Offseason Review: Nfc South

jb 3.0

May 22, 2013

Each Wednesday, NFP will take a look at how one of the NFL’s eight divisions did in the offseason. Today, the NFC South.

Most improved team: Bucs.

They lost a couple of solid defensive linemen in Michael Bennett and Roy Miller. But the Bucs won’t need as much pass rush with the improvements they made in the secondary. They added one of the best safeties in the league in Dashon Goldson, the best cornerback in the league in Darrelle Revis and one of the best cornerbacks in the draft in Johnthan Banks. Derek Landri also was signed to give the Bucs some interior pass rush and offset the free agent losses. On the other side of the ball, the Bucs made Josh Freeman’s seat a little hotter, and the depth at the quarterback position better, by drafting Mike Glennon. You could make an argument for the Falcons being the most improved as well, as their additions included Steven Jackson and Osi Umenyiora. But they suffered some losses, including John Abraham, Tyson Clabo, Brent Grimes and Dunta Robinson.

Biggest veteran move: Darrelle Revis to the Bucs.

The trade that took forever finally got done, and the Bucs ended up with the best cornerback in football. It’s fair to question the move because Revis is soon to be 28, coming off a knee injury and very well compensated. But even critics have to concede Revis easily is the best cornerback in the NFL if he is what he was, or close to it. He has the capacity to change the Bucs defense and make a lot of players around him better. Given the way division rivals can throw the ball with receivers like Julio Jones, Roddy White, Steve Smith and Marques Colston, Revis can tilt the power in the division.

Best draft addition: Desmond Trufant to the Falcons.

They needed a cornerback badly after losing Dunta Robinson and Brent Grimes, and general manager Thomas Dimitroff pulled the trigger on a trade to move up seven spots to take Trufant. In Trufant, the Falcons have a tough corner with all-around skills who should be able to step in and play quickly.

Best under the radar move: Keenan Lewis to the Saints.

It was the Bucs’ acquisition of Revis that got all the attention, but Lewis in many ways is a perfect fit for the Saints. The former Steeler wasn’t overly pricey (the New Orleans native said he gave the Saints a hometown discount), he has good size and is physical and he doesn’t have a lot of miles on him. His presence in the New Orleans secondary should allow new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan to let the blitzes rip.

Dan Pompei covers pro football for the Chicago Tribune at chicagotribune.com.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was a great off eason for the entire NFC South. I think every team has improved itself. Unfortunately, in my eyes, My birds are the only team who lost, IMO important vets like clabo and Abe.

I think Carolina will have the DROY in Star.

I think the Saints and Bucs will absolutely be better this year and have a better record to show for it.

I like Trufant, but CB is an area with a steep learning curve so I don't expect any instant impact at that area.

I do think we will be fine this year. I think 11 wins tho. at this point I would rather go into the playoffs as a road team.

But yea, I am truly excited about this year both as a Falcons fan mostly and a football fan in general.

I think it was a great off eason for the entire NFC South. I think every team has improved itself. Unfortunately, in my eyes, My birds are the only team who lost, IMO important vets like clabo and Abe.

I think Carolina will have the DROY in Star.

I think the Saints and Bucs will absolutely be better this year and have a better record to show for it.

I like Trufant, but CB is an area with a steep learning curve so I don't expect any instant impact at that area.

I do think we will be fine this year. I think 11 wins tho. at this point I would rather go into the playoffs as a road team.

But yea, I am truly excited about this year both as a Falcons fan mostly and a football fan in general.

I thought it was a very good breakdown, and agree that the Falcons improved as much if not more than anybody, I just believe like Pompei said, adding Goldson and a healthy Revis to Tampa's woeful secondary was a huge boon to that defense, and if Freeman doesn't meltdown our record should prove it. But, at this point it's anybody's guess who's gonna take the 2013 NFCS Title.

I thought it was a very good breakdown, and agree that the Falcons improved as much if not more than anybody, I just believe like Pompei said, adding Goldson and a healthy Revis to Tampa's woeful secondary was a huge boon to that defense, and if Freeman doesn't meltdown our record should prove it. But, at this point it's anybody's guess who's gonna take the 2013 NFCS Title.

No doubt, at this point I think the Falcons are the favorites, but as I said in the other thread I think the Bucs are going to make a serious push for the division this season. The Saints still have to many unknowns in defense for me to say they're going to win the division this year eventhough I'm hoping they do. As for the Panthers, well they seem to be poised to make a move considering the way they ended the last season, but I want to see how Cam handles the new OC's offense. Their defense though may be best in the division as it stands now.

going into this season, barring something catastrophic like a starting QB going out, you could realistically say that any team in the south that doesn't make the playoffs has underachieved because they are all capable.

I would go on record saying that the teams I feel don't really have a chance are Philly, Arizona, and Chicago. I think Chicago is going to stink it up this year. Other than that, everything is wide open. Reggie Bush makes Detroit's offense scary...it isn't like Megatron needed help beasting but the addition of another legitimate offensive threat is going to make things difficult on opposing defenses.

going into this season, barring something catastrophic like a starting QB going out, you could realistically say that any team in the south that doesn't make the playoffs has underachieved because they are all capable.

I would go on record saying that the teams I feel don't really have a chance are Philly, Arizona, and Chicago. I think Chicago is going to stink it up this year. Other than that, everything is wide open. Reggie Bush makes Detroit's offense scary...it isn't like Megatron needed help beasting but the addition of another legitimate offensive threat is going to make things difficult on opposing defenses.

Agreed on all points, but I'd add the J E T S to that list of teams with little to no chance.

sorry, I should have specified I was talking about the NFC

I should've realized that, but when you listed those three teams, my first thought was, wait a minute, the Jets are gonna be lucky to win 4 games this season.

So the Falcons made the best draft move to trade up and select a corner that may have been there with their original pick? Meanwhile the Panthers stay put at 14 and fill their biggest need with a top 3-5 player in this draft.

Seems legit.

picking a guy that falls to you really doesn't seem like a "move".

picking a guy that falls to you really doesn't seem like a "move".

Except the original post said "best draft addition." There isn't really a legitimate way to argue that Trufant was a better addition to his team than Star was to the Panthers. Star was/is the better prospect, filled a larger need for his team, and Carolina didn't have to trade up and lose subsequent picks to get him. He was their guy all along, much like Trufant likely was for the Falcons. The difference lies in the quality of the prospect and the spot in which he was picked.

Except the original post said "best draft addition." There isn't really a legitimate way to argue that Trufant was a better addition to his team than Star was to the Panthers. Star was/is the better prospect, filled a larger need for his team, and Carolina didn't have to trade up and lose subsequent picks to get him. He was their guy all along, much like Trufant likely was for the Falcons. The difference lies in the quality of the prospect and the spot in which he was picked.

Yeah that's when I call BS too.

So the Falcons made the best draft move to trade up and select a corner that may have been there with their original pick? Meanwhile the Panthers stay put at 14 and fill their biggest need with a top 3-5 player in this draft.

Seems legit.

Carolina fan crying again

Seems legit.

You are so easy to make fun of it isn't even fun anymore.

I am not Ready to say Bucs had the best offseason yet

we just dont know

all hinges on Revis

and Falcons have had a very good offseason

resigning W Moore, S Baker , and TG

and bringing in 3 pro bowl Free Agents (assuming they sign Seymore) 2 Starting DLineman and a Starting HB ...2 of the 3 with Super Bowl Rings...

add in the 2 corners, who on film look to be solid they drafted with their first 2 picks

and you cant ask for a much better offseason from a 13-3 team that was less than 10 yds away from a SB last yr.....

still tho

lets see what all these guys do on the Field, we will know by Oct who had the best offseason I am sure....

we just dont know

all hinges on Revis

and bringing in 3 pro bowl Free Agents (assuming they sign Seymore) 2 Starting DLineman and a Starting HB ...2 of the 3 with Super Bowl Rings...

add in the 2 corners, who on film look to be solid they drafted with their first 2 picks

and you cant ask for a much better offseason from a 13-3 team that was less than 10 yds away from a SB last yr.....

still tho

lets see what all these guys do on the Field, we will know by Oct who had the best offseason I am sure....

Even tho I don't think it will happen, I still want Abe back.

Even tho I don't think it will happen, I still want Abe back.

we all love Abe

but they are negotiating R Seymores Contract as we speak I shyt you not....

He and the rookies will be all we have in cap space, Abe wont be back, our Depth Chart is pretty much set....

only starting spots that are not sealed barring Injury is RT and RG, and RT is almost a Guarantee it will be L Holmes and Reynolds has the inside track on RG considering he was our starter there before he got hurt last yr ....

S Jax Replaces Turner

Osi replaces Abe

Trufant replaces DRob

L Holmes replaces Clabo

Konz replaces McClure

Alford is our new Returner

Peters will now be the 1st rotation Guy at DT with RS getting the Start beside Babs

Either ,Bigger, younger, stronger, Faster or more versatile in every spot we replaced IMO

and for sure much deeper than yrs past

we just dont know

all hinges on Revis

still tho

OF COURSE YOUR NOT! With every post, your credibility can be seen flying out the window! literally EVERY move the Falcons make is superb while any other rivals move is at best...questionable.rolleyes.gif

JB, how soon you forget! All of our players age like the rest of us mere mortals! If a player is even remotely on the Falcons' radar, they revert back to their heyday! Brees is a year older and already has one foot in the grave according to Shred, but Gonzales, Richard Seymour, and every other aged veteran on the Falcons roster is running around like an 18 year old with a woody!

JB, how soon you forget! All of our players age like the rest of us mere mortals! If a player is even remotely on the Falcons' radar, they revert back to their heyday! Brees is a year older and already has one foot in the grave according to Shred, but Gonzales, Richard Seymour, and every other aged veteran on the Falcons roster is running around like an 18 year old with a woody!

So very, very true!