in Latin America. A woman who doesnt even know that shouldnt even be speaking spanish to kids at all, much less teaching them by writing negro on the board.

She is in the bronx FFS. Its not like the vast majority of the kids in there dont either

or

cool.png Have enough spanish speaking friends to know exactly what it is.

They knew the colors, and for her to just throw out negro during the course was inappropriate. They know what it is, and it didnt need to be said.

She knew she had goofed and tried to backtrack by saying blacks are called morenas when that is false.

Morena

Negro/Negrito

mf_673748559.jpg

They are very different things in Latin America. A woman who doesnt even know that shouldnt even be speaking spanish to kids at all, much less teaching them by writing negro on the board.

Wow...just wow.

So she should not teach spanish words in a Spanish class becaus kids know thw words.

So in your opinion, teaching English is an English class should be done away with.

And it does not matter what political points you are attemping to make here. Most spanish speaking people I know use both negro and Moreno in their everyday speak, fFS.

Wow...just wow.

So she should not teach spanish words in a Spanish class becaus kids know thw words.

So in your opinion, teaching English is an English class should be done away with.

And it does not matter what political points you are attemping to make here. Most spanish speaking people I know use both negro and Moreno in their everyday speak, fFS.

She knew what she was doing. It was inappropriate IMO.

There was a huge scandal last year about this Uruguyan guy calling an African player negrito. People use this word in inapproriate ways, and I wouldnt be surprised if she was using it in an offensive way during the class. There would be no other reason she would try to back track and bring Moreno up when they arent the same.

Nothing is wrong with using Moreno in context, but you might want to check your friends to make sure they arent using it in an offensive way. Context is everything.

and as far as my friends use of it, I have heard them use the words to describe cars, dark clothing, skin tone and wheat bread, so I will have to ask the cars,clothing and wheat bread if they are offended I suppose.

I will get back to you with the answers

She knew what she was doing. It was inappropriate IMO.

There was a huge scandal last year about this Uruguyan guy calling an African player negrito. People use this word in inapproriate ways, and I wouldnt be surprised if she was using it in an offensive way during the class. There would be no other reason she would try to back track and bring Moreno up when they arent the same.

Nothing is wrong with using Moreno in context, but you might want to check your friends to make sure they arent using it in an offensive way. Context is everything.

The word moreno isn't even offensive...its the opposite. Then saying negro in Spanish class...it isn't used as an offensive term. Now, it was you about 3-4 years ago who made a stink about learning Spanish. I started, as well as Portugese. One of the pastors I deal with is from Panama.

This is blown out of proportion. Having family from the caribbean, Africa, Europe, and friends of all languages I can tell you...that's not the way its done by everyone from Spanish speaking countries.

BTW: There is a difference between negrito and negro.

or

B) Have enough spanish speaking friends to know exactly what it is.

Morena

Negro/Negrito

mf_673748559.jpg

This is very sad. Mainly because you are completely wrong. In Spain, moreno is the term for black people. Moreno claro are light-skinned black people. "Spanish" class does not teach Latin American dialects or slang. "Spanish" class teaches traditional Spanish as spoken in Spain. This is very different than Latin America Spanish. I took several years of Spanish and you learn the term negro very early. It's ignorant to think it shouldn't be in the curriculum because of a high percentage of the class knowing the term. It's even more ignorant to think it's inappropriate in the class when one child and his parents obviously did not know what the very common terms meant in Spanish.

Maybe we should just ignore it so that kid goes to Spain, gets in fights over a term that is not considered racist, goes to prison for a violent crime, and feels like he was a victim when he was just ignorant with their language. That's much better than teaching the Spanish meaning of the terms.

This is very sad. Mainly because you are completely wrong. In Spain, moreno is the term for black people. Moreno claro are light-skinned black people. "Spanish" class does not teach Latin American dialects or slang. "Spanish" class teaches traditional Spanish as spoken in Spain. This is very different than Latin America Spanish. I took several years of Spanish and you learn the term negro very early. It's ignorant to think it shouldn't be in the curriculum because of a high percentage of the class knowing the term. It's even more ignorant to think it's inappropriate in the class when one child and his parents obviously did not know what the very common terms meant in Spanish.

Maybe we should just ignore it so that kid goes to Spain, gets in fights over a term that is not considered racist, goes to prison for a violent crime, and feels like he was a victim when he was just ignorant with their language. That's much better than teaching the Spanish meaning of the terms.

Who gives a fuk about Spain?

She was in the bronx teaching spanish to people more than likely from latin America and what Spanish people in Spain think about race is completely different.

Morenas for the most part over here in the new world, you know where people actually have jobs and cant spend all day watching Real oyoyoyoyoyoosasuna lose 100 nil to Barcelona while booing the african players, Morena is more in like with those of mixed white/native and African ancestry. They are not the same as more prominent dark skin Africans.

They basically say the same things we do. No real change and even that's stereotyping based on language...from place to place Spain, Puerto Rico, Mexico, etc...all different

Who gives a fuk about Spain?

She was in the bronx teaching spanish to people more than likely from latin America and what Spanish people in Spain think about race is completely different.

Morenas for the most part over here in the new world, you know where people actually have jobs and cant spend all day watching Real oyoyoyoyoyoosasuna lose 100 nil to Barcelona while booing the african players, Morena is more in like with those of mixed white/native and African ancestry. They are not the same as more prominent dark skin Africans.

You're wrong man and you know it.